New Build Crashing

Specs

Ryzen 5 3600X - stock cooler

Asus Strix X570-I

2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHz

Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti

970 EVO m.2 & an 860 EVO SSD

Corsair SF450 450 watt PSU

Runs absolutely fine, temperatures look good, no other problems other than crashing randomly

It doesn't BSOD though, it just locks up and won't let you don't anything, even all the info on HWMonitor completely freezes, & it does it completely randomly and only after hours of it being on

When I go into the event viewer & find the crash event all it says is that the CPU lost power & the system restarted, but the actual event isn't logged because obviously, how could it? But it doesn't make sense to me because if it lost power, why do I still have a screen?? Wouldn't it BSOD or just flat out turn off??

I should mention before anything that it's hooked up with an HDMI to a Smart TV, if anybody thinks that could be an issue, as someone mentioned to me before that maybe some of the postprocessing features on the TV could be the reason, but I've looked & they're turned off by default when I input to the PC's HDMI port. Also just to throw it in, I have tried it in a different outlet..

So far the things I've tried:

Messing with CPU power settings (I was using a different processor at the time & I was suspicious that it was unstable)

Eventually replaced that CPU with the 3600X & the GPU, didn't work, still crashes

I ran a MEM86TEST for like 8 hours suspicious that the memory was bad, nope, memory is fine, still crashes

I downclocked said memory, thinking that maybe it was the D.O.C.P. profile on the memory causing issues, nope, still crashes

I installed the newest BIOS versions & chipset driver, still crashes

Installed newest GPU driver

I turned off the PBO [precision boost overdrive] hoping that it was the core clock boost that's by default turned on that's causing issues, nope still crashes

I replaced the CPU power cable thinking that maybe it's building up resistance in the cable & eventually crashing, nope didn't work

At this point I think it's either a bad PSU or something PSU related

Or it's a motherboard/compatability issue and I just don't even know anymore

Not sure where to even go from here, I'm about to start replacing hardware

HELP

0 Likes
8 Replies

0 Likes

Do you think so? I've checked on multiple wattage calculator websites and they ALL say I don't even need 450

But yeah, I was kinda starting to think the same thing

0 Likes

Screenshot_5.png

They recommend a 450watt for the whole system...on some charts. And that means a quality PS (as you have) and one that's not 10 years old. They all deteriorate.

Anyhow the symptoms are there...a 650watt would future proof your computer

Thankfully....BLACK FRIDAY is upon us...you can get a good deal.

0 Likes
kroms
Adept III

I 100% Agree with KingFish.

Your Corsair SF450 450 watt PSU  or ANY   450 Watt  PSU is not going to cut it.

Sorry but no way.   

Get a 700 or 750  something like this  https://www.newegg.ca/seasonic-focus-750-gold-ssr-750fm-750w/p/N82E16817151201

For $139 CAD  it is a solid PSU and I highly recommend the brand but any  reputable one will do. 

0 Likes
smircopus
Adept I

Check Windows power settings. It should be set to "High Performance." Mine was set to "Balanced" and I couldn't play a game for 10 minutes without it crashing.

Run OCCT PSU Stress test and see if it shuts down during the Stress test. If it does and nothing is overheating then is a good indicator your PSU under heavy loads is crashing.

Check the PSU Outputs while stressing it. The 12/5.0/3.3 Vdc should all be within 5% tolerance during the stress test. If the 12v (11.4 Vdc) or 5v (4.75 Vdc) goes below 5% than that means your PSU can't supply enough power under stressful conditions.

According to a PSU website for Minimum Recommended PSU for various GPU cards, for the GTX1660 ti you need a minimum PSU wattage of 430 watts plus with a Ryzen 3600X processor that can use over 200 -300 watts under loads might cause the PSU to provide under power outputs.

Note: Might as well also run the CPU and GPU tests just to check those out.

sailorx
Adept II

Your PSU is being overworked.  Fans take power SSD take power people seem not factor this in power useage.    I suggest 600 watt min PSU a system like that.  700-800 watt if want future proof your system upgrade.

0 Likes