cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

cross3x
Journeyman III

PC burning smell

So, parts of this are not specifically AMD related but I need advice as I'm not particularly knowledgeable about PCs.

Yesterday I was playing Battlefield 4 and everything seemed to be going alright, GPU (RX580) temps were 65C and at times 70 but never went higher than that, I had VSYNC enabled to make sure that the frame rate would cap at 75 also to ensure the GPU temps weren't going to be getting **bleep**y due to it just going and going.

I left the game due to a bug and went to play CS however when I did this I got a pop-up from Radeon Software saying that the driver had timed out, after this my screen went black and my monitor started looking for video sources. I held my power button to turn off and on my PC and it started up as normal, I opened steam but it displayed white in the library, wouldn't show me any games then pretty much straight after that I noticed a sort of weak burning smell and the noise of my fans slowlyyyyy ramping up - at this point I just turned it off and unplugged it from the wall.  - From what I can tell the smell was from the middle/back - bottom/back of the case however I can't be too sure 

It's been overnight now

Any ideas of what has went wrong / what have I **bleep**ed up + best steps from here?

0 Likes
1 Solution

If you are positive that you smelled something burning from inside your computer case that is not a good sign.

Sounds like something is shorting or shorted out or overheated (burnt out).

Before turning power on again, I would remove everything connected to the motherboard and see if the burnt smell came from one of the hardware attached to the motherboard or if you can spot any signs of burnt components on the hardware.

Then if possible check the motherboard and PSU for signs of burning or burnt component. 

Could be something simple as a fan that went bad (shorted out or overheated) or maybe an insect that got fried inside your computer case.

another words try, as best as possible, to locate what caused the burning smell. Because if you power up the computer without finding the cause it could permanently damage the hardware where the burning originally came from besides damaging any other hardware connected to the Motherboard.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you are positive that you smelled something burning from inside your computer case that is not a good sign.

Sounds like something is shorting or shorted out or overheated (burnt out).

Before turning power on again, I would remove everything connected to the motherboard and see if the burnt smell came from one of the hardware attached to the motherboard or if you can spot any signs of burnt components on the hardware.

Then if possible check the motherboard and PSU for signs of burning or burnt component. 

Could be something simple as a fan that went bad (shorted out or overheated) or maybe an insect that got fried inside your computer case.

another words try, as best as possible, to locate what caused the burning smell. Because if you power up the computer without finding the cause it could permanently damage the hardware where the burning originally came from besides damaging any other hardware connected to the Motherboard.

Alright I'll try to look at the parts ASAP... most likely whenever my brother is around next as he knows more and previously owned this PC. Thank you for the advice 

0 Likes
EFermi
Miniboss

I love the smell of burning silicon in the morning.