cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

kwstaras24
Adept I

ryzen 3 3200u

i have a laptop hp with ryzen 3 3200u cpu.this cpu amd said that support ram only in 2400mhz but the cpu-z said that has hynix 8gb in 2666mhz but the task manager said that the speed is 2400mhz.so what happened here?and i want to upgrade to 12gb ram what speed i must get 2400 or 2666. the preinstalled ram is 2666 but run in 2400mhz.what speed i must buy.thanks

0 Likes
2 Solutions

If you laptop supports a maximum RAM Speed of 2400Mhz and you install a RAM of greater speed Mhz (2666Mhz) the only thing that will happen is the RAM will run at 2400Mhz maximum and not 2666Mhz.

So no it won't damage your laptop as long as the 2666Mhz RAM you choose is compatible and supported by your laptop. It will just run at 2400Mhz instead of 2666Mhz.

Have you by any chance checked your Laptop's BIOS Settings to see if you can Overclock the RAM to the 2666Mhz speed?

If there is no BIOS setting then you can't overclock the RAM in your laptop.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

probably wouldn't boot up.

Listen If your brand new laptop came with 2666Mhz RAM preinstalled, then order the exact same RAM that came preinstalled. 

Are you afraid to open a HP Support ticket?

Because they can answer all your questions and doubts since they are the ones that manufactured your laptop.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies

Would be helpful to know the exact Make & Model of your laptop.

Generally, If one RAM module is at 2400Mhz in the laptop then no matter what RAM speed you install greater than 2400Mhz it will always run at the slowest RAM installed.

Screenshot 2021-02-21 152854.png

You need to find out if you can replace all the RAM in your laptop to match the same speed.

Here is HP Support on how to upgrade the RAM in a HP Laptop: https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c00820047

I do recall helping another User a long time ago where his laptop had 2 RAM modules installed. One was replaceable and upgrade-able while the other wasn't. 

The permanent RAM installed was 2400Mhz so the laptop will always run at 2400Mhz even though the second RAM was 2666Mhz.

0 Likes

i have the hp 15-db1021nv. in hp sait the hp said that has ram 2400mhz but the preinstalled ram is 2666 and run at 2400mhz.i must buy 2400mhz or or 2666 mhz to be 12gm ram?thanks.

0 Likes

From HP Support concerning your Laptop Model. Here are the two types of RAM and their HP Part numbers to use in your Laptop. Both are 2400Mhz speed:

Go here and input your Laptop's Serial Number to find out all the parts that are compatible with your laptop including RAM memory upgrades: https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx

You can find out the same information by downloading the same PDF file from HP Support from here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-db1000-laptop-pc/26210240/model/29448923/manuals

Is this a used Laptop or did you purchase it brand new?

If used than it is possible the original owner upgraded the RAM to 2666Mhz but it seems like the Laptop's Motherboard only supports RAM Speed of 2400Mhz maximum.

Which will explain why your 2666Mhz RAM is running at 2400Mhz speed due to the Motherboard's limitations on RAM Speed.

Which also explains why all the RAM to install from HP Parts are all 2400Mhz speed. You can add the maximum amount of RAM your laptop will support but it will all run at 2400Mhz.

I suggest you open a HP Support ticket and ask them if your laptop supports RAM speeds greater than 2400Mhz.

0 Likes

i buy it brand new

0 Likes

Okay then, Open a HP Support ticket and ask them if your specific Laptop model supports RAM Speeds greater than 2400Mhz.

0 Likes

The task manager said speed is 2400mhz and the original ram speed for this ram model is 2666mhz so it is not supported this speed and run in 2400mhz that is supported.the same said cmd 2400mhz.this can causw a problen to my laptop?and i ask you again what ram can i buy for upgrade 2400mhz or 2666mhz or it does not matter the speed.thanks.because the preinstalled is 2666mhz.

0 Likes

I can't answer your question. But RAM at 2666Mhz will be more expensive than 2400Mhz if that is a factor but depending on the type of RAM you purchase, RAM can make your laptop faster even at 2400Mhz using 2666Mhz RAM.

Please read this article about RAM Memory it will help decide which RAM to use (https://www.wepc.com/tips/ram-speed/) otherwise the best person to ask is HP Support.

Or ask at HP Forums where other Users might have upgraded the RAM on the same laptop.

You are trying to get me to make your decision on your laptop which I am not very familiar with.

Either read the Article I linked or open a HP Support ticket and ask them directly or post your question at HP Forums.

Otherwise see if another User here at AMD Forum can make the decision for you.

Take care.

0 Likes

Last question the ram speed,speed does not cause a problem on the laptop if it does not supported?the laptop run in the speed tha is supported.and the speed 2666mhz can work in a laptop that support 2400mhz ram.but not in 2666mhz.

0 Likes

If you laptop supports a maximum RAM Speed of 2400Mhz and you install a RAM of greater speed Mhz (2666Mhz) the only thing that will happen is the RAM will run at 2400Mhz maximum and not 2666Mhz.

So no it won't damage your laptop as long as the 2666Mhz RAM you choose is compatible and supported by your laptop. It will just run at 2400Mhz instead of 2666Mhz.

Have you by any chance checked your Laptop's BIOS Settings to see if you can Overclock the RAM to the 2666Mhz speed?

If there is no BIOS setting then you can't overclock the RAM in your laptop.

0 Likes

No i cant overclock.

0 Likes

What could happen if ram is not compatible? System does not boot att all?or system crashing?

0 Likes

probably wouldn't boot up.

Listen If your brand new laptop came with 2666Mhz RAM preinstalled, then order the exact same RAM that came preinstalled. 

Are you afraid to open a HP Support ticket?

Because they can answer all your questions and doubts since they are the ones that manufactured your laptop.

0 Likes

I can't find hynix (the same model)in Greece i buy crucial more 4gb ram tottal 12gb.in hp forum said that crucial is combatible for HP laptops.thanks again and sorry for so many questions

Have a good day.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_3/3200u here says that supports ram 2666mhz is true?you must know about your processor.

0 Likes

It is the Motherboard of the laptop that determines what speed it supports not the processor.

0 Likes

what the site says is true,just tell me that.

0 Likes

Look, you can purchase whatever RAM you want.

I already gave you all the information you need to decide. 

So if you want to purchase Laptop RAM that runs at 2666Mhz go ahead. 

You are trying very hard to rationalize buying 2666Mhz RAM so why bother, just go ahead and do want you really want to do.

I won't be replying any more to this thread because you are not reading or understanding the information I am giving you.

Take care and Good Luck!

0 Likes

ok thanks

0 Likes