cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

0nlythebest
Adept II

New build crashing on me and blue screens ryzen 5 3600 + 5700xt

Hello everyone basically i did my first ever build just over a week ago and its been giving me blue screen crashes and random power offs like someone pulled the plug then it immediately restarts. the blue screen (video_tdr_failure) is code 117 from the reliability center. the power offs are code 141 (live kernel event) and it says hardware failure for both of them. There are also some critical errors saying windows has stopped working correctly. 

All build parts are from local microcenter, except the mobo is from a reputable ebay seller with good reviews.

Gigabyte B450 Auros Pro Wifi Mobo

Ryzen 5 3600 stock wraith cooler

Powercolor red dragon radeon 5700xt

Gskill ripjaws V 2x8gb 3600mhz. (on xmp profile)

Powerspec 650w 80+ gold psu

256 gb inland premium m.2 nvme SSd

2tb seagate barracuda HDD

Fractal design meshify C case

I

So in the last week or so its restarted randomly here and there. I did 5 hours of warzone one time and it was fine.. then I did 1 hour and it restarted. its like if someone just pulled the plug out the wall then put it back in. On top of that it had blue screened on me two or three times only while using google chrome but since i turned off hardware acceleration in google chrome it hasnt blue screened on me since (3 days now).

I ran memtest64 multiple times. Heavens benchmark multiple times. Cinebench multiple times. Aida 64 multiple times. It never once restarted or blue screened during any of these benchmarks and all temps and performance was normal.

I also had the pc plugged into a powerbrick along with monitor. i moved it to being directly into the wall. I also was told to put my pc into best performance mode. I have done both of these now and will run more tests today and play a lot of games tonight. I recently found out about occt. I downloaded that and ran all of its tests too. It passed all of them except one. It would crash on the VRAM test for my gpu. quite often too. not everytime, but relatively often. this was all things I did in the past couple days.

All of my temps for everything are totally fine also. I watch them with msi afterburner. and nothing is overclocked. I also reinstalled amd gpu drivers once already. but I didnt use ddu, i just heard of that recently. Ill try that again too the correct way i guess.

today I received a psu tester off amazon. this one > https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_0/145-...

I took out my psu and hooked it up. Everything seems fine! all the voltages lined up with what it said it should be on the tester. all green lights and no beeping. which its supposed to do when something is wrong. So Im really leaning towards my gpu itself being bad, vram specifically i think.   or im having bad luck with amd drivers. it could also be an issue with windows ?  since i unplugged all the power supply cowards to test it and replugged them I also took out my gpu main red wire from the psu and replaced it with the other one they gave me in the packaging. Ive ran more tests today and even the vram one it hasnt crashed on yet. But im not sold. i think it will still crash by the end of the day. What else should I be looking at here? im kind of desperate at this point. lmk if u need any more info.

Ive seen two or three other people having issues very similar to this they could use the help too! I would really appreciate any input guys.

9 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

Run Windows update.

Then.

Right-click on Start and then select Command Prompt (Admin). 

Type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, and then press Enter. This will fix any corruptions that it finds. 

Type SFC /Scannow  on the prompt, and then press Enter. This scan will repair system files. 

Reinstall graphics drivers with factory reset.

If none of that helps post the memory dump and we can try looking at the error.

windows is up to date. I will try the restore health thanks. and sfc scan. Also when u say reinstall gpu drivers with factory reset do u mean to factory reset the whole pc then install the gpu drivers?

0 Likes

I found an old nvidia gefore 630 laying around just for testing purposes i threw it in and i havent had a crash yet. So im still leaning towards this 5700xt being faulty. but Will mess with it a bit more before rma it. could still be driver or windows issue. 

Many are saying the 20.5.1 GPU driver is better. If you have not used it yet you might want to give it a go. When you install it use the "clean install" option. 

0 Likes

ive started on 20.22 or whatever the one before 20.4 was, then moved to 20.4, then tried 20.5, then went to 19.12.1, then back to 20.5, they all crashed except 19.12.1, but that one i couldnt play COD on ... lol 

I would report exactly that to AMD:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
0nlythebest
Adept II

So I rolled back to 19.12.1 for like 2 days and had no issues.. everything was good. but then i couldnt play COD.... it just wouldnt launch. would take me back to desktop everytime.. which is like the main reason i got this computer... so that wont work. I went back to 20.5.1 and it was good for like 1.5 days or so then yesterday it randomly restarted on me.  but the good news is it hasnt BSOD on me in a while. not sure if its completley gone tho. I just did the factory reset clean install, I also ran the sfcscannow and the restore health which came back with no issues. Im ready to rma this card... 

0nlythebest
Adept II

I was told by someone on reddit to run memtest86, so im doing that now, it ran good for an hour no issues. 

christiang
Adept III

Did you fix it?

0 Likes