Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Yabino
Adept I

New 7950X build randomly doesn't post

Hi guys,

I got a new build in february last year, so almost one year ago to finally start doing music seriously with it. Problem is, it randomly doesn't post.

I then have to push the reset button for it to work, but often on first try it fails.

And worse, sometimes I have to reset the CMOS, pushing the button behind the motherboard, or it will not start anymore even after pushing reset.

Here is the build:

• AMD Ryzen 7950X
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero (BIOS 1807)
  • G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 48GB DDR5-6000
  • AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
  • 1 SSD M.2 CRUCIAL T700 1TB PCIe 5.0 with Windows 11 Pro as boot drive
  • 3 SSD M.2 WD Black SN850X 4TB PCIe 4.0 in RAID 0 mode as main drive for the sample libraries

But when it posts, it works flawlessly. Read no crashes or else due to hardware malfunctions.

Before you ask, doesn't matter if in the BIOS all is set to AUTO or use the AI mode for the CPU performance boost.

Also, if the memory is set the EXPO modes and works at 6000 or 5200 or 5600 (automatic target), doesn't change anything. Just at 6000 it could come faster to the "doesn't boot anymore before I reset the CMOS setup".

Hope you could help, have a nice evening,

Julien

ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero - Ryzen 9 7950X - 48GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo - Radeon RX 7900 XT
0 Likes
1 Solution
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi there,

Firstly, you have a super amazing board and a 7 segment display that should throw out an error code. Look for it in the board manual, it may give you the solution.

Secondly, if the error code is ram related, or even if it isn't. I would disable completely "Memory Context Restore" so it trains the memory at each boot. Also make sure its well seated and in the correct slots.
To conclude ram troubleshooting, try using it without EXPO if you haven't already.

Then go on from here, if is a GPU error, remove the card and try booting with the iGPU to clear the graphics card responsibility.

And if its a CPU error, try it in another system or RMA the part. You can use Eco Mode to step it down a notch, but I'm afraid that wouldn't be an issue at boot unless you have a very very very weak PSU.

The board should be the last to troubleshoot.

PS: You haven't told us your PSU. With that rig, 1000Watt is almost necessary. The CPU alone can peak at 240Watts in certain circumstances. At least mine does.

The Englishman

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi there,

Firstly, you have a super amazing board and a 7 segment display that should throw out an error code. Look for it in the board manual, it may give you the solution.

Secondly, if the error code is ram related, or even if it isn't. I would disable completely "Memory Context Restore" so it trains the memory at each boot. Also make sure its well seated and in the correct slots.
To conclude ram troubleshooting, try using it without EXPO if you haven't already.

Then go on from here, if is a GPU error, remove the card and try booting with the iGPU to clear the graphics card responsibility.

And if its a CPU error, try it in another system or RMA the part. You can use Eco Mode to step it down a notch, but I'm afraid that wouldn't be an issue at boot unless you have a very very very weak PSU.

The board should be the last to troubleshoot.

PS: You haven't told us your PSU. With that rig, 1000Watt is almost necessary. The CPU alone can peak at 240Watts in certain circumstances. At least mine does.

The Englishman
0 Likes

Yes I have a 1000 Watts PSU. The computer was assembled by MIFCOM, a well known custom PC builder in Germany.

I changed the memory and added more SSDs. At first it was a 32GB DDR5-6000 build with only one SSD WD Black SN850X 4TB.

So I didn't had to deal with RAID configuration, and non-binary DDR5 memory.

Well, I did some tweaks and now it boots properly everytime:

• Set the memory on EXPO I mode
  • Set eCLK on Synchronous
  • Set FCLK on 2000 MHz
  • Set CPU Core Ratio on CPU Core Ratio
  • Disabled High DRAM Voltage
  • Disabled Memory Context Restore
  • Disabled Fast Boot
  • Set Secure Boot on Windows UEFI

PXL_20240117_134956996.jpgPXL_20240117_135134501.jpg

Let's hope it stays like this. It takes 1 minute 6 seconds to boot, but I can live with it.

ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero - Ryzen 9 7950X - 48GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo - Radeon RX 7900 XT

Amazing and glad I could help.

Never stop tinkering, don't be afraid. There might be a way to reduce those boot times.

But for now, test it, test it and test it.

Later on, when you feel comfortable, enable Memory Context Restore and Memory Power Down. Some people are reporting a super snappy boot like under 10secs with no BSOD's. Unfortunately, my board does not want to cooperate. I have the RoG Strix X670E A and stuck at 21sec boot time.

Curve Optimizer and Offset undervolt is something that can help you boost the 7950X performance as well.

Good Luck!

The Englishman
0 Likes
Yabino
Adept I

Thanks for the reply. As of now all I need is a computer that boots everyday.

It's a good start haha!

0 Likes