cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

nVidia RTX 3060 BAR: 4-11% performance gains on AMD X570, NO AMD X370 SUPPORT

Always nice when us early adopters get the shaft even from the competition because AMD won't support X370 anymore... Last time I ever buy anything that's new from AMD.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-resizable-bar-tested-with-evga-rtx-3060-xc-black/

image.png

6 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

You're complaining about functionality you'd never come close to getting with an Intel motherboard purchased in 2017, so your threat is rather silly.

Silly is spending in excess of $1000 on a X370 setup, which was slower than Intel processors of the time, and expecting AMD to support it as long as Socket AM4 existed, like they did with all previous sockets, and not get support cut off despite 400 series boards having the same exact chipset.

At least with Intel you know you're going to get the shaft...

X370 supported Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2 if the motherboard vendor made that happen.  Doing the latter required removing support for older processors, due to BIOS size limits.  X370 even supported pre-Zen Bristol Ridge processors.

Never in its history has Intel provided that many processor generations for a given motherboard.  To the best of my recollection, going back to the 486 days, you'd be lucky to get one generational upgrade in the same motherboard.  Usually, a new CPU generation means a new motherboard with Intel.

I think the most expensive X370 motherboard was about $350 at launch, and the most expensive Zen processor was $500.  That puts you well short of "in excess of $1000", so you're not even being honest while venting your irrational anger.

If getting a Zen 3 processor were that important, getting a new motherboard wouldn't be a big obstacle.

ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Wi-Fi - $288.99
AMD Ryzen 1800X - $493.66
G.Skill Flare 2x8GB DDR4 3200 RAM - $187.99

RMA shipping for defective Ryzen 1800X - $19.35
New Windows 10 license due to replacement 1800X invalidating previous license: $202.16

Total: $1192.15
0 Likes

You're really reaching.  You have to buy RAM for any computer, and you also need an OS license for any computer, though it's entirely possible to get Windows 10 for free legitimately if you have a valid Windows 7 license.  Replacing one 1800X with another would not invalidate the license, which is what you seem to be claiming.

The upshot is, you're just mining salt.  If you don't want to buy AMD again because they only treated you 50% better than Intel instead of 100% better, go ahead.  You don't need to announce it to the world and expect anyone to consider your stance reasonable.

I guess welcome to the world of technology... this is what happens with all hardware without exception. My $300 x570 taichi, $550 5900x, $1100 6900xt, $450 ram will all be considered retired and out of date this fall when new hardware is released. If you want 7-8 years of hardware support I would recommend looking at a PlayStation instead

0 Likes