cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Akaandu
Adept I

No POST, I've tried and replaced everything

I've been having a problem with my build not posting, the system powers on and then does nothing indefinitely. DRAM and CPU debug LEDs are on and solid, and I've replaced everything in my system one at a time, starting with:

ASUS A320M-K
16Gb DDR4 3000MHz
Ryzen 5 3600
600W 80+ Gold PSU
256Gb Neo Forza 2.5" SATA SSD
1Tb WD Blue HDD 7200 RPM
RX 580 8Gb
Unbranded M.2 Wi-fi Card

And I now currently run:

Asrock B550M pro4
32Gb DDR4 3000 MHz (Added another set to the original)
Ryzen 7 3700X
750W 80+ Bronze PSU
256Gb Neo Forza 2.5" SATA SSD
1Tb WD Blue HDD 7200 RPM
Samsung EVO 970+ 1Tb
RTX 2060 OC Edition 6Gb
RX 580 8Gb
Unbranded M.2 Wi-Fi Card

The issue is as follows: When I turn on the system, either by pressing the power or jumping the pins, the fans start spinning on both the chassis and the GPU. I've tried this on both motherboards, using both CPUs, and I tried all combinations of RAM I could possibly do, on both boards. Still refuses to post, no signal detected by monitor. I have called a technician, and he claims that its the CPU that's the problem, and that's where the 3700X came from. This is basically an entirely new system now, so I am very confused and irritated that it does not want to work.

I bought the CPU second-hand, and returns are not possible if it happens to be the problem
Warranty on the prebuilt (Found here) is not within warranty anymore.
Everything else either did not come with a protection plan, or it is expired.
Its been months for me trying to fix this and I am losing my sanity, anything I have not tried would be welcome.

What I have tried is:

Resetting CMOS
Using different display out methods, (HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI-D, none work) 
Trying no less than 3 different power supplies (1000W, 750W, and 600W)
Using 2 different motherboards
Using 2 different GPUs
Using 2 different CPUs
Taking everything out and only leaving necessary components connected (No RGB, no storage drives, no fans, only RAM, CPU, and GPU)
Trying all 24 combinations of RAM in all the DIMM slots (16 on the B550, 8 on the A320)

0 Likes
19 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Does the MOBO BIOS come up?

Have you set your Boot Menu Priority in the BIOS?

Are you installing your OS from Disk or USB Flash Drive?

Are you using non conductive standoffs for mounting your MOBO?

Try checking the power reset HDD/SSD LED signal wires for breaks tears anything that could be causing a short against your case.

Your either getting bad parts or your case is making conductive contact with something it shouldn't is a possibility.

Have you detected any burning smells when powering up? 

Also make sure your PSU power cord is plugged directly into its own outlet and not a power strip or surge protector.

0 Likes

BIOS is inaccessible, I used a regular outlet, and I tested everything outside of the case on a non-conductive surface. I have an M.2 SSD that has the OS on it, and I could not find any broken/shorted wires.

0 Likes

I would let BIOS determine where the problem is.

I would disconnect all hardware (Including USB devices, Keyboard, Mouse, GPU everything) from the motherboard except the PSU & CPU.

You can at first leave your Window's SSD drive installed but if you keep having problems I would temporarily remove it just to see if you can boot into BIOS with the GPU Card installed.

Turn on the PC and BIOS will check your processor. If the CPU passes your Motherboard's CPU Trouble LED should turn off and the RAM Trouble LED  light should light up solid because you have no RAM installed.

Install one stick of RAM Memory in A2, which is generally the first DIMM Slot for the first Ram stick and turn on the PC. BIOS will check your CPU and then the RAM Memory. If it passes both the CPU and RAM then the VGA Trouble LED light should light up since you have no GPU card installed and both the CPU and RAM Trouble LED should turn off.

If the CPU Trouble LED turns off before installing the RAM that does, at least, indicate the processor passed the BIOS test for Hardware enough to boot into Windows. If you install the RAM Stick and you get both CPU and RAM LED  lights on then it is possible the RAM may not be compatible with the CPU or even defective.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS installed on both Motherboards. Because if you have the wrong BIOS version that doesn't support your processor it won't boot up.

Make sure the RAM Memory you use on both Motherboards are listed on the Motherboard's QVL List for the processor you are using or listed as being compatible at the RAM Manufacturer's QVL list for motherboards.

NOTE: Best way to check if your used CPU is defective is by installing it on another computer. Maybe a friends or family or your local computer shop.

0 Likes

I have done all of this already, and no luck. I have a second computer, or rather a set of components that could be made into another computer, and using them has resulted in null. Unless I've been misinformed, the version of BIOS that the B550 is running (P1.50) is more than capable of supporting a 3rd gen Ryzen. 

0 Likes

There is no BIOS version 1.50 only 1.40 according to ASRock Motherboard BIOS download page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M%20Pro4/#BIOS

Screenshot 2022-02-19 231725.png

By your original reply you didn't mention anything about you disconnecting all hardware from your motherboard and just start testing the CPU by itself and then adding RAM and so forth and see which Motherboard Trouble LED Light stays on.

Also is the Ryzen CPU the one that you got used?

Have you tried installing the used Ryzen on another compatible motherboard just to see if it boots up or not?

Is your RAM for the Ryzen listed for your processor in your motherboard's QVL List for the 3000 series processors?

NOTE: I would download BIOS Version 1.70 to see if the problem is your Motherboard's BIOS installed. You probably made a mistake in posting version P1.50 also none of the BIOS versions start with the letter "P" on it.

So either you misprinted the wrong ASRock Motherboard model or you have another ASRock BIOS  installed for a different Motherboard.

0 Likes

The sticker on the BIOS chip clearly says "P1.50", and I did I did run just the CPU without RAM installed and got the same results. The CPU was used, but it seems to be in near perfect condition, at least externally. The same brand and frequency does appear, but I use Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 16Gb  and not 8Gb, the other RAM is a different brand but the same frequency and capacity. I can try updating BIOS to 1.70 and if that works I will let you know.

0 Likes

It seems that I cannot update BIOS, as there is no flashback button on the board, and I cannot boot into BIOS normally either. If there is another way, I would love to know.

0 Likes

So you are saying that the Motherboard BIOS Chip has version P1.50? 

Did you post the correct ASRock Motherboard because the image I showed you is from the model you posted. That page doesn't show any BIOS Version 1.50 or P1.50 which is why I am asking.

But then again since it is version 1.50 which is between versions 1.40 and 1.70 it might be an unlisted BIOS from ASRock when the Motherboard was manufactured. But from everything I have seen the motherboard uses the latest BIOS Version at the time the motherboard was manufactured. So it should have had either BIOS Version 1.40 or 1.70 installed.

You also have one Stick of RAM of 16GB correct?

Okay your ASRock Motherboard supports the Ryzen 3600 processor. Have you tried installing the 3600 and see if it boots up on your ASRock Motherboard?

By the way, Some Monitors with some motherboards won't have video output during POST (When BIOS is booting up) except when Windows starts to load. Then you have Video Output from your GPU card.

I have a Asus Motherboard that I need to have in BIOS set to CSM Mode (Legacy Mode) to get video output during POST. But since I have Windows 11 I have BIOS set strictly in UEFI Mode (Secure Mode) and now I don't have video Output during POST only when Windows starts to load. I just keep an eye on my computer case HDD LED and make sure it is flickering constantly or staying on solid. That lets me know that the computer is booting into Windows.

But In UEFI Mode I do have video Output to my HDMI Samsung Smart 2K TV set. That is where I do all the BIOS Setting changes. I first disconnect my DP/HDMI Monitor and just leave the HDMI cable from my GPU card to my TV connected to get Video output.

With everything connected the CPU and RAM Trouble LED Lights stays on and there is no more HDD LED activity on your computer case HDD LED Light?  In another words, The computer case HDD LED Light is not flickering or staying on constantly even though you have no video output when it is booting up?

Since the CPU and RAM Trouble LED light are on and the booting process stops then the problem is either with your CPU, RAM, or Motherboard.

By installing the Ryzen 3600 in the ASRock Motherboard and it boots into Windows even though there might not be any video output then, at least, that will tell you that the Ryzen 3700X is probably defective.

I wouldn't install the 3700x on your 300 series motherboard even though it does show that it supports it. I have read here at AMD Forums that some Users have had issues with 3000 series processors on 300 Series Motherboards including not booting up.

Does the exact same thing happen with the 3600 processor installed in your ASRock Motherboard?

if it does then I suggest you open a ASRock Support Ticket under Warranty and see if it needs to be RMAed to be checked by ASRock.

AS for updating your BIOS there really is no way of doing that without installing a Processor that will allow you to enter BIOS to update it. Your Manual only mentions to use Instant Flash to update the BIOS but you need to have access to BIOS to do that.

But since you can't enter BIOS the most important thing you need to do is to try to be able to see and enter BIOS. The way to do that is what you are doing now. Using different parts to try and boot into BIOS. 

NOTE: One thing I forgot to mention. Make sure all your Motherboard/PSU Power cables are installed. Especially the 6 or 8 pin Aux PWR cable. Sometimes it is called the CPU Aux. Power connector. The computer won't boot up if you don't have the 6 or 8 pin power cable connected to your motherboard.

I also noticed  from your manual that the Motherboard only has one TROUBLE RED LED light or 4 RED TROUBLE LED Lights to let you know which Hardware is failing?.

Screenshot 2022-02-19 231725.pngScreenshot 2022-02-20 021341.png

0 Likes

Sorry for the long detailed replies. I am just trying to cover all the bases for the PC not booting up.

But personally it beginning to sound like you have either a defective Motherboard or RAM if either the 3600 nor the 3700x boots up.

Or a defective 3700x if the PC boots with the 3600 processor.

EDIT: Another way to verify which Hardware is having problems that prevent the PC from booting is by listening to the PC BEEPS sequence.

Normally it will have one short BEEP when everything checks good. But if a hardware fails the BIOS test it will have a certain BEEPING Sequence to let you know which hardware failed the BIOS Test.

If you don't have a PC Speaker you can purchase a cheap PC speaker and connect it to your Speaker port on your motherboard. It should be in the same area as your Power/Reset/HDD Pins port is located.

Screenshot 2022-02-19 231725.png

No problem with the long replies, and after double checking the board, it says "Asrock B550M Pro4 Rev. 1.01" next to the socket. I have 4 sticks of 8Gb RAM, 2 from Crucial and 2 from XPG, all 4 at 3000MHz and all CL 16. I have tried using both CPUs in both motherboards and have gotten the same results, no boot, and both on the B550 return a DRAM and CPU debug LED. There is no video output for any of these, and I don't think the motherboard is defective, as its brand new, I only bought it because I thought the ASUS board was fried somehow. I have triple checked all of my PSU connections and even tried multiple different units with the same result. The only thing that I can come to at this point is: all 4 sticks of RAM are somehow all bad or, the motherboard is somehow bad even though it is brand new. I can send the motherboard back to Asrock and have them check it out, but I might end up calling someone who has the skills and utilities to test each and every part I have until we find the defective piece(s).

0 Likes

Your first problem is that you can't be mixing two different types of RAM Memories on the same motherboard when using Ryzen processors. They are, let us say, very sensitive to the type of RAM that is used.

When you purchase and use RAM you should use complete sets of RAM when installing more than one Stick of  RAM on your motherboard. That way you are certain all the RAM sticks are compatible with each other and the motherboard.

Just for troubleshooting purposes just install one RAM stick that is listed on the QVL List either from ASRock or from the RAM manufacturer.

See if it boots with just one stick installed on A2. Sometimes if RAM is not compatible 100% it might not boot up with 2 or more sticks but will boot with just one stick installed.

If you used one stick of RAM with all 4 Ram sticks with the same issue than it is either a defective Motherboard or CPU unless both CPU's doesn't boot up with one stick of RAM than it would seem to be the Motherboard.

Getting a DOA Motherboard is nothing rare. But you first need to eliminate all other hardware.

I would open a ASRock ticket and see what they say and if they believe your Motherboard needs to be RMAed to be checked.

If you have incompatible RAM or defective RAM can cause the PC not to boot up.

Same if you have a defective CPU. But if both CPUs doesn't boot up on the ASRock, I would believe that would eliminate the CPUs from the issue. I would believe that at least the 3600 would boot up.

NOTE: It is strange that both the CPU and RAM Trouble LED are on at the same time. If the CPU was defective it could cause the RAM to not work thus the RAM LET would light up. But generally only one Trouble LED should be lit not both.

You can also open a thread at ASRock forum and see if anyone else is having a similar issue but after you open a ASRock Support ticket.

Got to agree with elstaci.

Mixed brand system RAM even if the speed latency times and voltage match has never worked out well. You will get a no POST that's your system protecting itself.

What you have sounds like a hardware conflict.

Hardware conflicts are different than software conflicts. If your MOBO is working right it will not allow a full BOOT or power up in the case of a hardware conflict/issue.

Try only running 2 sticks of one brand of RAM and see if you get a post. Try out both brands separately. 

If that doesn't work try each stick individually you could have a DOA or a bad RAM stick. RAM is pretty cheap even good quality ram. Corsair makes great budget RAM in it's Vengeance line would suggest trying either 16GB or 32GB in (4x4) or (4x8) configuration so you get dual channel. 

As I have said before, I have tried every combination of RAM in each slot, including running only 1 DIMM in slot A2, and I got the same results.

0 Likes

Okay, You were a little general in what you did to troubleshooting which is why I was asking. Just to verify what you did specifically.

Please post back to see what ASRock Support says.

You can also open a AMD Service Request (AMD SUPPORT) concerning your processors to see what their opinion is from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

you need to to try one stick of ram if possible. no post is a common issue with a lot of new builds...zero the bios and start again

If you have changed everything including the motherboard your doing something wrong. Strip the lot down.

test each component in a different pc, if you can. And swap your DP or Hdmi cable. you sure the case connections are ok, and you have jumpers in the correct place

theres a lot of info in this post...cant all be wrong

0 Likes

@AkaanduWhere are you bought second hand CPU?

Did you asked for test before buying? If not you might killed your motherboard or other components.

I recommend you to bring your hardware to service center for full diagnostic.

PS. I have B550M Pro4, as I know there was many defected usb type c but nothing like with your problem. It support all 3000 cpu's from factory because it developed for zen 2 specifically.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

With a no post problem, stripping down your system to the basics of what it needs to post is the best way to isolate the problem.  It could be a bad PSU, a bad motherboard, a bad video card, a bad video cable, a bad stick of RAM, and yes, a bad CPU.  It sounds like you have been swapping out components quite a bit.  

I also recommend taking the motherboard out of the case, as there is a possibility of something shorting underneath the motherboard.  Perhaps the standoffs that the motherboard mounts to are too short and thus are allowing the motherboard to touch parts of the case underneath.  Build your system on top of the motherboard box to support the components.  Use an air cooler for the CPU.  Go to the basics to see if you can get a successful boot.  Be sure to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard and short the pins to clear the CMOS.  Then re-insert the battery.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

I have seen many poor customer reviews on MOBO's of all brands with B450 and B550 chipsets. Even online video test reviews confirm hardware compatibility issues with these boards. 

The issues they encountered are almost always hardware related.

If you do return the board I would suggest an X570 MOBO. I know they are a little more pricey but I have seen X570 MOBO's at nearly the same cost as B550s and that's full ATX not mini or micro.

Still I think the board is grounding/shorting out somewhere.

Wait the dustcover backplate that sets around your MOBOs USB audio ethernet display ports. Try removing that. I had a problem on a past build where it would make contact with the MOBO it I would get a constant no post or the PC would power up and immediately shut down. It was an older Gigabyte 870 series MOBO. Once I removed that aluminum dust cover the problem went away.  

0 Likes

I removed the dust shield, and got the same results. I tried powering on with just the CPU, on an insulated surface, without the shield, and the same thing happened. Still DRAM and CPU LEDs. If there is a short somewhere on the board, its really **bleep** small and I cannot find it. The only thing I did notice was that the second PCIe 16x slot can only run at 4x speeds because of the connections on the back, but that's it. If I can't get a fix on the Asrock forums, I will return the motherboard and get the X570, as a full ATX board might come in handy later.