cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

tr3innh
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5000 Series CPU and RX 6800 GPU availability

So, I've watched the live video feeds of the newest releases of AMD the Ryzen 5000 Series CPU and the RX 6800 Series GPU.  Here's my question, as a company that is ready to take gaming to the "next level" why would they not have enough inventory on hand to fulfill pre-orders etc...  I have been looking for the CPU since it's release date and have yet to find one available unless in a pre-build rig.  Same for the GPU.  What gives?  Any useful feedback greatly appreciated.

2 Replies

Between material shortages from Asian countries where they're made leading to a very small inventory once they're divided out between the AIBs and then to multiple retail locations in dozens of countries, OEMs (HP, Acer, etc...) getting a large cut of the cards for their machines, bot scammers sapping inventory as soon as it's made available for sale, and cryptominers quickly sapping most of the rest of the cards, there's just not enough GPUs to saturate the retail channel, and there won't be until months into 2021, and even then it's questionable and they will quite likely all be above "Recommended Retail Pricing", so don't expect to get an affordable RX 6000, or RTX 3000 series card for that matter, until likely 2021 if not 2022.

As far as CPUs go, going by UK retailer Scan, which will likely hold true with major retailers in the USA and Europe as well, a large amount of Ryzen 5000 series processors are incoming, so availability shouldn't be much of an issue much longer.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ryzen-4000-cpu-re-supply-scan

Thanks...It's quite difficult to find any info about CPU availibility!! Got all my parts, still in boxes...Without a CPU, didn't see the point of unboxing anything, 2020 really s**ks!!! :)

0 Likes