cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Nimkip2
Adept I

PC unresponsive and freezes up randomly

This is my first computer build and recently I would get random hangs where the display locks to whatever on screen and it would not respond to any input. unplugging/ re-plugging the display cable from port will not return image, resulting in signal lost. weirdly audio either from videos/ games or discord calls will still continue. When checking on windows event-viewer the only error that would pop up is the force restart, which i have to do to return the PC to normal. The occurrence of the freeze is mostly random but always when i am playing a game. regardless of how demanding the game is. Certain games will trigger this issue and some games doesn't trigger it at all.

PC specs: CPU: i5-13600K | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800XT | MBD: Z690 GAMING X DD4R | RAM: Teamgroup 2x8 | STORAGE: Teamgroup 1TB / 2TB | PSU: Core Reactor 850W GOLD | CPU cooler: Noctua NH D15 | CASE: fractal 4000D airflow

1 Solution
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

What driver version are you using? 23.9.2 and 23.9.3 had major freezing issues for many RX 6000 series cards including my own RX 6800 XT. If you are on either of those drivers I suggest you move to 23.10.2 or 23.9.1.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MisoRonery
Journeyman III

I am having similar issues but I will eventually get a BSOD. Uninstalling the AMD Adrenaline software has seemingly fixed my issue.  

0 Likes

I will try this method and uninstall  adrenaline

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

What driver version are you using? 23.9.2 and 23.9.3 had major freezing issues for many RX 6000 series cards including my own RX 6800 XT. If you are on either of those drivers I suggest you move to 23.10.2 or 23.9.1.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

I have driver 23.9.3. as you suggested i will update to the latest driver 23.10.2

Its been a few days without any freezes after playing a majority of my games. I have tried both solutions of updating to the latest drivers without installing adrenaline, but later reinstall adrenaline to prove if the driver update solve the random hangs. So far i can say this so far solve the issue.

0 Likes
Wino
Journeyman III

huh same problem here with rx 5600xt gigabyte windforce oc i ve read cpurpe91 reply i hope it will fix that problem thank you guys anyway

vlad_8011
Adept III

Did you fixed it? I get similar freezes, but these last for 10-30 seconds. One after one. I suspected search app (indexing issue - I rebuild index, no change) or edge browser - my main browser. After disabling everything in edge settings > system I had no freeze. It started today after cleaning C drive (with system tools) yesterday and setting default app locations in settings > storage to different drive. No new system updates, no driver updates lastly. 

Using 23.30.01.02 driver since it's release. Internet connection set as tarrif to block window update.

0 Likes

After uninstalling the Adrenaline software I have had zero issues. I am running Windows 11 with Defender running. I had a suspicion it’s a conflict between Adrenaline and Microsoft ransomware protection.  

0 Likes

For me 23.10.2 drivers fixed it completely. Dont forget to use AMD Cleanup utility. Afterwards, 23.11.1 also working properly.

0 Likes