cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Davarionite
Adept I

Inexplicable Restarts

So, I've been gaming on my PC for around three years now, and have upgraded parts a number of times. My current configuration is: 

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Ryzen 5 3600 (not overclocked, running at factory settings)

16 GB TridentZ Neo RGB 3600MHz CAS latency 16 RAM

XFX RX580 8GB 

EVGA 750BQ 80+ Bronze rated PSU

Crucial P1 1 TB NVMe SSD

240GB Kingston A400 2.5 inch SSD (boot drive)

2 TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive

Deepcool Captain 240EX Liquid AIO CPU cooler

4x UpHere RGB fans w/ wireless controller (connected via Molex)

Archer T6E Wifi Card

So, randomly, while gaming a few weeks ago, my computer suddenly began rebooting for no obvious reason. Running conditions don't seem to matter, as the PC restarts sometimes within a minute of booting, sometimes as I'm logging in, sometimes while sitting on the desktop, sometimes while gaming, etc. The timing of the reboots seems to be completely arbitrary, as well, as it occurs sometimes when the PCs uptime is well over an hour, and sometimes when the PC has only been running for twenty seconds. Regardless, it's extremely frustrating. The reboot occurs without a power cycle. All of the RGB lights in the system remain on during each reboot, and GPU fans sometimes spin throughout the reboot. My first concern, naturally, was the power supply, which at the time was a Corsair CX650M that I have since replaced with an EVGA 750BQ. The problem has not subsided. I then thought it may be the motherboard, even though the previous motherboard functioned fine in the BIOS and the computer will not reboot if just sitting in the BIOS. The old motherboard was an ASUS PRIME B450M-A. I've done testing and ruled out the GPU entirely - the computer continues to have issues with a Radeon HD4560 installed, with no remarkable differences in activity. The Tomahawk motherboard has a debug LED system, unlike the ASUS one I had previously used. The debug LEDs cycle upon bootup and then turn off. When the computer fails, the CPU debug LED blinks on for half a second before they cycle again and the computer POSTs into the splashscreen. I have spent the better part of 10 hours troubleshooting, including trying cinebench r20 and running unigine heaven, both of which seem to have no effect whatsoever on the random shutdowns. I'm convinced there's something wrong with my CPU (which has no IHS damage) and am wondering if others agree and if I should attempt to RMA the 3600. ANY help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I would test it myself but I don't have another AM4 CPU to replace the 3600 with for testing.

0 Likes
4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Are you running the ram on 3600? Well, try not using XMP for troubleshooting purposes.

Just an idea, nothing to lose here.

I had a lot of stability issues with the Corsair XMP profile, had to loosen up the timings.

The Englishman
0 Likes

I’ve tried with XMP turned off, turned on, etc. The restarts seem to happen less often when I turn off precision boost overdrive. So far that’s all I’ve got.

0 Likes

Is there an updated bios you can try?

I wish I could help you out more, if possible try a friends compatible CPU, like a Ryzen 2xxx CPU maybe.

Do you have warranty on it? Maybe its time to RMA.

The Englishman
0 Likes

I’ve tried several different BIOS versions, including rolling back in case an automatic update had occurred. It’s not the issue. I’ll have another CPU tested by tomorrow though, so maybe by then I’ll know exactly what went wrong.

0 Likes