cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Cyberfyber
Adept II

Ram Compatibility for Ryzen 3000 and above

Hi, question about ram compatibility with the Ryzen 3000 and above.

Is the compatibility chart provided by AMD to be taken at face value? Or should one allow for possible oversight?

Why do I ask?

For one particular brand, (such as the G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series) Neither the 128 GB quad channel set nor the individual 32GB sticks appear within their list.

Yet the smaller versions (16GB) do.

Not that I’m specifically looking to purchase that one brand. I just haven’t been able to look across the board and see how this applies to all the others. Although, the Kingston FURY Beast 128 GB set do make the list.

Thanks in advance.

-------------

Just in case anyone's interested. Here's the method to my madness:

I'm trying to determine if the problems I have with my recently purchased ram (which I'm returning today) has to do with its own failure or due to incompatibility with my AMD Ryzen 3600.

And actually, the G.Skill brand mentioned above is the one I purchased.

This way I move forward with my next steps more equipped with knowledge.

0 Likes
20 Replies

You need to look at your Motherboard's QVL List for your specific type processor.

That list will tell you which RAM manufacturer Part numbers are compatible in how many DIMM Slots on your Motherboard, Highest speeds, If you can overclock it, etc.

The QVL List is where the Manufacturer actually tested the RAM module for compatibility.

The RAM Manufacturer also has a RAM or Memory app to tell which RAM is compatible with your motherboard and processor.

The QVL List differs from one Motherboard to another.

NOTE: The Ryzen 3000 series processor best performance or Sweet Spot is RAM running at 3600Mhz.

Thank you for your assistance. 

I see it. Doesn't specifically detail which CPU but considering that I'm likely upgrading to the 5950x then if it's there then it should work (presumably).

And yes, the ram I purchased is 3600 speed. 

Looking at their chart I see the CL16 version of the ram mentioned above. Had no idea that even existed. 
My purchased one is CL18. I'm guessing if one's there then the other's okay? I've venture to guess the answer is yes. 

0 Likes

Which Make & Model Motherboard are you planning on using?

Generally the QVL list goes either by architecture like vermeer or Picasso or pinnacle etc or by RX2x00 or RX3x00 etc.

So if you are planning on using the 5000 series processor look under the QVL List for Vermeer or RX5x00 or something similar.

You can never tell if a RAM will be compatible if it is slightly different from the QVL list.  For instance some RAM Memory might be compatible only on 2 DIMM slots while others will be compatible on 4 DIMM Slots etc.

But you will find out once you install the RAM and use XMP to run it at its native speed instead of of SPD speed on the Motherboard.

If the Part Numbers are almost identical except one is for a set of 2 and the other is for a set of 4 it should be compatible and work as an example only.

NOTE: I have an Asus X570 Motherboard using a Ryzen 7 3700x processor and I purchased 2x16GB G-Skill Trident Z NEO RGB RAM Modules at 3600Mhz. and so far no issues with that memory. 

It was listed both at G-Skill and Asus QVL List.

The motherboard is: MSI B550 Tomahawk.

----

Had to correct what I was about to write here.

Re-reading your post I see you referred to the processor models the same way their page does.

Memory by RX-3X00Memory by RX-4X00G/GEMemory By RX-5xxxMemory by RX-5X00G/GE

Okay then. Will check again under the RX-5X** options (both of them).

The ram I purchased (mentioned above) has only given me endless headaches. Spent hours researching and trying almost everything under the sun. I can only fathom they're faulty ram if they appear on the list (which I'll check again) with the exception of Latency number difference.

Generally G-Skill Trident-Z RAM is compatible with Ryzen Processors and motherboard.

What is the exact G-Skill RAM Part number you have installed?

0 Likes

The model #F4-3600C18Q-128GTZR

Just returned from dropping it off for a return at the Amazon Box. 

Amazon being the one with very lax return policies. Not sure if that's got to do with the ram possibly being faulty.

0 Likes

Make sure and check the website of the ram for their QVL list.

AMD and motherboard providers dont test that many combo's, but ram sellers do because its how they get you to buy the ram.

My G Skill isnt on my cpu/motherboard QVL list, but my motherboard and cpu are on my ram QVL list and it works great.

----------------------
June 2022 Rig of the Month -AMD Ryzen 5900X, Asus Tuf Gaming 6900XT

Thanks for that!

Easily found the page and looking through all the options. That's great to see.

Apparently Amazon and NewEgg are the only ones out there for what I just searched out with, of course, Amazon having the relative discount prices.

Have trusted Amazon for so long and so I may have another go at it with the ram from them. Will create a list of each one with links and all. 

Guessing your setup's geared more for gaming? 

3d / graphics production work here. Already got my 5950x sitting here. Just need the cooler which I'm afraid to deal with. And wanted to get the ram out of the way so that it's literally 'out of the way'. lol

0 Likes

@Cyberfyber 

The only G-Skill RAM Memory that I saw on the MSI Support for the 5000 series processor that supports 128GB is this one:

Screenshot 2022-05-23 160150.png

All the rest of G-Skill 3600Mhz RAM supported either 64 GB or less.

It seems like your MSI Motherboard doesn't support that many RAM modules for 128GB.

NOTE: Amazon is very good about returns no hassles. But if you make too many returns Amazon can and  will disable your account.  I don't know how many returns or how much money in the returns limits are before they disable your account though.

0 Likes

IC, So is that how I'm supposed to read it?

Meaning, only the ones that show up as 128?

I guess the same goes for the RAM QVL list as well, aye?

There, I don't think I saw anything for 128. Only 64.

0 Likes

Just saw your added note about Amazon.

Yeah, I'm not worried about myself. We're big customers.

I mentioned it as a reference to the ram I got. Meaning, if they were faulty (which maybe now they're not since we see the limitations on what my mobo can handle) then the easy returns might've explained it.

Someone futzing around badly with a product then returning it and it getting passed on to someone like myself. 

Yes the G-Skill I showed says the RAM Module capacity is 32 GB and it is compatible on all 4 DIMM Slots which means that specific RAM will support 4 RAM module Capacity of 32 GBs each on 4 DIMM Slots for a total of 128 GBs.

Now these are just the RAM the MSI actually tested so if yours is not listed doesn't mean it isn't compatible it just means either MSI found them to be incompatible or just wasn't tested by them for compatibility.

0 Likes

If you really need to have so much RAM memory the AMD ThreadRippers has motherboards that support 128 or more easily plus you can use EEC RAM.

But they are more expensive than regular Ryzen processors and AM4 Motherboards

EDIT: One way to see if the G-SKILL RAM you have is not totally compatible with 128GBs try using 64 GBs (2x32GB Modules) and see if it fixes your problem or improves your performance.

0 Likes

Well yeah, that was my thinking.

To go the 2x32GB route and have two of them.

Could be a matter of oversight on their part in as far as their listings go.

But I'll look through all that's listed, try to cross check with the other lists to see if I discover something odd or new.

And I'll likely take the plunge anyhow very soon with something. RGB would be nice but entirely necessary.

Might go with a Kingston set.  Let's see. 

Listen, thank you for all your help today. I appreciate it.

Might come back to report on my findings after I've purchased something. 

'be well. 

0 Likes

Yes please post back what RAM you are using that works with 128 GB of RAM in your Motherboard.

Take care.

Just thought to pass by and mention something. For your own knowledge since you appear to be someone who's sincerely interested in keeping tabs on this sort of thing. 

Hadn't occurred to me until this very moment to check if my present ram even shows up on that dang MSI QVL list.

My ram, Crucial Ballistix 3200 32gb sticks do not.

BL2K32G32C16U4BL isn't there. Even tried variants of that model number just in case a slightly different version appeared. Nope!

Also checked to see if the Ballistix shows up at all and they do. Which counts out the possibility that they've updated the list to reflect how the company's stopped production of those sticks.

As I might've mentioned, these sticks run perfectly on my machine. 

Also doesn't show up on the AMD list.

0 Likes

It is worth mentioning that RAM that uses 2 gb memory chips are exceedingly rare, so I doubt they will have been tested in many motherboard/CPU configurations.

1gb chips are far more common, which limits you to 8GB per single rank DIMM, or 16GB per Dual rank.   Many users who need 128gb of RAM go with Threadripper as it allows for 4 channels, or 8x16gb DIMMs which have far more options than 4x32GB.  With Ryzen, you are limited to 2 channels, so 4X32GB is the only way to get to 128 GB.

Having said all that, most DDR4 RAM will work with Ryzen at the default 2133 MHz CL15 profile.  The QVL list, only tells you if the RAM was tested at the XMP profile speed.  So if a kit is 3200 CL18 and it is on the list, that means it works at 3200 CL18 with that hardware.  If it isn't on the list, it will likely still work, but possibly not at the rated speeds.  So if you are dead set on 4X32GB, I would order whatever you can find and insert them after resetting the motherboard to defaults.  If your system boots with the RAM at 2133 CL15, then the RAM "works"  From there you can try the XMP profile.  If that fails you'll probably have to loosen timings and/or reduce the RAM frequencies a bit until it passes.

As far as the 2X32GB test is concerned that isn't apples to apples.  With only a single DIMM per channel, the memory controller has to interpolate data between the two 16 GB "ranks" on each DIMM and then interpolate the two channels. 

With 4X32GB, the memory controller has to again, interpolate the data between the two ranks on each DIMM, then additional interpolate the two DIMMs on each channel, and the the channels themselves.  Meaning 4x32GB is harder on the memory controller than 2x32GB.  So it is possible the RAM that works at a given speed in 2X32GB will not work at the same speed in a 4X32 configuration.

Every day I learn something new. Thanks for that. 

Originally, I was concerned with being able to replace (upgrade) my ram without too much hassle down the line. IF I'd already had the full 128gb then I wouldn't be so concerned with any of this. BUT, since Crucial decided to stop production of the Ballistix sticks then I was stuck.

Water cooling turned me off in the end and Air cooling seemed so overbearing with the literal size of them. 
But now I've come to see how there are more convenient options such as the 'Noctua u12a' and the 'u12s' . 

'and so, I've decided I will go down that route and not worry about the ram for now. Knowing that the "supposed fear" of upgrading them later this year, or next, won't drive me insane. 

Thank again to you folks for all the help and insight. 

Hello out there.

Just wanted to post an update for anyone interested and for those who, in the future, might be stumbling upon the same sorts of concerns.

Soooo, I installed the Ryzen 5950x without a hitch. Went much smoother than I imagined. I realize that IF I had to do it again that the process would go much faster having already done it once.

Now, as for the RAM.

I went ahead and got the following kit:

2 sets of:
G.Skill Ripjaws V 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL18 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3600C18D-64GVK

It worked ONLY After disconnecting the power to my PC.
Pressing the power button for over 60 secs and then retrying.
Worked!

Before that, it was nothing but headaches and I was prepared to return them. The computer refused to give me any video and the red light (for the ram? or the GPU?) wouldn't turn off. 

It's now approach a week since the installation and they've worked with no problems.

I'm happy to finally put this to an end.