Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

jc950
Adept II

Ingame stuttering

Hi,

I'm a little bit desperate about this issue. Maybe I can find some help here !

The problem : I'm having micro stuttering while playing most of the games. It is very obvious on cyberpunk or call of duty cold war (no matter the graphic settings).

The setup : 
 - ASUS PRIME B550M-A(WIFI)
 - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
 - AMD Radeon 5600XT
 - DDR4 Corsair vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz
 - SSD NVMe M.2 Samsung 970 EVO

The analysis so far :
 - I've run several tests using default windows tools to check RAM and system integrity
 - I tried Hot CPU Tester and run a bench over 6 hours that didn't notice any anomaly
 - I also used 3DMark to run both bench and stress test. Here there is an interesting point, the results don't show any "problem" but the score is way below the average (average means other users score for the same bench with the same setup).

I've tried to switch GPU with a friend and we've run the 3DMark bench on both setup :
 - His setup : the score matches the average
 - His setup with my GPU : the score matches the average
 - My setup with his GPU : the score is below the average

Conclusion : I tend to think that the root cause doesn't come from the GPU, but I don't know how to identify the problem. If anyone has any advice to do so I would be very greateful ! 

NB : All the pieces are new and have been acquired in october 2020, I didn't see any physical damage on any of them and they have been treated with all the respect they deserve.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
30 Replies
EFermi
Challenger

Re: Ingame stuttering

Do you have any kind of vsync/freesync/antilag enabled? Did it happen before (you said it's from October)? What about third-party framerate monitoring apps? 

0 Likes
jc950
Adept II

Thank you for your response.

Actually, can my monitor be the root cause ? I have a BenQ GL2760-T which is not designed for gaming.
The vsync is not enabled. It kinda always happenned, it just get more obvious with the last game I played (cyberpunk and cold war). I'm using afterburner which shows a nice fps drop and GPU load at the same time. Nothing special about temperature (CPU and GPU at 60°C) and no overload on CPU or RAM

0 Likes
EFermi
Challenger

No, the monitor cannot be the cause of such problem. Even if we assume that (which is, once again, impossible, but whatever), then you'll have stuttering everywhere including desktop and BIOS interfaces, since monitor don't give a fat one what kind of picture to draw. 

0 Likes
jc950
Adept II

Well I don't have stuttering issue outside gaming. I can watch movie or whatever without any issue. However sometimes I have the feeling that the system is not running as fast as it should (but it's just a feeling).

Anyway, I'd like to test CPU on another setup or other component with my MB, but I don't have enough devices to do so. That's why I'm looking for software investigation, nothing very accurate so far.

0 Likes
xlox
Miniboss

maybe you are in power saving mode ?

maybe try some monitoring tools like cpuid hwmonitor to see if something is not working as intended

0 Likes
jc950
Adept II

You may have hit something !

I've just run another test using 3DMark while having hwmonitor running. The GPU voltage hit 150W which seems to be ok. But the CPU doesn't go over 70W which seems to be quite low for a Ryzen 5 3600. I checked my settings I didn't see any economic mode set anywhere. Any suggestion ? 

0 Likes
delevero
Adept III

Try connecting 2xPCIE cables to your graphics card from your PSU/power supply unit. ( dont use just one cable )
Also stuttering in some games can be many things from hardware, power, drivers and the game itself.
maybe i missed it but how large is your power supply ?

I owned the 3600x cpu before and i know one thing it become hot really fast and need good cooling.
If a cpu goes above 90c it will start to reduce its performance to protect itself = poor performance, lag, stuttering ect.
The same goes with your graphics card if i remember correctly.

My advice try the above with the cables.
And also check that your cpu fan is spinning and speed up when the computer need to perform.
Also you can try to reinstall/update your bios and reset everything to factory default/load predefined values i think its named, and then enable XMP on the main page so your system run with the correct ram speed ( ryzen cpu's love ram speed )
And then saver and reboot.

in windows go into power settings and select balanced power setting its run just as fast as the max power one by the way, it just slow down the computer when it can vs the other who keep the cpu running at higher clock speed.. But it dosent matter since ryzen is very good at super fast raising and lowering the speed as required.

PS... som info about ryzen 3600 wattage at idle, singlecore and multicore  workload 
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-3600-review,7.html

tip.
I have my self had many crashes since december where i bought new amd hardware a 5900x and 6900xt card.
I suspect my cpu is defective or that the drivers have some serious problems and are unstable. ( many talk about problems on amd forum )
Anyway try this it wont hurt your pc but maybe it make it run better

1). go into bios ( and i recommend to load default bios settings )
2). press F2 or enter advanced mode manualy
3). turn on XMP and select your ram profile
4). Find  CPU Vcore   AUTO
5). Change AUto to  1,375 volt
6). save and exit and see if that help.

you can also in windows power plan turn off things such as sleep mode, hybride sleep mode, harddisk sleep mode and other such things. maybe that can also be a help if you experience stability issues.

0 Likes
xlox
Miniboss

3600 is a 65W cpu , so it's perfectly fine and gpu 150W too ...

" I checked my settings I didn't see any economic mode set anywhere"

are you sure you know where to check ? lol =>

right click on windows menu => power settings => advanced power settings (at the right)

0 Likes
jc950
Adept II

Thank you for your time ! 

"are you sure you know where to check ? lol =>
right click on windows menu => power settings => advanced power settings (at the right)"
=> Yes I've checked the right spot, I meant that no economic mode is enabled 🙂 

I'm gonna take a look at your recommandations and let you know !

My PSU is a Corsair RM650
I've just test another PSU, and the result is the same.

"3600 is a 65W cpu , so it's perfectly fine and gpu 150W too ..."
=> Don't we see the power consumption getting higher on the link you've provided ?

0 Likes