cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

nVidia releases DX 12 Ultimate driver enabling GPU Hardware Scheduling in Win 10 2004

You can read the whole article here. AMD is now on the clock, though given Win 10 2004's issues, it's a slow clock.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15880/nvidia-posts-first-directx-12-ultimate-driver-set-enables-gpu-hardware-scheduling

But I will post this excerpt, as it's likely going to be applicable to AMD as well. It looks like in Win 10 2004 the GPU choice page is integrated into Windows Settings itself instead of being preset in the GPU's software programs, which will be helpful for mixed mobile systems which have, say, an AMD or Intel APU, which you wouldn't install anything but the driver for, and a dedicated nVidia GPU.

18 Replies

This doesn't apply to my GTX 1070 but at least I will have Vulkan 1.2 support with the latest driver that came out today, 06/24/2020.

Which probably means AMD will probably follow suite in the near future with AMD Graphics Drivers.

EDIT: Let me clarify my above reply. I mentioned Vulkan 1.2 because the article linked by Black_Zion mentioned this new version has come out in Nvidia 450 series drivers in which the latest is version 451.48 that includes DirectX12 Ultimate and Vulkan 1.2.

That AMD will probably follow suite by also updating Vulkan to version 1.2 in the near future if it hasn't already.  Plus once the AMD RDNA2 GPUs (rumored to be release to the public in late 2020) comes out, then the new drivers for those cards will probably also include DirectX12 Ultimate following Nvidia's footsteps.

0 Likes

Going to be interesting to see how fast DirectX 12 Ultimate adoption really is considering its implementation may mean quite a bit of game engine work to implement it, plus it's going to take at least 2 years for DX12U capable cards to get high enough market share in the channel to make a real blip.

0 Likes

In case anyone is interested to know what DIRECTX12 ULTIMATE is all about here is the article from the same website linked above explaining what that new feature is: Microsoft Unveils DirectX 12 Ultimate: The GPU Feature Set For the Next Generation of Games 

0 Likes

WCCFTech did a quick comparison in two games, Gears Tactics and Forza Horizon 4. There isn't much difference on the 2080Ti, although with its 11GB VRAM it's to be expected, so I won't post that chart. The GTX 1650 Super, however, with its 4GB VRAM, shows distinct improvement. It will be interesting when tests are expanded to a couple dozen games and more cards to see if this kind of uplift is seen across the board, especially the upper midrange 2070/5700XT where 8GB VRAM is starting to become a real limitation, but a free 8% improvement isn't anything to sniff at.

https://wccftech.com/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling-performance-with-turing/

TomsHardware's test results on this have shown mixed results, effectively no net gain.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-hardware-scheduling-tested

Does not work on my GTX 690 even though its more powerful than a RTX 2060 and every Radeon card out there.

So even more ridiculous, GTX 690 SLI for quad GPU brute force.

My RTX 2080 can take advantage of the DX12 Ultimate but only to the extent of the card's capabilities. RTX 2080 is also extreme like all the other cards in my junk box.

The Crytek neon noir demo was done on a Vega 56. My RTX 2080 beats that card so I can render that fine.

0 Likes

'GTX 690 even though its more powerful than a RTX 2060 and every Radeon card out there'   LOL,  #deluded

0 Likes

badbod wrote:

'GTX 690 even though its more powerful than a RTX 2060 and every Radeon card out there'   LOL,  #deluded

I have GTX 690 SLI so I can beat even an RTX Titan albeit with limited VRAM

each GTX 690 is using two GTX 680s on one card, so GTX 690 SLI is a quad setup

0 Likes

ON WHAT PLANET? A 960 isn't even close to a 2060. Comparing dual and quad cards means nothing. Even then MOST games won't benefit from the extra cards. Good for compute I guess if you don't mind burning all the extra power. 

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-690-SLI-Disabled/4034vsm... 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

ON WHAT PLANET? A 960 isn't even close to a 2060. Comparing dual and quad cards means nothing. Even then MOST games won't benefit from the extra cards. Good for compute I guess if you don't mind burning all the extra power. 

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-690-SLI-Disabled/4034vsm... 

That review has SLI disabled so it is bogus for a review. A GTX 690 is SLI on a card otherwise I am degraded to a GTX 680.

I have GTX 690 which is double the performance shown so that comparison should be removed from the internet

0 Likes

Gamers Nexus testing:
Windows 10 Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling Benchmarks (Frametimes, FPS) | GamersNexus - Gaming P... 

It does nothing for FPS performance at present.

0 Likes

Think it may be a bit of a bait right now to get people to move from stable 1909 to buggy 2004, advertising a feature so heavily yet so vaguely that while it may be useful in the future, is useless now?

Yes. I think it may be a bait.
A bit like Windows 10 "Gaming Mode".
And Windows 10 "DX12".

Almost as bad as the AMD Ryzen XT CPU "launch" on the 7th July. Those processors are a blatant cash grab and make no sense at current pricing - especially when AMD are also dropping the coolers on the 3800XT and 3900XT models.
They should have released better coolers with the processors or dropped the price by ~50 to compensate for no cooler in the box.

No sign of announcing Navi 10 refresh yet.
Maybe AMD didn't want to hit us with too much excitement in one day...

As for Big Navi?
I cannot see how AMD will be able to launch it given all of the problems with Navi 10 RX5000 series drivers and GPUs.

Maybe I am just Grumpy today though...
COVID-19 nonsense is beyond ridiculous now.

0 Likes

I have had 3 family members recover from it that were younger. It killed my Mom though at 80. She kept going to church back in March when I warned here to stop and I think got it there. Luckily my father did not get it from her. 

It is definitely on the rise again. We had a largest amount of cases ever in a day yesterday. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

I have had 3 family members recover from it that were younger. It killed my Mom though at 80. She kept going to church back in March when I warned here to stop and I think got it there. Luckily my father did not get it from her. 

It is definitely on the rise again. We had a largest amount of cases ever in a day yesterday. 

COVID-19 is spreading so fast as to be good for an apocalyptic game background

0 Likes

Don't forget Threadripper though, it's apparently about to get a refresh too, and could feature a whopping 8 channel memory controller, the same found in EPYC CPUs.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3995wx-pro-cpu-spotted-8-channel-memory-wrx80-platform/

0 Likes

I saw a post earlier on twitter from AMD mentioning a new TR CPU

Does not fit my motherboard so was not of much interest to me

0 Likes