Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

saga3475
Adept II

No Dual Channel Mode possible, only Single Channel

Hello

i have following issue:i tried to setup 2 8GB Gskill Flare X 2400 DDR4 Ram Moduls into an Asus Prime B350M-A Board. I looked into the Manual which explains to put the Moduls to Dimm Socket A2 and Dimm Socket B2 to use Dual Channel Mode.

After i did this i restart but the computer didn t restart.

only when i put the moduls in socket A1 and A2 then computer starts. in cpu-z it showed single channel mode. but i have dual channel mode rams and i want to use it in dual channel.

i looked into the bios but i am not knowing how to fix it

my current system:

Amd Ryzen 5 1600 6c/12

Asus Prime B350M-A Bios 5406

Gskill Flare X 16GB Kit DDR4-2400 (2x8GB Moduls)

how can i set it up to dual channel mode?

Thanks

Bye

Saga

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello all,

purchased another Mainboard with a B450 chipset. i put it together with the 1600er Ryzen 5 and 2 moduls 8GB Hyper X Predator 2666 and the computer is working with it now. so dual channel mode is now working and i am totally happy.

no failures at all right now.

so the cpu was not defective it was probably the mainboard. the ram is qualified in asus list and it runs perfect now.

its a Asus Prime B450-Plus Bios Vers. 2202 AGESA Combo-Am4 1.0.0.6 07/14/2020

i hope this will help others facing the same problems.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Can you post your G-Skill Flare-X Part number to see if it is listed in your motherboard's QVL List and to verify it is Dual Channel RAM.

0 Likes

hi,

the memory is not on the list, but it always worked. not anymore after renovation. have tried crucial 4 GB memory. with dimm socket 1 and 2 it works but with dimm socket 3 and 4 it does not work.
I have changed the processor and have ryzen 3 1200s - but the same problem.
I still have more memory and have gskill aegis 3000 that didn't work with dimm socket 3 and 4 either.

I guess the mainboard is broken. Memory banks 3 and 4 defective.

i don t have another mainboard with 4 dimm sockets so i would check another board

0 Likes

Seems like the Motherboard is defective.

Have you tried just one RAM stick in A2 or B2 to see if it is recognized?

Does your computer boot up if you install RAM memory in A2 or B2?

If one RAM Stick is recognized on A2 or B2 and showing the correct amount of RAM installed, then it probably is incompatible RAM issue.

If it does try running MEMTEST86 and see if it is recognized or shows a huge amount of errors in A2 or B2 or both.

I was able to detect a bad DIMM Slot on my old Motherboard when I ran MEMTEST86 on different DIMM Slots using one good RAM Stick as a tester. On three it showed fine without errors but on one MEMTEST86 would freeze up and I needed to reboot.

0 Likes

hi

i ve checked every dimm socket and i checked with different modul.

its only dimm 3 and 4 which are not working anymore.

if i put dimm in socket a1 and a2 the system is starting. but if i put dimm moduls in b1 and b2 its not starting.

then i put only one in a dimm and checked every dimm socket with only one modul. and only a1 and a2 are working.

seems like its has something to do with the 3. and 4. dimm socket

0 Likes

If it still under Warranty than better RMA the Motherboard.

For Dual Channel to work on your motherboard DIMM Slots A1&B1 and A2&B2 most be populated otherwise it will work as a single channel RAM stick.

0 Likes

it has nothing to do with the mainboard because i switched the board now. it has only two dimm sockets. but there is the same problem. i can only run one modul 8GB Ram.

i think its the cpu - ryzen has problems with dual modus and ram. i only have 2400er ram so i thought it would work. but nope.

as i had a athlon x4 950 2 moduls worked fine.

everything was fine but i wantet a ryzen that was a bad decision.

0 Likes

Okay if another processor was installed and the DIMM slots work than it most likely it is a defective CPU.

If the Ryzen is less than 3 year old you can still have it replaced by AMD Warranty if you are the original Owner and it is a Retail Processor and you still have the Retailer's official Receipt.

You can open a AMD Warranty from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

0 Likes

Hello elstaci,

i exchanged the processor and put a Ryzen 3 1200 in the board and tested all ram moduls i had. without any error! the system is starting without any failures.

the processor has a bent pin. so it is probably defective. Unfortunately, I bought it used. so i have no guarantee.  I am not the first owner either.

unfortunately it is very small. i can see it badly. do you mean it can be repaired again?

0 Likes

Bent pins can be straightened out very carefully and it should work.

Go to YouTube and search on how to straighten out bent pins on a processor. There will be several videos on how to do it correctly without breaking the pin.

Depending on the pin, if it breaks, the processor may still work normally since many pins are redundant like the ground pins on the processor.

The bent pin may have be shorting out against another pin while installed on the CPU Socket of the motherboard.

Either way,

Good luck

EDIT: Even if you are the original Owner and you have a bent/broken pin on the processor, that would automatically void AMD's 3 year Warranty anyways.

0 Likes

Hello again,

i repaired the pin. installed it on the socket on the mainboard and installed the rams. same issue happened.

so it has nothing to do with the pin i guess.

maybe its about incompatible ram? or is this really a defective cpu?

is there anybody out there facing the same problems?

0 Likes

Since you replaced the Motherboard and still has the same issue than most likely it is the CPU that is defective.

Best way to eliminate the CPU is by installing it on another compatible Motherboard and see if Dual Channel is recognized. Or install a different CPU on your current Motherboard and and see if Dual Channels work.

If possible maybe you can burrow a CPU from a friend or family to test your motherboard.

You can open a AMD Warranty Request from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

If you CPU is still under 3 years since you last purchase it, AMD Warranty is still in effect.

0 Likes

Hello,

no i have nobody who can burrow me another cpu. we have still lockdown here every computer hardware shops are closed. nobody is around i only can online buying new motherboard. i purchased another ram (hyper x predator 16gb 2666) who is listet in the qualified list from asus prime b350 but i faced the same issue. no dual channel mode. but i think i ve gone a long way with this amd ryzens.

i do not have the money to buy another hardware all the time and the cpus are almost 3 or 4 yrs old and i do not have warranty at all.

i think i will buy another platform and hope i will no longer have such issues like that. of course i ll buy complete other bundle (board, cpu, rams) 

Hello all,

purchased another Mainboard with a B450 chipset. i put it together with the 1600er Ryzen 5 and 2 moduls 8GB Hyper X Predator 2666 and the computer is working with it now. so dual channel mode is now working and i am totally happy.

no failures at all right now.

so the cpu was not defective it was probably the mainboard. the ram is qualified in asus list and it runs perfect now.

its a Asus Prime B450-Plus Bios Vers. 2202 AGESA Combo-Am4 1.0.0.6 07/14/2020

i hope this will help others facing the same problems.

It is hard to believe you went through two defective Motherboards.

You mentioned that you installed the Ryzen on a different Motherboard (2 DIMM Slot instead of 4) with the same exact problem which suggested that the CPU was defective.  Which through me off.

Now you again got another new Motherboard and everything is working. Really strange.

Anyways you might as well marked you last reply as "Solution" since it fixed your issue and to let other Users know what you needed to do.

Good troubleshooting and take care.

yes i have 2 motherboards with chipset a320 (which has only two dimm sockets) and the other one is a b350 (which has 4 dimm sockets) but they both had problems with the rams and the ryzen 5 1600.

now i bought a prime b450-plus (4 dimm sockets) and the dual channel mode with the hyper x 16gb 2666mhz and the ryzen 5 1600 is working without any failures. i am writing this with this system now. and i am online since a couple of hours including gaming and other things like surfing, video watching - no freezes or crushes. its working perfect.

. maybe its a limitation from the 300er chipsets. while b450 is working well. the ryzen 5 1600 is not defective. i am so glad.

maybe it had something to do with the chipsets of the two 300er chipsets boards (while a limitation ? ). idk.

but i am glad to switch the board to one with b450 chipset. first i thought to buy one with x370 but instead i go buy this b450 and that was maybe the best choice.

so to all others having the same issues: make sure u checked the dimms in the qualified lists from the motherboards manufactory. (in my case asus). I recommend using RAM that the processor also supports, such as the ryzen 5 1600 dimms to 2666 or ryzen 5 2600 2999 and so on. I think then you don't have to worry, because I find the oc rather unnecessary because in my opinion that doesn't really matter that much speed.

huh?

0 Likes