Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

WYLIE
Adept I

Ryzen 5 2400G and windows 11

Hi all,

Why is the ryzen 5 2400G not supported for windows 11 .

I feel let down by AMD.

Not sure I will be buying any AMD chipped products again as they don't seem to care about the people who buy there products

16 Replies

The reason why MICROSOFT doesn't support your APU in Windows 11 is because it is a ZEN orZEN1 processor. Only AMD ZEN+ or newer are supported by Windows 11.

Zen processors are all the 1at Generation processors and the 2000 Series APU are all considered to be 1st generation processor.

AMD has no final say about which CPUs Windows 11 supports or not. Only Microsoft has the responsibility.

Sorry but all the blame can be Microsoft, they must work with chip manufactures on what will work when they start developing Windows 11.

I have a perfectly good PC, I'm not going to spend lots of money on a new one, why can't AMD offer a very cheap upgraded APU/CPU to people who bought what your calling the first generation chip, (after all with out us customers, your product may have failed). The new call to make things repairable or upgradeable to help save the planet is obviously not something that AMD seem to be part of.

May anyone who is even slightly "Green", should avoid AMD products until it starts to share this approach.

Finally both AMD and Microsoft are going to lose a lot of customers over this, (Microsoft at least gives people a free upgrade of its Windows, but not sure I really like that lots of it's  current users are going to get left behind).

Microsoft does get input from the CPU Manufacturers but Microsoft, at the end, is the one that decides which CPUs will be supported by Windows 11.

Microsoft has determined, by AMD's input, that only 2nd Generation AMD Processors will be supported. Same with Intel and their Processors.

You can probably get some inexpensive 2nd Generation AMD processors as long as your motherboard supports them.

Hi,

thanks for your input on these matters.

But i don't see why I will be forced to buy both a new CPU/APU and also maybe a motherboard, just because Microsoft want to make more money.

After all Microsoft did officially decleir that WINDOWS 10 would be the final version of windows.

0 Likes

No one is forcing you to upgrade to Windows 11. You can still use Windows 10 til around 2025 when Microsoft stops supporting that OS.

Who knows, In five years you will probably be forced to replace your Motherboard anyways. Motherboards don't last as long as processors.

Just because Microsoft "said" that Windows 10 was the last Windows version doesn't mean that due to technological advances in processors and motherboards that they decided to change their minds and come up with a new Windows 11 upgrade.

Microsoft doesn't have to compensate anyone because they said Windows 10 was going to be the last Windows upgrade.

I don't believe that Microsoft ever "officially" said that Windows 10 was going to be the last OS Upgrade. Seems like that type of information came mainly from other tech sites or other sources other than directly from Microsoft.

I might be wrong, but I personally never heard Microsoft officially mention that Windows 10 will be the last upgrade. That would have be short-sighted on Microsoft part since they know how the computer industry changes every year.

0 Likes

Hi,

I do believe that that it was an offical statement from microsoft that windows 10 would be the final version of windows. 

0 Likes

No, I don't believe so.
because they are in favor of the Premium 2000 series like
AMD Ryzen™ 3 2300X
                                           And
AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500X
AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600E
AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600X

I believe it is a software issue rather than a hardware issue.
It also looks to be intentional.

I made one error in one of my replies. Most of the 2nd Generation AMD Processors are ZEN+ processors. The first generation processors are considered to be ZEN only.

2nd generation APUs are generally ZEN also since they are one architecture behind.

0 Likes
ronnie1111
Adept I

Spoiler
hello i found way to down load window11 by join up on window insider program , it working good , i dont see why they havent added Ryzen 5 2400g to the list , because it work really good , haven't seen anything bad , save me about 300 not have to buy new processor ! glad i ran into it on line , hope others see this ! good luck,, window insider program ronnie1111_1-1637533792904.png

0 Likes

@ronnie1111 

Trouble is will your Official Windows 11 OS be supported with Windows Updates. Microsoft has stated that Non-Supported PCs with Windows 11 won't be supported by Microsoft with Windows Updates.

Many Users are able to install Windows 11 on Non-Supported PCs but that means their Windows 11 will eventually become unsafe and drivers may not be compatible since it doesn't have the latest Windows Updates installed.

going to hope they see it runs good then add it to the list , if not ill have to buy processor '  hope they do what is right. for ever one , 

0 Likes
WYLIE
Adept I

Hi,

I'm happy to see so many of you read and replied to my original message.

Just to add more insults to this problem of WINDOWS 11, didn't Microsoft say that WINDOWS 10 was going to be the last WINDOWS. So what is this WINDOWS 11 thing?, maybe everyone who upgraded or bought WINDOWS 10 should be compensated or get their money back.

Steve

ronnie1111
Adept I

I was told it on the way, not too much longer! 

0 Likes
Chester1994
Challenger

You can install Win 11 on any system without supported CPU or TPM if you search for it, however, I would not suggest you using Windows 11 in its current state. Wait a few years. It´s kinda buggy on certain games.

0 Likes
Sycam0re
Journeyman III

Dude I installed win 11 on ryzen 5 2400g 2 times ... once I updated other time clean installed... dunno how or why but it works gr8 and games that do need better procesros according to system requirements still work on ultra... just .. sou... OUK Ryzen 5 with Vega 11

0 Likes