cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Joris
Adept I

RAM compatibility 2700x

So I thought I'd upgrade my RAM going from 4x4gb 2400MHz to 4x8gb 2666MHz.

When I first installed the 4x8gb it didn't even showed me the boot menu, so I tied installing 1 4gb and one 8gb. That worked, although the computer had to set the speed to 2133 to boot, if I change the speed the fans start speeding than slow down for a bit speed again slow donw for a bit and speed again until I can open the boot menu and see that the speed was set back to 2133.

I've tried booting it with 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the new sticks but every time the same thing happened. But when I try to boot it with 1, 2 or 3 new sticks and one old it works, somehow I have to have installed that old one for it to work. 

So If anyone can help me I'd love that because I can't make anything logical of it.

This is my setup:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU: AMD RX 570

MTB: Asrock AB350 Pro4

Storage: One SSD with windows on it, 2 HDD with games and a new M.2 SSD completly empty.

Old RAM F4-2400C15S-4GIS

New RAM HX426C13PB3K4/32

0 Likes
2 Solutions

According to ASRock Motherboard Pinnacle RAM MEMORY QVL List, your RAM is only compatible on 2 DIMM Slots not 4 DIMM Slots.

So the most your Motherboard will show with your RAM is 16 GB of Memory.  Plus it isn't compatible in Overclocking the RAM.

Screenshot 2020-12-13 122158.png

Screenshot 2020-12-13 122453.png

Here is the full QVL List for Hyper-X RAM Memory. I have highlighted all the RAM Part numbers that are compatible with 4 DIMM Slots. None are compatible with Overclocking.

View solution in original post

I am just going by ASRock's RAM QVL List for Pinnacle processors for your motherboard.

It says that for the RAM Part number (Hyper-X) you posted it is compatible on only 2 DIMM Slots and not 4 DIMM slots. Also it is not compatible in being Overclocked.

I suggest you open a ASRock Support ticket and asked them directly if your RAM can be used on all 4 DIMM Slots.

All the problems you are having is probably due to not being compatible on 4 DIMM slots. See if it boots up on 2 DIMM Slots A2 and B2.

EDIT: Checked ASRock RAM Pinnacle & Raven Ridge QVL List for G-Skill and your G-Skill RAM is not even listed nor at G-SKILL RAM MEMORY FINDER under QVL your Motherboard is not listed as being compatible.

So basically you got lucky that G-Skill RAM you purchased worked on your Motherboard.

Here is G-Skill with your RAM and the ASRock Listed motherboards that it is compatible with: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/185/1535967340/F4-2400C15S-4GISAegis-DDR4DDR4-2400MHz-CL15-15-15-...)

Screenshot 2020-12-13 151250.png

At G-SKILL RAM QVL it is showing that your RAM is compatible only with AMD B550 Motherboards according to G-Skill.

Also you purchase 4 - separate sticks of 4 GB RAM Modules instead of a Kit of 16 GB with 4 RAM Sticks.

Why your G-Skill RAM worked I have no idea since it isn't listed in the Motherboard's RAM QVL List nor at G-Skill QVL List.

The G-SKILL RAM that is compatible with your Motherboard according to G-SKILL RAM CONFIGURATOR is F4-2400C17S-4GIS which is very close to the G-Skill RAM you have which might explain why it worked on your motherboard.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

According to ASRock Motherboard Pinnacle RAM MEMORY QVL List, your RAM is only compatible on 2 DIMM Slots not 4 DIMM Slots.

So the most your Motherboard will show with your RAM is 16 GB of Memory.  Plus it isn't compatible in Overclocking the RAM.

Screenshot 2020-12-13 122158.png

Here is the full QVL List for Hyper-X RAM Memory. I have highlighted all the RAM Part numbers that are compatible with 4 DIMM Slots. None are compatible with Overclocking.

But why did it work with 4 4gb modules I used?

And this doesn't explain why it won't boot with the new modules. 

0 Likes

I am just going by ASRock's RAM QVL List for Pinnacle processors for your motherboard.

It says that for the RAM Part number (Hyper-X) you posted it is compatible on only 2 DIMM Slots and not 4 DIMM slots. Also it is not compatible in being Overclocked.

I suggest you open a ASRock Support ticket and asked them directly if your RAM can be used on all 4 DIMM Slots.

All the problems you are having is probably due to not being compatible on 4 DIMM slots. See if it boots up on 2 DIMM Slots A2 and B2.

EDIT: Checked ASRock RAM Pinnacle & Raven Ridge QVL List for G-Skill and your G-Skill RAM is not even listed nor at G-SKILL RAM MEMORY FINDER under QVL your Motherboard is not listed as being compatible.

So basically you got lucky that G-Skill RAM you purchased worked on your Motherboard.

Here is G-Skill with your RAM and the ASRock Listed motherboards that it is compatible with: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/185/1535967340/F4-2400C15S-4GISAegis-DDR4DDR4-2400MHz-CL15-15-15-...)

Screenshot 2020-12-13 151250.png

At G-SKILL RAM QVL it is showing that your RAM is compatible only with AMD B550 Motherboards according to G-Skill.

Also you purchase 4 - separate sticks of 4 GB RAM Modules instead of a Kit of 16 GB with 4 RAM Sticks.

Why your G-Skill RAM worked I have no idea since it isn't listed in the Motherboard's RAM QVL List nor at G-Skill QVL List.

The G-SKILL RAM that is compatible with your Motherboard according to G-SKILL RAM CONFIGURATOR is F4-2400C17S-4GIS which is very close to the G-Skill RAM you have which might explain why it worked on your motherboard.

allright Thanks, I'll look for some new ram which complies with both the MOBO and the CPU.

I thought I knew quite a bit about building a PC but this opens up a whole new dimension of problems/possibilities.

Thanks again.

Hopefully you will be able to return or exchange the RAM you purchased.

But if you going to install more than one RAM Stick make sure you purchase a RAM Kit. The RAM kit has been tested to be 100% compatible with each stick of RAM in the kit by the manufacturer.

Good luck.

I'm not going to return the RAM, I've orderd a new motherboard which is compatible with my new ram because apperantly this motherboard has a lot of problems with RAM.

The new RAM was from a kit.