cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

smellypants
Journeyman III

Radeon 6900 XT - Recent sizeable drop in framerates in various games.

As the title suggests, I'm running  a Radeon 6900 XT, running Windows 11 and the 24.1.1 driver.

I *was* running windows 10 and the previous driver..but in the effort to troubleshoot here I am with the same issue.  For a sanity check, I went and cleaned the PC to make sure there isn't any physical factors like dust/airflow considerations.

Device name DESKTOP-1G7VTEP
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Note: Running in a multi monitor setup

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎2/‎12/‎2024
OS build 22621.3007
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22681.1000.0

The issue I'm facing is with Call of Duty Warzone.  I DID have ~140+ frames when playing and it is now down to about 40-50 frames per second.  I've made CONSIDERABLE setting changes in favor of performance (most settings on low) with no changes.  When monitoring the performance in the AMD Adrenaline Software the GPU clock speed is consistently pegged at 1900 MHz.  I've tried various settings in the Adrenaline software and the current setting is on Performance-with no observable changes.

smellypants_0-1707842107643.png

smellypants_1-1707842436845.png

smellypants_2-1707842526157.png

Does anyone have any thoughts?

0 Likes
2 Replies
InnerConflict
Adept II

mhmm there´s alot of factors. did you try to cleaninstall the drivers? as in previous versions on your current setup? it seems that your gpu usage is not as it should be, thus the gpu is not utilized as it should be. even at 1900mhz clock, if the gpu usage is very low, something, software side could throttle performance. do any other games have this, if not, and its just limited to CoD, maybe there´s some bug. its certainly not hardware, most say its hardware thats faulty, i doubt that at first glance. whats the gpu usage when playing, as shown in the pictures? 22%? could you factory reset the driver and say it still behaves broken? did you upgrade to win11 through the windows updates? or did you properly install win11 with an ISO? ive seen such behavior on nvidia cards before, where the driver was bugged by a bad install.

i do consider the driver at fault, as a constantly pegged clockspeed of just 1900mhz seems like the driver is not properly working. you show that the voltage is at the max with 1175mv, so the gpu is pushing max voltage but not adhering to the clockspeed curve. this seems like the gpu has issues with properly boosting clockspeeds. 1900mhz is WAY too low for 1175mv voltage. this is abnormal.

so my first guess is, the driver is preventing proper utilization of the gpu. its a hazy situation but could you, if it is not too much work, try to backup everything you need to an external drive, reinstall win11 properly with rufus and an ISO, disconnect the internet physically, predownload the driver, not enable internet upon installing windows, install the driver and RECREATE this issue? if it persists, i would consider this a bug, but as of now, i do consider it a driverbug. if you use msi afterburner and overclock the card, overwrite the amd driver, does it still stay at 1900mhz? if it stays at 1900mhz even after you reinstalled windows and the driver from a usb stick (with no internet connection) and then enable the internet and try to play the game.....

i understand that its trouble some to reinstall windows as you cant simply make a backup of CoD. CoD uses a kernelbased anti cheat and you need to fully redownload the game upon a fresh windows install.

step 1: predownload amd driver, DDU and amd cleanup utility and disable internet.

step 2: install driver cleanly and enable internet, check games game file integrity in steam

step 3: try to recreate the issue, if the issue persists, use rufus, get an ISO with windows media creation tool and install win11 on a bootable USB stick, disable internet, install windows 11, install driver, try to recreate issue.

i hope someone with the same issue sees this thread and can give an easier answer. but to me, such issues usually come down to a faulty software installation. be it windows or driver.

0 Likes

step 1: predownload amd driver, DDU and amd cleanup utility and disable internet.

How?  On AMD's website I only see the adrenaline version, which requires internet access to download the driver specific to the detected card.  Note, I did this with the adrenaline version and didn't observe any change.

0 Likes