cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

awb555
Adept II

My bios screen doesn’t appear on my monitor

I was cleaning out my computer taking every piece out and putting them back in. When I started the computer back up it no longer showed the bootup screen on my monitor only on my TV. Which isn’t that big of a deal however I cannot view my bios either.  Same goes for safe mode. 
I even tried unplugging the TV from the tower which didn’t help. I’ve cleaned out my tower before and this didn’t happen
Any help would be appreciated!
0 Likes
9 Replies

Did you plug the displays back into the same ports?

0 Likes

black_zion wrote:

Did you plug the displays back into the same ports?

Yes and no. At first yes of course.  I tried putting the monitor in a different port which did nothing 

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

Windows 10 does some weird things with Display Arrangement and Numbering.

For example, my Drawing Tablet with Display has somehow been set as Display 1 by Windows 10... this has ended up meaning that all Apps, the BIOS, etc. all display / start on there.

And obviously when I'm not using it, typically I'll have it in Stand-By Mode., so I have to keep turning the bloody thing on each time I say open Radeon Settings.

Now in Windows 7 / 8., and even the Early Windows 10 Releases... you had the option to manually set which Display was which; so you could say... "My TV is Display 1., my Secondary Screen is Display 2., my Tablet Display is Display 3...", etc.

And yeah then you'd set which Windows used as the "Main" Display for then Extending or Cloning. 

But somewhere along the way Microsoft changed this, and now you're basically set with whatever the heck Windows decides is the ordering.

And worse still is it doesn't actually seem to be based upon the order you've plugged them in, or the Port, etc... then as Windows 10 will "Edit" your BIOS because it's integrated into it; this also then affects that as well. 

Oh it's just a nightmare.

If you do figure out how this is set with the current Windows 10 release., I'd be seriously grateful, as even the Windows 10 Help refers to how Windows 10 *used* to work... but no longer does. So that's no dang help. 

0 Likes

I tried the select default monitor in the display settings Inside of windows.. You can probably guess how that went LOL

if I find a solution I’ll definitely post it on here!

0 Likes

I have a similar setup where I have my Monitor (DP Connected) and my Samsung Smart TV (HDMI Connected) and in Windows it show both together.

Monitor 1 is my monitor and Monitor 3 is my TV. I then have at the very bottom check marked "Makes this my Main Display" for Monitor 1 and "Duplicate" for Multi-Monitor setup:

If this is what you have done already then ignore this reply.

0 Likes

It says my default is the monitor. it won’t even let me put TV as the default but yet it only shows up on the TV (The bios and windows start spinning circle thing)

0 Likes

If you just connect the computer monitor and disconnect the TV does it work or have video during POST and into Windows with video?

Can you now make your monitor the "Main Display" in Windows Settings?

Can you disconnect the Monitor to a different Video Output on the GPU card?  Another words if your monitor is connected via HDMI can you connect it to a DP output port to see if you get video during POST.

How about if you connect the TV and disconnect the Monitor. Do you have video on POST?

Have you checked your Monitor's Settings to see if anything changed without your knowledge?

0 Likes

As noted., I have a similar issue and the problem arises from the Numbering that Windows 10 Automatically assigns to the Displays.

So for you... there likely is no issue as your "Main Display" has been assigned 1 and 3 (I'm assuming you're using 2 Inputs, say DisplayPort and Miracast)., where-as for me (and I'd wager awb555), it's assigning a different Display as 1 compared to the Main Display.

Now Microsoft themselves (in their Help) say "All you have to do is set the Display you want to use as the Primary, as 'Make this my main display" and this does kind of work.

It is where the Windows Desktop will primarily be sent to, and MOST Games will use that as the Default Display.

So I'd say once you're in Windows 10, it's rarely much of an issue.

Where it is an issue is with those Apps that regardless of what you do ALWAYS Default to Display 1 regardless of where you closed them or what is set as your Primary Display.

Radeon Settings (for example) has a habit of switching to this behaviour and getting stuck in it. 

Still the other key "problematic" one is the BIOS., because whatever Windows 10 decides is Display 1 is used as your Primary Monitor by the BIOS.

This for me is my Huion Kamvas 10 Tablet., which is connected exclusively via USB 3.1 to the Motherboard itself... as opposed to my Samsung Series-5 FHD WCG Monitor or Series-7 UHD HDR Smart TV (both of which are connected to my Graphics Card).

As such, if I want to do anything via the BIOS... I basically HAVE to switch on my Tablet, because it doesn't switch to my Smart TV (which I use as the Main Display) until Windows 10 has more-or-less reached the Log-In Screen.

It's only a few seconds, but obviously makes doing anything in the BIOS a bit awkward.

In fact I recall during the Insider Preview for 1H20., it had defaulted to my Dell WMR HMD... never even realised that's where it was sending the BIOS Display Image until I noticed it lighting up my desk where I'd left it following a crash.

Now Windows 10 (used) to allow you to Select the Display, and you could either go into "Advanced Settings" (a little triangle at the top of the Selected Display in the Displays Layout) or alternatively just drag-and-drop to reassign the Numbering Order. 

But this feature has since been removed (or hidden) for no apparent reason.

The last 2 years seem to have become quite bad for Companies actually listening or doing things that make sense from an End-User perspective... and a large part of this seems to stem from a lack of communication between the major Tech Companies. 

I mean FFS., look at HDR Support in Windows 10; this could all be resolved in a few months *IF* Microsoft, AMD and NVIDIA actually bloody talked to each other instead of doing their own thing. 

5-10 years ago, that's exactly what would've happened. They'd have got together and hashed out a "This is the Specification and Approach we can all agree on going forward..." but that's not what happens today., or if it is happening those liaison teams are shockingly bad at communication. 

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

If you just connect the computer monitor and disconnect the TV does it work or have video during POST and into Windows with video?

Can you now make your monitor the "Main Display" in Windows Settings?

Can you disconnect the Monitor to a different Video Output on the GPU card?  Another words if your monitor is connected via HDMI can you connect it to a DP output port to see if you get video during POST.

How about if you connect the TV and disconnect the Monitor. Do you have video on POST?

Have you checked your Monitor's Settings to see if anything changed without your knowledge?

1: Monitor is still blank even when disconnecting the TV

2: The monitor is set as default. Something else that is weird is it won’t let me make the TV the default but yet it only shows up on the TV
3: I have plugged in the monitor into a different port. I can’t really do you use a different cable because I don’t have any.

0 Likes