cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

RX 6800 series launches...

... And honestly I'm not impressed. Sure they keep up and even beat nVidia, but what's the point if the 3070 is beaten by the 6800 if the 3070 costs $500 and the 6800 $580? Techspot doesn't have the 6800 on their chart yet, but other reviews show it is slightly better than the 3070, but significantly more expensive. Plus heck, if you're already paying $650 for a 6800XT, what's the incentive for the >75% of the userbase which is nVidia to switch to AMD, especially when you figure lower ray tracing performance, no DLSS or other nVidia exclusive feature support, and, especially, the driver track record?

Looks like another year or two where AMD's and nVidia's bank books win, and we all lose...

image.png

10 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

point if the 3070 is beaten by the 6800 if the 3070 costs $500 and the 6800 $580?

16 GB of VRAM.  The RTX 3070 actually starts to get hit pretty hard in Watch Dog Legions with Ray-tracing on due to the lower VRAM as shown in the PCWorld review. 

If high refresh rate 1080p gaming is your thing, the AMD cards are the way to go.  Also at 1440p, the 6800XT wins out over the RTX 3080.

If 4K Ray-traced gaming is your thing, NVidia is the way to go.  However, the RTX 3080, RTX 3070 start to run into VRAM problems in one newer title already, so it may be worth getting the RTX 3080 Ti if that's the way you want to go.

These RX6000 series GPUs were supposed to target 4K gaming and beat Nvidia at it.

0 Likes

Being just 5% below the RTX 3080 at stock in 4K sounds like a great card for 4K gaming.  Depends on the overclocking headroom as well, the RTX 3000 series didn't have much to give there.

0 Likes

Yeah, I think when overclocked the 6800 XT will beat the 3080 in most situations, except of course ray tracing.  But if the upscaling tech that AMD puts out can come close to DLSS 2.0, we will probably see good frame rates even with RT enabled.

Too bad nobody can buy these cards. 

0 Likes
srs13rastus
Adept III

My problem here in the UK aside from lack of stock is the pricing seen in retailers, e.g.

6800 @ £579US, UK price + VAT SHOULD be £525-530 yet it's £579.99.

6800XT @ $649US UK Price + VAT SHOULD be £588-595 yet it's £679.99.

The only countries I can buy direct from AMD are the US, France and Germany, everywhere else (all regions) it's not listed and not even recognized as a product!

Way to go AMD thanks for forgetting anyone lives outside US, France and Germany whilst allowing retailers to scalp customers for £55 -85 for your products. I'll wait till you either sort the availability direct to ALL regions, sort the UK price gouging or RDNA3 comes around.

After all my current GPU works just fine, why should I pay over the odds by 10-15% based on the exchange rate and local taxes? It's about damned time you STOPPED listing US MSRP only and listed other regions as well cause retailers are CONSTANTLY overcharging for your products!

Hi! Can you tell me in which shops does amd send you from France or Germany? I'm from Italy and i havent even got the Western Europe shops listed in the site... 

0 Likes

It was AMD.com store not the AMD.com/en version that listed the 6800 and 6800XT prices .

Strangely enough, I now cannot even access the AMD.com store as it defaults back to AMD.com/eu version.

Guess AMD no longer want my custom and favour allowing UK buyers to be ripped off by unscrupulous retailers instead!

0 Likes

Understood, thank you..

Lets hope for the best!

0 Likes

For me

@black_zion wrote:

... And honestly I'm not impressed. Sure they keep up and even beat nVidia, but what's the point if the 3070 is beaten by the 6800 if the 3070 costs $500 and the 6800 $580? Techspot doesn't have the 6800 on their chart yet, but other reviews show it is slightly better than the 3070, but significantly more expensive. Plus heck, if you're already paying $650 for a 6800XT, what's the incentive for the >75% of the userbase which is nVidia to switch to AMD, especially when you figure lower ray tracing performance, no DLSS or other nVidia exclusive feature support, and, especially, the driver track record?

Looks like another year or two where AMD's and nVidia's bank books win, and we all lose...

image.png

For me as a person who really does want ray tracing and dlss I get the point of why pay the extra for a 6800 for many users they may not need the few extra frames or that deficit is completely gone once you enable ray tracing. 

For me though it isn't just the extra cost of the card either. Compared to the 3070 a 6800 also may require an end user to buy a new power supply at 100-150 bucks. So it can be a pretty big jump in price overall. 

I however hate to that Nvidia also makes it a tough choice by not competing on the ram. Their choice of less ram most the time I think will really be a big deal in a year or two. Most of us not buying top of the line don't buy a new card more than once every 4-6 years and need for that card to last that time span. I have serious doubts that many current AMPERE cards will do that without lowering settings. I already went through this on my RTX 2060 which is powerful enough to run Doom Eternal at the highest settings at 1440p except you have to crank down the textures because of Nvidia's 6gb choice. 

0 Likes

"or me though it isn't just the extra cost of the card either. Compared to the 3070 a 6800 also may require an end user to buy a new power supply at 100-150 bucks."

PCAT.png

The 6800 only uses 19W more than the RTX 3700, so you likely wouldn't need a different power supply.  I think the biggest problem is, as we pointed out during the original Navi launch, is that the vendors don't seem like they are "competing".  AMD allows NVidia to dictate the price/performance tier, and then slots its own GPUs into that same curve based on their rasterization performance.  Not something AMD used to do (see HD 4870 and HD 5870 launches).  

In some ways, that is okay, as a customer can buy the best GPU they can afford from either company and get similar performance/$.  With some caveats of course.  AMD has an advantage at 1080p and even 1440p for the high frame rate e-sports crowd.  While the extra VRAM does seem like something that will become more of an issue for NVidia down the line.  NVidia has better Ray-tracing performance, and if a particular title supports DLSS, the difference becomes quite stark.  NVidia Ampere cards are also much stronger in pro apps this time around.  So while there are some differentiating factors, it seems for most users it won't matter which you buy.  And that's good, except it keeps those prices high.  So it is a bit of a disturbing trend.

0 Likes