cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

leyvin
Miniboss

Question about Windows 11 & Ryzen 1000-Series

I've been considering installing the current Windows 11 Insider Preview for a while... 

What gives me pause however is Microsoft doesn't list the Zen (Ryzen 1000-Series) Processors as "Supported"
I'm not sure if this is an oversight., because in terms of Minimum Requirements; it supports what is needed... and I could've sworn that Zen+ was only a minor architectural tweak., functionally the 1000-Series and 2000-Series should be identical. 

Yes, yes... I know I could always upgrade my CPU., but if I were to do that I'd go with a 5000-Series; and well I just can't justify the increased price point.

I got my R5 1600 for £180... the R5 5600G is £230 and R5 5600X is £270., which arguably I could justify if it were just the CPU but I'd also need a 500-Series Motherboard as well; and because of how AMD have segmented support with the Chipset (as apparently they want to be just like Intel now they're doing well., because obviously f**k their Core Consumer Base)... well to actually get the full features of the CPU I'd need an X570 Board; which again going from a B350 Prime (£80) to an X570 Prime (£170) (I don't need any frills., RGB or any other useless non-sense; just want the board and core feature support) well it's hard to justify the price increase.

And this is of course assuming I can even get these for MSRP... while the CPU / MOBO Market isn't quite as ridiculous as the GPU Market; there remains some price gouging going on., which frankly has put me off upgrading for a while. 

In essence I'd say that I'm essentially stuck with what I've got at the moment., and while on-paper it should support Windows 11... it's not uncommon for software to 'soft lockout' anything they consider "unsupported".

So I'd rather find out from others who have the R5 1600 (or Ryzen 1000-Series) if it does work fine with Windows 11., or if there is something that will cause headaches due to a Soft Lockout; as if I have to make tweaks just to get supported, well it's not worth the effort. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Your ZEN processor will probably work if you can get Windows 11 to install but from what I have read Microsoft won't support Windows 11 with Windows updates with Unsupported Hardware installed.

This verifies what I mentioned about Windows 11 not being supported with Updates from Microsoft: https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/10/06/microsoft-warns-against-installing-windows-11-on-unsupporte...

"Previously, Microsoft suggested that users who install Windows 11 on ineligible devices wouldn’t receive important updates. A new support document has now confirmed that this would be the case going forward, and there may be other “damages”.

Windows 10 is a perfectly fine operating system, but if you choose to install Windows 11 on an unsupported PC, you may not receive security updates from the company. In a new support document, Microsoft confirmed that devices failing to meet these requirements will not be guaranteed to receive updates.

“Your device might malfunction due to these compatibility or other issues,” the company noted in a document published on Monday. “Devices that do not meet these system requirements will no longer be guaranteed to receive updates, including but not limited to security updates,” the company said."

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Your ZEN processor will probably work if you can get Windows 11 to install but from what I have read Microsoft won't support Windows 11 with Windows updates with Unsupported Hardware installed.

This verifies what I mentioned about Windows 11 not being supported with Updates from Microsoft: https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/10/06/microsoft-warns-against-installing-windows-11-on-unsupporte...

"Previously, Microsoft suggested that users who install Windows 11 on ineligible devices wouldn’t receive important updates. A new support document has now confirmed that this would be the case going forward, and there may be other “damages”.

Windows 10 is a perfectly fine operating system, but if you choose to install Windows 11 on an unsupported PC, you may not receive security updates from the company. In a new support document, Microsoft confirmed that devices failing to meet these requirements will not be guaranteed to receive updates.

“Your device might malfunction due to these compatibility or other issues,” the company noted in a document published on Monday. “Devices that do not meet these system requirements will no longer be guaranteed to receive updates, including but not limited to security updates,” the company said."

Even though my system more than qualifies for 11,I have no intentions on switching anytime soon.

There is no reason to go to W11

Plus The fact that there may be some shady goings on with Intel and Microsoft slowing down AMD CPU's on 11 Doesn't help either.AMD CPU's are reported to be 15% slower on W11 than on 10.

I installed Windows 11 and I personally find it more appealing graphically and modern looking than Windows 10.

But it takes time to get used to the new Windows format. In my case, Windows 10 is easier to maneuver around than Windows 11.

I noticed in Windows 11 I have to perform 2 or 3 more clicks of the mouse to perform the same function on Windows 10 to reach my objective.

Plus the Windows 11 bug. So far just normal computer usage I haven't noticed any slowdown of my Ryzen CPU. But it does take longer to boot into Windows desktop.

So I will see if my PC is peppier after Microsoft and AMD patches the bug with a fix in the near future.

I do realize it is wiser to wait a few months up to a year before upgrading to a new Windows version so that most of the major bugs will be fixed by the time you upgrade and the OS will be more stable.

But truthfully I really haven't noticed that much of a change in performance between Windows 10 and 11 except visually. I imagine that most of the changes in Windows11 are invisible to the Users or under the hood as the saying goes.

0 Likes