cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Over 20,000,000 of Chrome Users are Victims of Fake Ad Blockers

"According to the PageFair 2014 report, Google Chrome is a major driver of adblock growth. 20% of users discovered ad blocking by browsing “available browser extensions”. Given how popular ad blocking is, it is quite a lot. This also explains why "cloning" wide-spread ad blockers has become so popular among online crooks. Seven months ago big news broke: 37,000 users were tricked into installing a fake Adblock Plus extension.

What if I told you that thanks to poor Chrome's WebStore moderation the situation is much worse, and in reality over 20,000,000 users are affected and tricked into installing fake malicious ad blockers?" Article: Over 20,000,000 of Chrome Users are Victims of Fake Ad Blockers

"Particle" Chrome Extension Sold to New Dev Who Immediately Turns It Into Adware

"A company is going around buying abandoned Chrome extensions from their original developers and converting these add-ons into adware.

This scheme came to light two days ago when the users of a popular Chrome extension began complaining about an update that requested two intrusive permissions that the extension never used, or would have never had a reason to. The two permissions are:

• Read and change data on (all) websites visited
  • Manage apps, extensions, and themes

The Chrome extension in question is named Particle (formerly known as YouTube+) and is a simple tool that allows users to change the UI and behavior of some of YouTube's standard features.'

The extension's new user — roberthawkinsg — is also the author of two other Chrome extensions: "Typewriter Sounds" and "Twitch Mini Player."

Article: "Particle" Chrome Extension Sold to New Dev Who Immediately Turns It Into Adware

0 Likes
1 Reply

This is very good information for all Google Chrome Users who have installed AD BLOCKERs extensions. I have been using a FAIR AD BLOCKER which is decent for my Google Chrome. One click to "Whitelist" a particular website

0 Likes