cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel Kaby Lake and Skylake Processors Get Massive Price Cuts By Retailers Prior To AMD Ryzen Launch

Core i7 7700K For $299, Core i5 7600K For $199, Core i5 6600K For $179

Intel’s enthusiast, mainstream and budget tier processors have received massive price cuts by a certain list of retailers. The price cuts come just a few days after AMD announced their new Ryzen processors that feature highly competitive pricing and great performance numbers.

Over at Microcenter, we can see a large array of Intel processors that have undergone insane price cuts. We are looking at processors from the Kaby Lake, Skylake and even Haswell generations that are going at discounts of up to $300 US. Following is a list of all the processors that have seen price cuts at the retail site:

Intel Begins Price War With AMD Ryzen - Massive Price Cuts on Intel Chips By Retailers

0 Kudos
8 Replies
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Intel Kaby Lake and Skylake Processors Get Massive Price Cuts By Retailers Prior To AMD Ryzen Launch

Is curious Intel allowed the price cuts so soon before the NDAs lift...I wonder if AMD sent Intel an 1800X, or they got their hands on one somehow...Either way it's a win for us customers, and it should be a win for the rest of the hardware manufacturers as it will get them sales from people upgrading their entire machines, especially from the AMD camp where DDR4 and M.2 support has not been there. I wouldn't be surprised if Skylake, Haswell, and Broadwell chips got a deeper cut after Ryzen's launch to clear inventory. It's going to be interesting to see too how the turbo and XFR features work n Ryzen as well, it'd be very nice to have to not fool with manually overclocking and trial and error anymore, as well as have the proper clock down under 2D loads.

black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Intel Kaby Lake and Skylake Processors Get Massive Price Cuts By Retailers Prior To AMD Ryzen Launch

http://www.gamengadgets.com/amd-ryzen-processor-prices-officially-revealed/

AMD Ryzen

I see more cuts in the future. At $299 that puts the 7700K $100 more expensive than the 1400X. Granted the Intel chip is clocked higher, with XFR and even a mid range aftermarket cooler, who knows?

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Outperforms Intel i7-6950K Even With Air-cooling And Auto-Overclocking | MobiPicke...

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Another rumor, but quite possibly accurate, as well: AMD Ryzen Terror: Intel Could Commercialize 12 Core, 24 Thread CPU - Heavy Discounts On Intel Proces... With Ryzen being competitive IPC wise, and winning core count wise, as well as being price effective, Intel's going to have to up the core count as well. If I remember AMD's roadmap they intended to drop 8 core processors 2 generations from now, but it looks like octals will become the new quads instead.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Well it looks like everybody is getting in on the fire sale.

Nvidia turns everything to 11 with the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1080 price cuts

At GDC 2017, Nvidia announced its long-expected GTX 1080 Ti. The GPU, which has been rumored since at least the Nvidia Titan X’s unveil, is a potent upgrade compared with Nvidia’s previous top-end consumer card, the GTX 1080.

Nvidia turns everything to 11 with the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1080 price cuts - ExtremeTech

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Competition is good

black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

AMD Ryzen 7 Launch Slides Leaked | eTeknix

AMD Ryzen Launch Slides Leak 5

Looks like the i7-7700k will still be the baseline, as it has a higher frequency than the 1800X. I doubt XFR will get the 1800X over the 7700k's 4.5ghz turbo frequency, so it's still going to be 6.5% slower. Also, the 7700k is $349 against the 1800X's $499, so the real comparison will come against the 1700 (non X) for $329 on a dollar for dollar comparison, which means no XFR, and a very significant clock handicap (4.2ghz vs 3.0ghz, 4.5ghz turbo vs 3.7ghz). AMD did make a massive jump in IPC to come within spitting distance with Kaby Lake, the question is, why is the 1800X $499 vs the 1700X $399 when a 200mhz base clock appears to be the only difference?

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

Give it a few weeks for the dust to settle. It takes time to do a proper benchmarking.

0 Kudos
qwixt
Forerunner
Forerunner

AMD, the little engine that could. I am not sure how accurate those prices are because I got my 5820k for $330 18 months ago.

Hey AMD, still waiting for Vega.

0 Kudos