cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

marufura
Adept I

RMA NIGHTMARE

I had random reboots with a Ryzen 9 5950 and after weeks of trying to find out what the problem is I finally realized that it's probably one of seemingly many broken AMD CPUs (just search for "Ryzen random reboot" to see HOW big of a problem this seems to be and how many people had to go through RMA).
I need my computer for work and can't afford just to buy a replacement. So I was in a hurry.
First AMD forgot to attach the DHL label. So I had to pay for shipping myself.
When tracking showed that it arrived I didn't receive any message from AMD. After a few days I contacted them and asked about the CPU. They told me that it had arrived and that it was being checked.
Then one week ago - after me asking again because they just don't care - they told me that the CPU would be replaced and shipped later that day. And that I should contact them again in two days for tracking information.
So I wrote again on Tuesday and asked for the tracking number. I got a reply that told me not to be a pain in the ass and to contact them "after two days".
So I asked when to start counting because in my books Tuesday IS two working days after Friday.
And if all this so far wasn't horror enough they now replied that they can't see any package with the DHL tracking number and that I never sent my CPU. So I provided my tracking information and since then.... SILENCE.
This is a flipping nightmare!!!!
I have been without a computer for about 3 weeks now. Still nothing. I am losing tons of time and money because of this. I can't afford just buying another processor. And actually this means buying a new motherboard as well because I will not give AMD my money again after they lost my over 1.000 euro CPU and then ignored me.
What a very very ugly nightmare!!!!!!

1 Solution

Mr. Ombudsman REALLY made a difference!

The replacement CPU was shipped at light speed. Actually shipping it from Amsterdam all the way to my home in Austria took less time than for AMD support to answer a simple email question. 

A little fun fact.... well, fun for you, another PITA for me.... when I first booted with the new CPU installed the screen stayed black and the ASUS mainboard showed Q-code 02. It took me half a day to find out that the reason was that I had two display ports connected (which was the case all the time with the old CPU). Turns out that I had to boot with only one display port cable connected, enter BIOS, there connect the second display port, save and reboot. After that I was able to boot with both display ports connected.

Thanks again to the people here who supported me!

View solution in original post

21 Replies
marufura
Adept I

Update, April 7, about 5 days after I wrote the initial statement....

Even though I can prove that the CPU was delivered to AMD (I have a document that includes the signature of the person that accepted the parcel), they still keep telling me that I must send the CPU before they are willing to do anything.

Yesterday I contacted the Austrian internet fraud ombudsman service and asked for help. We are now waiting for a statement by AMD.

I really hope this can be resolved quickly but this looks like it will become even uglier.

What a terrible company!!!!

Yeah, that's a sad situation... (

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply!

Apart from going the ugly route through lawyers and such my only hope is that the ombudsman service can help me OR that posting here will get me the attention of someone at AMD who cares.

I mean... is this really the kind of company they want to be?

Buddy, I hope that you will resolve the issue very soon! And yes, let's see if AMD representatives will pay attention here

Thanks, man!

Replies are important. Maybe they can help get some attention. So really thanks!

If it's possible for you to prove you are loosing money, you are free to pass them a lawsuit. Also, it took too long to them to fix the issue. My friend won with Fiat after car broke moths after buying from dealership. He got quite a lot of money for that. Stay strong and find some lawyer or here in poland there is Consumer Ombudsman's Office and they are helping with such things for free as it's government initiative. I'm 100% sure you will receive back cpu and lost money as long as you can prove them (which is not that hard - hey, last 3 months I have earned that much and now i lost not only money but also customers and potential big contract). I have a little pain in the butt as well with my new rig. 

Thanks for your message!

I did contact Consumer Ombudsman and they asked AMD for a statement yesterday afternoon. And suddenly this morning I received two messages from AMD stating that they received my CPU and that they checked it and will exchange it and that I will receive the tracking information soon. I hope this is not another "fake news" thing like two weeks ago. But I really think that Mr. Ombudsman helped.

I'll keep you updated!

What's your "little pain in the butt", BrainsCollector? Any way we can help?

DHL.
Don't Havit Lostit.

0 Likes

Do I understand this right? DHL lost the parcel with your CPU? This is even worse than my case. What is the current situation? Any reaction by DHL? Oh my! I wish you all the best!

I ordered PC parts from an online shop last year. They were sent by DHL... and when I didn't receive them after about two to three weeks I contacted the seller who sent a new package. We all thought that they first parcel was lost. But after three months or so it was suddenly delivered at my place. Delivery services these days are terrible and DHL is among the worst of the bad. I had good experiences with FedEx though.

Well, I really hope there will be a quick solution for your case!

marufura
Adept I

An update about a week after I wrote that first report....

After the Ombudsman Service contacted AMD they all of a sudden seemed to be able to find the parcel with my CPU. They even magically were able to check the CPU at the very same moment and inform me that the replacement CPU is now ready to be shipped.

I have no tracking number or anything that proves these things though. Contacted them to ask for it but have no answer yet.

I'll post updates here when they are available.

Thanks again to the people who replied to my post! A little understanding and sympathy can really really help to soften the blow. Also thank you for being nice and reasonable people. I posted the same report on Reddit and the replies there were... well, let's say not half as reasonable as yours! ;-))

Thank you!

Things have started to move, that's good! Further good luck to you! We support you morally!

Mr. Ombudsman REALLY made a difference!

The replacement CPU was shipped at light speed. Actually shipping it from Amsterdam all the way to my home in Austria took less time than for AMD support to answer a simple email question. 

A little fun fact.... well, fun for you, another PITA for me.... when I first booted with the new CPU installed the screen stayed black and the ASUS mainboard showed Q-code 02. It took me half a day to find out that the reason was that I had two display ports connected (which was the case all the time with the old CPU). Turns out that I had to boot with only one display port cable connected, enter BIOS, there connect the second display port, save and reboot. After that I was able to boot with both display ports connected.

Thanks again to the people here who supported me!

Congratulations @marufura ! I'm happy for you!

0 Likes

Just as I though. Congratulations on winning this one with this kind of solution. It's really unfair that normal customer have to walk through such a mess to just prove company that they are wrong and to prove their lack of any professional approach, also not giving a f* about users but focusing on marketing. 

I have solved my problem as well, as mentioned, I had some problem with cpu microcode... turned out, raiser cable was causing it, and in the moment cpu was connecting with pci line it was loading pci 4 instead 3 and it was displayed as cpu problem, not gpu. After forcing it to always work in gen3 instead auto, problems vanished. 

0 Likes

Thanks to you guys!

And great to hear that your problem is solved too, BrainsCollector!

Now we can have a relaxed weekend ;-))

PS: I absolutely agree that it's a shame how little companies (and politicians, too btw) care about people. But I also think that we will soon see a counter movement where lots of smaller stores will pop up whose main attention will be customer service. I really think this is one of the things people REALLY miss and therefore this will be a successful business model.

0 Likes

good to hear you resolved it st the dnd .. mine cpu is already lying there in netherland for a 3 weeks and nothing happens, amd barely replies and just got a reply thst i should not sorry after many mails sent by me .. btw DHL delivered the cpu in 2 days from czech to netherland, really nice, but amd there is just apparently sitting , watching the unpacked box maybe and doing nothing :-(, such a shaˇe .. sorry amd but last time a bought your product

0 Likes

May i know how long it aľl took please from send the cpu until you got replacement? Also what mails you used to communicate with them? first Tech.support@amd.com then SIR - rma.amd@sircompany.com.br ?? Thanks a lot

0 Likes

Skocza, sorry to hear that you're treated like this! It really seems like AMD hates their customers.

When I contacted Ombudsman about three weeks had passed from when I sent the CPU. And in those three weeks no real development had happened. They obviously lost my CPU so they didn't contact me at all. Only when I contacted them they communicated with me. At first they said that they had received my CPU and that it would be replaced. When I contacted them again they all of a sudden said that there was no CPU and that they wouldn't do anything unless I send me CPU. It was a terrible mess. I was seriously afraid I would never see my CPU again. That's why after three weeks I asked Ombudsman for help. As soon as Ombudsman wrote AMD things suddenly happened super fast.

During that process I was in contact with TECH.SUPPORT@amd.com. And after Ombudsman had taken over I used the form on the AMD website to ask for the tracking number. The answer to that came from customercare@amdsupport.tech.

The communication with the people at TECH.SUPPORT was super slow and not very friendly from their side. The communication with customer.care (AFTER Ombudsman had contacted them) was much faster and a bit friendlier.

Still the whole process was a terrible experience. 

Unfortunately there isn't really much we can do to help each other. But should anyone start a petition or anything else that needs lots of other people, I am always willing to help.

I hope your case will be solved very soon, skocza! I know how you're feeling...

0 Likes

Thank you very much marufura for your reply, really appreaciate ,,at least someone is replying right ... today I got reply from SIR after I did what I didnt want to do and said them that I will escalate it further for some attorney here in my country to solve this as 3 weeks of not touching and not knowing even if cpu was delivered or not into the right place is horrible, so they replied pretty quickly, but that reply looks weird anyway - something like SIR is charging my RMA to AMD and without it they cant get the collection - so i am now starting to be even more confused .. anyway, thanks for support man at least from you here an denjoy your replaced cpu, you deserve it ... 

Thanks again for the entire description what happened to you again and also for those contacts you gathered during that rma nightmare ... :-(, that had to be rally a nightmare.

After this all my experience and see yours, I doubt I will buy amd again as this is unacceptable

0 Likes

I agree. This is absolutely unacceptable!

Unfortunately the only thing those huge companies really care about is money. Not buying their products is the only language they understand. And that is one of the reasons why I posted here. To make people see how AMD will treat them. I am not really active on social media so I can't go that route. But I really think that'd be the only thing they would really understand... if one of our stories went viral on social media. If anybody has the power to do so - or knows somebody who is big on social media - I think that could possibly change something.

Until then we at least have each other. To cry on each other's shoulders... ;-))

skocza, best of luck once again to you! Keep us updated and let us know if there is anything we can do.

0 Likes

Yup indeed that social media coukd be a way to go, tbh i also didnt happen to go there and try it there , i could .. maybe will try if this standard approach wont help :-).

indeed at have each other to cry on shoulders, help a bit man ;-).

Many thanks marufura once again for all your advise and definitelly will keep you all posted about this all! Hopefully with good end soon

0 Likes