cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Mikhail2400
Adept I

Oil on outside of new Ryzen 5 5600x

I just got my new Ryzen 5 5600x and theres oil on the outside of the AMD box, specifically its on the side with the square cutout showing the processor. Is this normal or should I return this one?

Thanks for your time

Mike

1 Solution

Do not open or mess with the packaging. Leave it the way you got it exactly so that you can upload photos to AMD Warranty and see if that is a reason to RMA your new processor.

Or have the Retailer replace it if the Retailer still has a Return date on it or Warranty.

You can open a AMD Support - Warranty ticket from here : https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Most likely it may not be anything to do with the processor but the oil might affect the processor when you install it. So I would let AMD tell what to do or contact your Retailer and see if they believe it should be replaced.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Can you upload a photo of what you are talking about?

Also a photo of the processor's container.

Heres the pic

oil.jpg

Do not open or mess with the packaging. Leave it the way you got it exactly so that you can upload photos to AMD Warranty and see if that is a reason to RMA your new processor.

Or have the Retailer replace it if the Retailer still has a Return date on it or Warranty.

You can open a AMD Support - Warranty ticket from here : https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Most likely it may not be anything to do with the processor but the oil might affect the processor when you install it. So I would let AMD tell what to do or contact your Retailer and see if they believe it should be replaced.

thanks for the advice. I contacted Amazon, they offered to do a partial refund so I could keep and try it out. I opted for a return for a new unit instead. No sense in possibly compromising a $1700 build to save a few bucks

Good decision in my opinion. Amazon is very good about Returns and replacing without any hassles.

Possibly someone accidentally spilled oil on the AMD Retail box or when it was being boxed at AMD.

But with such an expensive piece of hardware I wouldn't take chances either. 

Was the outside of the AMD Box stained with oil also or just the inside box containing the Processor?

Taking a closer look at the droplets could it be water condensation and not oil?  Looks like it came out from a freezer and thawed out.

There was no oil on any of the other 3 products in the shipping box. It was only on the side of the AMD box in the picture. I have no idea if AMD uses some type of oil on the inside of the processors and if they do it shouldnt be leaking. If they dont then its possible the pins on the processor may be coated in the oil which could cause who knows what kind of problems

That was  what I was thinking also. You would need to have soaked the pins in 90% or higher alcohol and use a swab or napkin and very carefully try to remove most of the oil from the pins.

If it was just that processor box and the outside of the AMD Retail box was clean than obviously the oil got there when AMD was boxing the processor inside the retail box.

Who knows maybe the factory machine or Robot that boxed the processor inside the box was leaking oil at the time.

Looks like something came in contact with it. I highly doubt it came from inside the box processor itself. I would of opened and inspected it first. 

MSi B550 Gaming Plus, AMD 5950X XfX 6700XT Qick 319
32GB PNY XL8R 3200MHz 4x8Gb CL16, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
0 Likes

I never opened the box, it still has the factory seal on it. Seeing as my case wont be here till Friday and they could have a new processor here by Thursday I took the safe route

To soak processor inside blister that kept in box you need to soak whole box in Oil.

There is no guarantee that processor inside intact and work properly because of violation of transportation rules for sensitive electronic devices. When you take it from transportation company and open the box you approve that box in such state is normal and you bought it like that. I recommend to return such at place where it was given to you immediately.

If processor is not working you may need to return it with original package. How can you explain state of the box after you brought it to home and opened it? I recommend to do unboxing video with voiced comments. It may help you in dispute with seller.

I never opened the actual AMD box and the seal tape AMD placed on it is still intact. It came in a larger box along with two other computer parts which all came from Amazon. There was no oil on any other box in that package and I have no idea if it was actually on the CPU itself.

Its a moot point anyways as I have already arranged for its return and the replacement is running in the PC which im using right now. To be honest it may have been perfectly fine. I just wasnt going to take that chance on a new build with all new parts.