cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

New gaming computer (Ryzen 5600x, RX 6800xt, Asus TUF x570+wifi) Amazon Prime crashes computer

So I just built this computer (Asus TUF x570+wifi, 32gb DDR4 3200 Ram, Ryzen 5600x, Radeon RX 6800 Xt). All drivers are up-to-date, I've benchmarked it for several hours, played games on in for several hours; no problems.

I go and try to play a video on Amazon Prime (latest Star Trek Discovery episode) and it crashes my computer, just instant power cycle. I get a kernel error 41, and a WHEA-18 error Reported by component: Processor Core, Error Source: machine Check Exception, type: Bus/Interconnect Error APIC ID: 0 

Any clue as to what's going on, neither AMD nor Asus seem to know....

0 Likes
13 Replies

It may be that a future driver update will fix this. For the time being in your browser settings disable hardware acceleration and see if that helps things!

In Radeon Settings there is a Bug Report tool too you can submit the issue or

You can contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. This html based posting system sucks and has deleted my response four times now. I attempted disabling the hardware acceleration and it only served to hasten the crash after attempted playback. I'm just trying to make sure it isn't hardware failure rather than a software, driver, or bios issue.

0 Likes

@pokester wrote:

It may be that a future driver update will fix this. For the time being in your browser settings disable hardware acceleration and see if that helps things!

In Radeon Settings there is a Bug Report tool too you can submit the issue or

You can contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

There is a new driver out today! Try installing the new 20.11.3 driver with the Factory Reset option and see if there is any improvement.

If not make sure to fill out the Bug Report in Radeon Settings or

let AMD support know about it here:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

Thank you for your reply. I already did this at the direction of AMD's tech support. Unfortunately it did not resolve the issue. I attempted to locate the bug report option in the software, it is seemingly unavailable to me or isn't enabled for some reason. I also used AMD's supplied chipset update rather than Asus's chipset drivers. I guess I'll have to wait for further updates. 

0 Likes

You are welcome! So sorry that didn't help.

That bug report tool can be tricky to find. 

This FAQ page shows where and how to use it. Hope it helps!

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdbrt

Good Luck!

0 Likes

Thanks again, wasn't aware it was under the cog. I should have, I'm a computer geek, but sometimes when you're frustrated trying to troubleshoot a bug it doesn't always click to look there. I was going over everything from; is my new power supply bad, why didn't this happen during my benchmarking and gaming, why is it only Amazon Prime and not Netflix, Youtube, or Hulu? Why is it kicking this WHEA, why is ASUS support such crap? I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this. 

0 Likes

No you are not. That Whea error can be a lot of things as it is a very generic error. However we have been seeing a lot of them here, since the bios microcode leading up to the Zen 3 launch started rolling out since late summer. So I really think that it will take a bios update to fix it. Make sure to talk to your motherboard maker about those issues to. They often will let you try a beta bios not posted yet. 

AMD has been having problems with hardware acceleration in browsers for a couple years now. I don't know if that is your problem but is a common issue. Also many report they don't have the problem in Firefox just the chromium based browsers.

Good Luck!

0 Likes

Thanks I'll try Firefox once I get home and test it if it's a chromium issue then I'll have a talk with Asus about it. 

0 Likes

No problem. I am not implying it is chromium at fault either just that it seems to be a conflict between AMD drivers and Chromium. Not sure if either or neither is to blame. Definitely worth trying Firefox or disabling HW acceleration in the other browser. 

0 Likes
saywhut
Challenger

What @pokester said and make sure you're not using the beta driver, make sure it's the latest stable one.

mackbolan777
Forerunner

See if you have BIOS 2802, if yours is newer, try using 2802. The newer BIOS's are Beta and have been shown to cause these sudden power issues on the 5000 series CPU's. In fact, the "patch C" BIOS in general seems to be an issue with most boards.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Ironically I just went to the bios you said to drop and it solved the issue for me. Not sure why others are having issues with it. 

0 Likes
confusedashell
Journeyman III

Same error im getting when i try to play games, getting fraustrated now. Is yours fixed now?

0 Likes