cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

My Amazing AMD Experience

So I'll start with my history using AMD products. I have worked as IT/Dev for a company that manages over 1700+ machines across the USA for almost a decade. During that time, I have bought, built, and recommended more servers, workstations, and personal computers than I can count. Our company mainly uses Linux on machines, and AMD has always seemed to be the way to go. My last 3 personal builds have been AMD CPU and AMD GPU computers.

Recently, I helped a friend build their first entry level gaming computer and of course I recommended AMD 5000 series and some AMD GPU's in their price range . While looking around at parts for them, I noticed the Ryzen 7 7800X3D, and I thought "I haven't upgraded my gaming computer in like 6-7 years. I should probably look at upgrading." Looked around and found that Newegg had a pretty good price, and it came with Starfield. I ordered the Ryzen 7 7800X3D, AM5 Motherboard, and DDR5, and looked forward to playing Starfield while I waited for the parts to come in.

Oh, how naive was I, My last AMD personal purchase was for a bundle that came with an AMD Vega 64, some ASrock motherboard, Ryzen 7 1700X, and 2 games, Wolfenstein II and Prey. Had to buy the bundle because it was back when the crypto miners were buying up all the GPU's and it was about the only way to get a Vega 64. I mention this only because I remember getting the Steam Key in an email and playing Wolfenstein while waiting for the parts to come in. Since that purchase, it looks like AMD has decided that their Steam Keys are more valuable than a good customer experience and possible even their own products. I got an email expecting a Steam Key, but instead got an email explaining to me that I received a coupon code that I can redeem on AMD website after I run software on my computer to verify I really purchased an AMD product and link my Steam account. So hopefully without getting into any non-productive internet debates, I don't like running proprietary software unless it is absolutely necessary nor do I like linking/bridging any information for any company must less AMD. First, I have no clue what that PVT actually does and AMD doesn't need my Steam information.

At this point, I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't going to get to play Starfield until the parts came in, and at the least I was going to have to throw an OS on the machine just to run the PVT then reinstall the OS just make sure there wasn't any lingering code. I really didn't want to link my Steam account either, so I might not even redeem the code. Then I thought "I can probably just contact AMD support, send them over the Newegg receipt to verify the purchase, and hopefully just give them the coupon code and they trade me the Steam Key." Nope, AMD couldn't make it that easy. I really have to give it to AMD they make it hard to even get in touch with their support much less actually get any assistance. After some digging, I found what I like to call company's "Prayer Form." It's the form you fill out and pray they email you back. Filled that out, and while I waited for a reply also found a phone number. I called the phone number and after making it through what I like the call the "Please Give up Filter" finally got to talk with a person. After quite a long discussion with the representative ultimately resulting in nothing, I was giving the impression that no one, ever, has had a problem with AMD and anything they have ever done, I was the problem in this equation, I should just trust AMD, and stop being "the friction" in this issue. The representative did mention that he couldn't help, and I should contact AMD Rewards Support. Don't worry though my "Prayer Form" was answered with the same response as the representative. 

I'm more disappointed and slight frustrated now, but also slightly more determined. I find the AMD Reward Support "Prayer Form", and give it a go. I do get the generic reply of needing to use the PVT program to verify I'm using a qualified product, and I reply with a bought a 7800X3D from Newegg.com and attached the receipt. Now I know some might be worried that AMD wouldn't reply, and that would be somewhat correct because any attachment I tried to send was getting kicked back by the google email scan feature. I did manage to reply with just that I bought it from Newegg.com, and the receipt attachment keeps getting kicked back. Now for AMD's reply to make sense, I need to clarify that I have access to several computers. A computer that I am going to wipe anyway I used to download the PVT program and ran the program on that computer because I wanted to see what it was doing. The reply I get is that the 1700X from that computer does not qualify. I would have never guessed that the 1700X which is 6+ years old now would qualify, but thanks for letting me know the PVT program links the information to my email. 

Here is the best part of the whole situation, it takes so long to not be helped by AMD support that the parts come in. I spend most of the day taking out the old parts, cleaning everything, and putting the new parts in. I click that power button, and doesn't boot. The motherboard tells me the CPU and DRAM are defective. I returned the motherboard, CPU and DDR5 RAM back and got a mostly refund. It's a good thing AMD didn't give me that Steam Key because now I don't own a Ryzen 7 7800X3D.

I have never considered myself an AMD fanboy, but I have recommended them in the past. I don't know if I will never recommend them, but I definitely will be less enthusiastic about it. I know that the last bad experience I had with support was with Amazon over $10 and I haven't used Amazon since. I can be a little petty because that was 4 years ago. I also convenience most of the people I know to stop using Amazon, as well as, stop sending any work recommendation as Amazon links. I go out of my way to find what I'm looking for somewhere else and send those links. I should probably work on that, but I'll probably give Intel, which is just as bad, some more recommendations.  I have to at least feel like I am sticking it to AMD a little bit. Got to get at least my moneys worth out of that shipping cost. 

TLDR: I spent I don't know how much in shipping cost to keep myself entertained for several days with AMD support. 

PS: On a more positive note, I had also bought a new AIO CPU cooler along with the other parts, and during this process the pump went out in my old AIO. So luckily I already had one. 

0 Likes
0 Replies