cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Deo1954
Journeyman III

Optional update about- Advanced Micro Devices Inc. - SecurityDevices - 5.17.0.0

This option is in my Optional Update Window > Advanced Micro Devices Inc. - SecurityDevices 5.17.0.0

May I know how important is this update with my current PC setup, or can I just totally ignore this because, I am NOT currently experiencing any issue of some sorts at present. Please let me know more about this and in what situation will this become important and necessary.

> Desktop Tower Case- Tecware Forge MATX

> Motherboard- TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (Wi-Fi)

> CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

> Memory Kit- G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 (2x8Gb)

Your help and any information about this matter will definitely be very helpful.

Thank you

1 Solution
Sirzin
Journeyman III

Microsoft has now resumed updating all AMD-based devices with the Windows operating system security update to help protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown. Microsoft worked with AMD to resolve update blocks on a small subset of older AMD processors (that were previously blocked to avoid users getting into an unbootable state after installation of recent Windows operating system security updates).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KBlack69Z
Journeyman III

I'd like to know myself. They don't tell us a lot and I'd like to know before I install it, what it's for, and is for the video card or the CPU.

Great question!

Sirzin
Journeyman III

Microsoft has now resumed updating all AMD-based devices with the Windows operating system security update to help protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown. Microsoft worked with AMD to resolve update blocks on a small subset of older AMD processors (that were previously blocked to avoid users getting into an unbootable state after installation of recent Windows operating system security updates).

This is such a great info, I truly appreciate it and I am sure others too.

Thank you so very much.

0 Likes

I'm sorry but what does it mean?

Is it better to install it or is it included with an update so we can skip it?

0 Likes

Hello,

It doesn't explain what this patch do exactly.

Does it have side effects like high performance drops of Intel processors ?

What are the processors concerne by this patch ?

Thank you by advance for a clear answer.