cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Kerev
Adept I

possible ram issue, memtest showed no errors but trying the sticks indivually crashed my games

Hi, i have been running into some issues with some games like suicide squad kill the justice league and apex, where the game is crashing, hanging my pc or showing a bsod, i think the issues might be my ram, i have 2x16 kingston fury (KF552C40BBK2-32) my motherboard is an asus tuf gaming b650-plus wifi, my cpu is a ryzen 7 7700x and my gpu a rx 7900xtx, i ran some test with memtest 2 times, 1 for every stick, also because i wasnt sure if the dimm slot was faulty i ran them both on the same slot, memtest found no errors on both of them, i then tried playing apex with 1 stick (again, i tried both sticks on the same slot) and the stick #2 actually restarted my pc when i opened it, and i tried again and it crashed my game when loading into a game, with the stick #1 i could actually play apex and could also play suicide squad with no issues (i didnt tried playing suicide squad with stick #2 but i had a problem where my game would instantly hang my pc when loading into the world - this was when using both sticks), im 99% sure its the ram because of what i described earlier but its also worth noting that my ram only has xmp support and not expo, so i dont know if the issue was that i have been running the ram with docp enabled for quite a while now when its recommended to have expo support when using my cpu, i would appreciate any help to see if i can try something else or i will just need to buy another set of ram, thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

MEMTEST64 is excellent for finding "Defective" RAM Modules unfortunately it doesn't find if a RAM stick is compatible or not.

In your case your Ram Part Number is listed as being compatible for the 7000 series AMD Processors. But looking at Asus QVL List for RAM it indicates that it is only compatible for XMP mode and not compatible with EXPO mode in BIOS.

I would do a CLEAR CMOS to reset your BIOS back to factory defaults (Do set other BIOS settings that is needed to run your processor and hardware though except any concerning Memory leave as default) and then don't enable XMP or DOCP. See if you continue to get BSODs or PC crashing when playing games with both RAM sticks installed. If you don't then enable XMP for 5200 and again see if your computer crashes during games or continues to have BSODs.

It is possible you could also have a defective Motherboard or processor when running 2 sticks of RAM or more. but I have learned that if the PC runs fine with one stick of RAM but not with 2 sticks of RAM it is generally a compatibility issue or defective Motherboard or CPU.

Also I would make sure you have the latest BIOS Version installed on your motherboard which can help with compatibility issues and latest AMD CHIPSET drivers installed.

After if your issues continue I would open a Warranty ticket with both Asus and AMD to see if your Motherboard or Processor needs to be RMAed to be checked.

Also open a Warranty Ticket with Kingston to check to see if your RAM set has some sort of incompatibility problem.

NOTE: Be sure you install both RAM sticks in the correct DIMM Slots on the motherboard:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 204455.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies

MEMTEST64 is excellent for finding "Defective" RAM Modules unfortunately it doesn't find if a RAM stick is compatible or not.

In your case your Ram Part Number is listed as being compatible for the 7000 series AMD Processors. But looking at Asus QVL List for RAM it indicates that it is only compatible for XMP mode and not compatible with EXPO mode in BIOS.

I would do a CLEAR CMOS to reset your BIOS back to factory defaults (Do set other BIOS settings that is needed to run your processor and hardware though except any concerning Memory leave as default) and then don't enable XMP or DOCP. See if you continue to get BSODs or PC crashing when playing games with both RAM sticks installed. If you don't then enable XMP for 5200 and again see if your computer crashes during games or continues to have BSODs.

It is possible you could also have a defective Motherboard or processor when running 2 sticks of RAM or more. but I have learned that if the PC runs fine with one stick of RAM but not with 2 sticks of RAM it is generally a compatibility issue or defective Motherboard or CPU.

Also I would make sure you have the latest BIOS Version installed on your motherboard which can help with compatibility issues and latest AMD CHIPSET drivers installed.

After if your issues continue I would open a Warranty ticket with both Asus and AMD to see if your Motherboard or Processor needs to be RMAed to be checked.

Also open a Warranty Ticket with Kingston to check to see if your RAM set has some sort of incompatibility problem.

NOTE: Be sure you install both RAM sticks in the correct DIMM Slots on the motherboard:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 204455.png

0 Likes

What i did for now is i disabled docp so my ram is running stock and i havent had a problem, now i can actually play suicide squad, i will keep the setting like this and see if the issue is fixed in the long run, ill keep in mind what you listed if something goes wrong, thanks for the help

I have a Asus X570 Motherboard and I manually set my DDR4 to 3600Mhz without enabling DOCP . Everything worked fine. Then I spotted DOCP setting and decided to enable it. As soon as I did my computer wouldn't boot up and went straight to BIOS with my Memory set to SPD setting. After the second time I disabled DOCP and again manually set my RAM OC to 3600Mhz without any issues.

After updating BIOS I couldn't locate DOCP setting in the new BIOS after updating. It might be there I don't bother looking for it.