cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

sadowkin
Adept I

Radeon Rx 550 4gig safe tempature

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure this out as i have done some looking into and what i found i find a bit hard to belive. For a sapphire pulse radeon rx 550 4gig card. What is the safe operating tempature it can reach.  I mainly ask cuase at idle just watching youtube, twitch or movies my temp is around 45c, when i play a game like nioh 2 for instance my gpu temp can reach 60-62c. i just worry that that is kinda high as when it comes to things like this im not 100% 

10 Replies

This website gives Maximum Operating Temperatures for CPUs and GPUs. Here is for the RX550:

Screenshot 2021-02-13 113158.png

0 Likes

that is what i saw but a max operating temp of 80c on a video card, i just wanted to make sure i was not mis-reading it

0 Likes

Your temperatures are fine and below the approximate Maximum Operating Temperature of the RX550.

When the temperatures reaches or surpasses 80c the GPU card will start to automatically throttle (lower speed) to keep the temperatures at 80c or below.

The RX550 is basically a low wattage GPU card compared to today's latest GPU cards.

As an example, the RX5700 GPU Card Maximum Operating Temperature is 110C and is a much higher Wattage GPU card then the RX550.

In the future, if the GPU card starts to crash frequently, especially under heavy loads or stresses, or you see artifacts occurring or computer shutting down then check for either the GPU or CPU overheating first before checking anything else.

0 Likes

i will, so for reaching temps of around 62c while playing/streaming a game im ok i take it

0 Likes

Should be. It is below 80C.

Also Remember that playing games put a lot of stress on the GPU card so it will run hotter than just browsing on the internet.

Beside your room temperature has a lot to do with the temperatures inside your computer case including the GPU and CPU. Plus how good the air circulation is inside your Computer case determines how hot your hardware will run.

You can always test your GPU card using OCCT GPU Test and see how hot it will actually get under stress conditions.

On OCCT Settings set the maximum Temperature at 81C so that the GPU Test will stop automatically when it reaches 81C on the GPU Card.

Or use Furmark or some other GPU stress test software to test your GPU Card.

EDIT: If you notice the GPU temps going above 80C regularly and your have good air flow and room temperature then it is possible the GPU's Thermal Paste may need to be replaced with a fresh batch. You can see instructions on how to do that on YouTube.

0 Likes

OCCT? is that a program i could download

0 Likes

Yes it is free and you don't need to install it on your computer. It is a stand alone diagnostic program.

you can download it from here: https://www.ocbase.com/

I personally like this program because it is the only diagnostic software that also checks your PSU.  Plus it is a little bit safer to use.

Other stress programs are better in some respects since they put a very heavy stress of the hardware and it will show whether your computer or hardware it is testing is stable or not.

0 Likes

i just worry doing something like that can harm my pc, 

0 Likes

both GPU and especially the CPU have built in protections that would prevent the hardware from being damaged.

It first would try to throttle the hardware by decreasing the speeds.  If that doesn't help and temperature continues to rise it will shut down the computer or GPU to prevent damage.

But it is important to keep an eye on both the GPU and CPU temperatures to quickly resolve any heating issues that might occur over time.

Now your CPU or GPU or other hardware can be damaged by you mishandling or working carelessly inside the computer case or, as an example, the PSU or Motherboard or some other connected hardware shorts out which might damages the CPU or GPU. Or you have frequent blackouts or brownouts that could damage your computer by power surges when power comes back on etc.

So I wouldn't worry about it.  It is fairly uncommon you will damage anything if you are careful and know what you are doing when playing around inside the computer case.

0 Likes
af0n1a
Journeyman III

Привет, тоже задался этим вопросом и проверил его, если видеокарта в полном порядке, термопаста свежая как и термопрокладки то максимальная температура будет 70 градусов

0 Likes