Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Throwaway44570
Journeyman III

Minor freezes on programs using 6800

Hello

I'm using a RX6800 that is only about 3 months old. I am on windows 10 with the latest updates and drivers.

I frequently have programs turn unresponsive at times, these instances are almost random and don't seem to be linked to anything in particular. One moment i'll have one tab open and be writing out a forum post and the next moment I need to wait for Vivaldi to respond, which takes a few seconds. I also have this issue with discord, which will stop responding one or twice every hour for a few seconds.

Steam is slightly different - as when i launch a game the steam launcher will sometimes stop responding for a few seconds and then launch the game as normal.

I did a full clean of my AMD drivers a month ago, including booting into safe mode and installing the drivers offline for a different problem which resulted in freezes on games I was playing due to a bad driver update from AMD. However this did not fix my above issue. I have the very latest recommended drivers now that I installed offline and remove with a special tool (as the AMD repair and install tools seem to do nothing at all to fix these problems).

I looked this up online and tried disabling hardware acceleration or it's equivalents across the below programs, this didn't seem to solve the issue. I do not know how many programs are affected by this but so far I've confirmed that these below programs get these small freezes with my card;

• Discord (turn off Hardware acceleration)
  • Vivaldi (same as above)
  • Google chrome (same as above)
  • Steam (switch to low performance mode)

AMD repair does not detect any issues. Windows does not detect any issues, several 3rd party devices have not detected any issues. Reinstalling drivers again does nothing, running every maintenance program I can find has found nothing.

I have created threads with microsoft, Vivaldi, Steam and Discord about this and all of them point it towards it being an 'unsupported GPU' issue.

I have also had occasional issues with the Radeon GUI not being booted on login, starting it manually works but it takes far longer than it should. I've checked my card physically and it has no signs of damage - it runs the games I play very well but these numerous niggles I need to go out of my way to research and fix are starting to get to me. I really don't understand what more I can do at this point apart from play Russian roulette when the next recommended update comes around to see if it makes things better or worse.

I appreciate you are providing this service AMD, but your drivers and service support is frustrating terrible and I frequently think about selling my card to a bitcoin miner in exchange for a Nvidia card instead. I don't feel like I'm really getting the quality of updates I should be getting for the prices you are charging for top end cards like this. Especially when the first update I installed for my card broke the GUI completely.

I previously had an RX480 and I am very much regretting buying into another long 4+ years of having an AMD card I have to constantly babysit, tweak and care for instead of actually enjoying it.

I don't know if this is a bug or not but the fact that every program that uses hardware acceleration has this problem is quite annoying. My RX480 never had this issue at all, so I can only assume it is a driver issue on AMD's end.

If anyone has any fix for this, i'd appreciate it. There hasn't been a recommended update since November of last year.

0 Replies