cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Intelligent standby list cleaner

May be of interest to some, https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/29/remove-stutter-in-windows-10-games-with-intelligent-standby-list-cleaner/

Official download and discussion https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1256

I gave it a try (manual).

Before pic is not mine (forgot to take one), but I had 8xxx mb standby, 

Mine after using the app,

This is current after switch on pc today (after some gameplay, browsing, etc...),

Have seen one post claim this is a windows bug (?) since build 1703 to current, as in not releasing the standby (could assume it should happen/clear/reduce at some level or pc start).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
9 Replies

Something I never thought about. Thought we were done with the RAM usage issue back with Windows XP...I'll update this thread later today after I restart, see what's using the most standby RAM (likely Windows).

https://windowsreport.com/standby-memory/

Before

After

Thanks! Never heard of this before. Have to add it to the digital tool bag!

0 Likes

Using RamMap (it's made by Microsoft), I looked at the file summary on this fresh boot, and not only are programs in there that I'm using, but pretty much every program and quite a number of files are using standby RAM, which indeed seems like a bug to me...

Been a few months since I checked this, had 11.9GB on standby.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I wonder why yours is so much more than mine? Haven't looked at it in 4 months either, and not even 3GB in standby yet. You using 1903?

Yep 1903.

You should run a series of benchmarks (Cinebench R20, Superposition, a game with an in-game benchmark) and see if there is any performance difference pre and post clearing.

0 Likes

I was getting some stutter/slowdown in a couple games, which is why I checked it.

After clearing, D2 for one was back to smooth.

Checked Rammap after a couple hours game, standby was back up to 7.8gb, mass amount of D2 files in the summary/details.

Left it alone and after restart pc today standby was down to 1.3gb.

Looks like my big gaming session (open world games), 3-4hrs in one then jump into another for a couple, then another for 2-3 without a break (pc shutdown/restart) caused the 11.9gb high(300mb free left).

Decided to look at mine again since it's been a couple of weeks since I upped my RAM to 32GB...Windows couldn't wait to throw all sorts of useless files in there to the tune of 21GB... Still, it's not TERRIBLE that Windows puts things in there since it's just preloading what it thinks you want for faster access since RAM is over 20x faster than even the fastest NVMe SSDs, but why Windows doesn't reserve a certain percentage to always keep free so it won't have to play catchup when it comes to using memory intensive programs, such as games, is beyond me. Guess Microsoft thought we needed a new Cortana instead of that.

0 Likes