Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

redberet
Journeyman III

Price of RX Vega in the UK?

Hey there

Just wondering what the price of RX Vega 56 & 64 is supposed to be in the UK, prices seem inflated atm. I'd like to purchase a reference Vega 64 so I have the option to add water cooling down the line. I understand the prices should go down when supply meets or exceeds demand so just wondering what the price should be.

Thanks ^_^

0 Likes
1 Solution

The price should be around £700, but between supply shortages and cryptominers willing to pay $1000 for them, your only option for higher end gaming is a GTX 1080 or 1080Ti, which, alas, is also insanely expensive as AMD has no competition.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The price should be around £700, but between supply shortages and cryptominers willing to pay $1000 for them, your only option for higher end gaming is a GTX 1080 or 1080Ti, which, alas, is also insanely expensive as AMD has no competition.

Thanks for the reply

So they won't return to £400/500 (56/64)?

Nvidia isn't an option for me (same as Intel) due to their unethical business practices, and, I can see Vega nipping at the 1080ti's heels with mature drivers.

Also I'd like a DX12 card not a DX11 card (I'm sure Nvidia will get there eventually)

0 Likes

If the cryptocurrency market were to violently explode, causing a lot of people to lose a lot of money (which I pray for every day), then yes they'll plummet like a stone back towards AMD's intended MSRP. Sadly that's unlikely to happen. Also Vega production will be slowing down as Navi, on a more advanced process node, ramps up, and partly because AMD is dead in the water without Navi. Vega lacks the AI specific features nVidia Volta has, and they're able to be released anytime they desire, they're only holding them back because there is no competition from AMD, so there's no reason for them to put out a better product and reduce prices on their older models.

0 Likes

Crypto currencies are interesting and although I think they may crash in the next 12 months (everyone and their dog is talking about them and think they can make money from them) I don't think they're going anywhere, and, it's great for AMD (they're selling everything right?).

I don't think Navi is needed atm, MI/DL needs a software ecosystem and Vega is fine for that, it's actually a really nice architecture and there's lots of latent performance (primitive shaders and DSBR need driver side optimisations, they're costly / time consuming but any optimisations done should also work for Navi).

AFAIK there's no consumer Volta (Paxwell will be replace by Ampere which is Maxwell v3) and it's doubtful Nvidia will see the same gains they saw with Maxwell (TBR) and Pascal (high frequency). Navi is awhile away but looks very promising (AMD could cover low/mid/high end with a single die); what are the specific features you talk of? Tensor cores?

Shame the prices are so high, the RX is a great card (all of the variants are) and is really the only option for me.

Thank you for the exchange BlackZion, gues's my question is answered

0 Likes