cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Pleasing and informative new AMD Forum format - Opinion only

First time I logged on to the new AMD Forum format. Needed to change my old Password which wasn't any good any more.

Seems like AMD got rid of JIVE and replaced it with Khoros. Hopefully Khoros will be less annoying than JIVE.

The look is rather pleasing and colorful with a lot of information in each page. 

Rather perplexed by the rating system of KUDOs.  Seems like the old Point system ranking has been replaced by KUDOs ranking.

One thing I noticed you now can delete your Private Messages or mark them as Read which is a nice feature from the old AMD format which it didn't have.

The Thread view is more informative but in a simpler format. Now it shows how many Users have opened each thread and whether it is solved.

I also like that now you have a drop down menu to go to another AMD Forum unlike the old AMD format.

At the top you have your In-Box and PM with separate Icons now instead of everything being in the In-box like the old AMD Format which is a nice feature.

Haven't done anything else but just noting my first impressions of the new AMD Format.  Later on if I see anything that is annoying or hinders the User's experience at AMD Forum I will make a note of it and mention it.

But KUDOs to Sam and all the other AMD employees involved in making this new Format for all Users a better experience.

96 Replies

@elstaci wrote:

Yes, generally at time replies with links were sent for Moderation but never for images as far as I am aware of. When JIVE was active, I don't recall any of my replies being moderated due to images that I posted.

Links could be dangerous since it could lead a User to get his computer infected when visiting a link or maybe post a link that can be considered illegal. So I can see the reason for moderating replies with links on them. They can be a huge security risk to the User or AMD Forum.

I guess some one could upload an image that may cause infection but generally it the content of the image that would send it to moderation.

But now with this new format anyone that uploads an image, the reply will automatically go into moderation to be reviewed by a Moderator. Which wasn't the way it was under JIVE.

By the Way, I never mentioned that error was limited to just me. I just said that i got that error and was asking what an "Invalid HTML" example was. That way I wouldn't do the same mistake in the future.

@elstaci  how can you tell that a reply or post is going into moderation. I have not seen it pop up that any of my stuff is being moderated. How can I tell?

@pokester  As far as I am aware, you can't tell directly by a Pop-up warning.

The reply just disappears from the thread or the Thread disappears. That was how I knew my replies had gone to moderation. Than the then next day I see that my replies had reappeared again in the thread. No message saying my content was approved or not.

I wish, like the old AMD Forum, the User would be warned when a reply goes to moderation due to an image being uploaded or a link being posted.

Like I mentioned in my previous reply, when I was going to link another current User thread I just answered with a couple of images and links I couldn't find the thread. It just disappeared. I was perplexed but then I realized it most likely went to moderation.

Then I found under "HELP" that any time someone uploads an image it must first be approved by a Moderator before being posted in the thread.

I guess so far I have not uploaded a new picture. I have however put in web links that on Jive would have needed moderation and I don't remember as of yet seeing any popup but I do use popup blockers so maybe that affects it. But I don't see anything saying it needs moderation at least not like it did under the old forum. 

@pokester 

To see if your reply went to moderation, After you replied close the thread and wait a few minutes and reload the page and check to see if you still see your reply or not.

Thanks I will check for that!

Took me 3 hours but I finally cleared all the pics I uploaded...RIP the threads they were in but most of them also accompanied a website link as well.

I did the same and it sucks as a lot of that would have helped people with new issues too. 

I thought of another change we need as well: Force format titles so only the first letter of each word is capitalized AND NOT IN ALL CAPS LIKE SO MANY #$%@ DO because it's tacky as heck.

I hope that AMD Forum give the option to "Attach" files again. That way Users can attach any diagnostic files like DXDIAG or MS Troubleshooter, Manuals, Technical PDF for hardware, etc.

Also the option to "Delete" your reply which I find useful many times.

Also when a Reply goes to be reviewed by a Moderator it gives some sort of Alert Message to the User that their reply is being moderated.

Also to be able to paste and copy images directly to a reply without having to go through 3-4 steps to upload an image by clicking on Photos. I guess they have it set up that way so that AMD Forums can save each image to the User's Photo Album.  If a User Copy & Paste then that image isn't saved to the User's album. just guessing though.

I hope too that they are able to make it so when you click on a thread in your notification feed, it brings you to the last unread reply like the old one did instead of to the last reply of the thread.

I cannot support people properly as I am unable to post screenshots.
I do not want to delete old pictures either as it will wreck previous solutions /posts.

Is there a fix for this?

0 Likes

I am unable to update the Spec of Medusa Rig Showcase. 
I have selected motherboard and CPU. 
Ordering now. 
I need to edi the data in the spreadsheet. 

I am unable to upload pictures either. 
Can someone help?

Thanks. 

@colesdav wrote:

I am unable to update the Spec of Medusa Rig Showcase. 
I have selected motherboard and CPU. 
Ordering now. 
I need to edi the data in the spreadsheet. 

I am unable to upload pictures either. 
Can someone help?

Thanks. 

I know I had to delete most my old photos to post any more. AMD chose to put a 1000 picture limit on users ability to add pictures. I spent hours deleting old pictures to have the ability to support new question at the detriment to those already helped that could have helped future questions also. 

Also you can't copy and paste a picture into this forum. You have to browse to the picture. If your issue is different than this I would contact Sam and see if he can look into it. 

0 Likes

Hi, 

Yes I have reached upload limit of 1000 images. 
I am not deleting old ones as it will wreck old threads. 

Oh well - I guess no one wants to see an insane MultiGPU blender rig  with Ryzen 9 5950X and Asus X570 Creator Motherboard. 
Provided I can actually get the parts...

Tough. 

0 Likes

I agree it made me sick to ruin all those old posts. I tried to mostly delete ones that were pics with old interface help that is outdated now anyway but still would have preferred to not do that. I am not sure why we need a pic limit when if we had one before nobody ever reached it So apparently it was never a problem. 

I saw the frame you are working on in the other thread and I would love to see the completed build at some point in thread. As I have told you before the stuff you contribute is just awesome and I always look forward to what you contribute. Having this picture limit stifle that is a real shame. PM Sam is the best advice I can give. He said he would look into raising the pic limit for top contributors. I will mention him here also as he did say this and maybe he can offer an update if or when this will actually happen. @Sam_AMD 

Thank you. 

The build has been on hold until the new AMD CPU and GPU were launched. 

Also 2020 has been a terrible year.

0 Likes

Found something else that is a little annoying.

It seems if your reply is older than 24 hours YOU CAN"T EDIT THE REPLY ANYMORE!

I was going to edit a reply I made yesterday on a thread and found out the Edit option had disappeared. So I was forced to open a new reply just to be able to edit my original reply from yesterday. The new reply has the Edit option on it but not the original reply I made yesterday.

Is there a reason to remove the option to Edit a reply after a certain amount of time has past, like 24 hours?

@Ray_AMD 

0 Likes