cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

bissag
Adept I

new build 7800X3D / system.exe CPU usage

Hello, I built new system with 78003X3D / Gigabyte Aero B650 / 64GB Gskill 6000 RAM

I installed Windows 11, applied all updates and installed latest drivers.

I noticed system.exe is always using CPU usage between 2% and 5%

on my other systems system.exe CPU usage always settle at 0.1% ~ 0.2%

I tried windows 10 and same, I also tried another motherboard X670e Aorus pro x and the same.

Is that normal for the Am5 systems that system.exe always use over 2% CPU usage ?

4 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That's a good question.  I've built a few AM5 systems and I had not noticed System.exe using between 2-5% of the CPU.  Right now, I'm using 0.7 to 1.4% of the CPU on an AMD 7900X CPU system.  I wonder if the X3D CPUs have a greater usage on system.exe?  I am running Windows 11 Home version.

In any case, using up to 5% of the CPU shouldn't be too much of an impact on your CPU resources.  Perhaps you have a few extra processes running in the background?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
bissag
Adept I

So the problem was from the PCIE SATA Expansion Card 2 Port SATA PCIE Card.

I removed the PCIE card and now the CPU usage is normal.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Glad you identified the problem, probably by removing devices one at a time.  This is an example of why we ask people to tell us about all the components installed into their system.  We couldn't have even guessed that you had a PCIe SATA expansion card in use.  

So, are you going to reinstall the expansion card?  You must have been using it for a reason......

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
bissag
Adept I

I needed the extra sata ports but at the moment I am not using it.

May be I will try different controller later.