cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

eduardobedoya
Journeyman III

I would like to test a GPU vram based painting program called 'Verve Painter', to see what are the max canvas resolution with AMD Vega GPU

Hi all AMD user

I was wondering if a kind AMD Vega user (or perhaps the good AMD team) could do a test of a GPU based program called 'Verve Painter'

it is a FREE digital painting program that is based on GPU vram to run its fluids simulation, the bigger the vram the bigger the canvas resolution in which it can paint.

I was wondering what could be the maximum canvas resolution using the new AMD Vega architecture,

hope some good AMD fellow could do me the favor, many thanks advanced.

Taronites • View topic - Everyone, what Graphics Card are you using?

This is the painting app forum, there are some NVIDIA tests there, but there isn't any AMD Vega test, so I thought to ask here, many thanks again.

PD: the program is very little and can be downloaded on that website too. Taronites • View topic - DOWNLOAD VERVE (v0.99w.05)

to do the test:

press hotkey "F" to change the Fluids dial, set it to 50% or 100%,

press hotkey "]" to increase the Brush Size,

start to paint, changing the colors as you like trying to cover all the canvas,

press hotkey "Shift F2" to Crop/Expand the canvas, then Expand the canvas a bit and save it as *.vrv file, close the program and reopen what you saved.

The test is about seeing what is the maximum canvas size in which you can save a *.vrv file and reopen it without problems.

please do the test with some fluids paint on the canvas, and perform the test first with a single layer, then with two layers, and so on.

If you can do a Vram test during the program run, it would be very appreciated. I think it has a some sort of limitations, cuz in the Verve forum it is said that a NVIDIA 1080ti has the same res limit than a NVIDIA 1080, though the 1080ti can handle more layers. Please check this link (the post made by Trufo)

Many thanks Advanced.

0 Likes
1 Solution

1 Layer

---

4000x4000-Doesn't save

3500x3500-Saves but loads up Black

3200x3200-Saves and loads just fine

---

2 Layers

3200x3200-Saves but loads up Black

3000x3000-Saves and loads just fine

-

3 Layers

3000x3000-Saves but loads up Black

2800x2800- Saves and loads just fine

-

4 Layers

-------------

HBCC made no difference in this test run.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies
patriotamd
Adept II

RX Vega 64 LC owner here.

I downloaded the program and have it open, so what I should do is Shift+F2 and just increase it until it crashes or what is the best methodology to test?

So far, a resolution of 5120x2880 runs smoothly - Although it looks light it's going to have issues saving and may have issues with layers, despite it only using 3GB Vram or so when the program is open.

3840x2160 Seems to save multiple layers properly without fault. HBCC in theory should solve the Vram issues but that doesn't appear to be the case as if the program is refusing to accept the virtual Vram.

PS: Thank you for introducing me to this software by the way, it's pretty amazing.

0 Likes

Hi patriotamd, thanks for your help

to do the test:

press hotkey "F" to change the Fluids dial, set it to 50% or 100%,

press hotkey "]" to increase the Brush Size,

start to paint, changing the colors as you like trying to cover all the canvas,

press hotkey "Shift F2" to Crop/Expand the canvas, then Expand the canvas a bit and save it as *.vrv file, close the program and reopen what you saved.

The test is about seeing what is the maximum canvas size in which you can save a *.vrv file and reopen it without problems.

please do the test with some fluids paint on the canvas, and perform the test first with a single layer, then with two layers, and so on.

If you can do a Vram test during the program run, it would be very appreciated. I think it has a some sort of limitations, cuz in the Verve forum it is said that a NVIDIA 1080ti has the same res limit than a NVIDIA 1080, though the 1080ti can handle more layers. Please check this link (the post made by Trufo)

Many thanks Advanced.

0 Likes

So at 3840x2160 (4k, 16-9 aspect ratio)

I am able to get 3 fully fluid layers saved and opened, but on the fourth I get an error upon trying to open it. "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION"

EDIT: Interesting HBCC results, at first since I didn't see a noticeable difference I thought HBCC made no difference but I have found one. Using HBCC allows me to load the file with 4 full liquid+Blend etc layers, without HBCC it will only do 3. However HBCC does NOT allow me to go to 5-6 or more, It seems to allow 4 but not more. GPU usage with 4 layers is only showing 2.5gb Vram Usage when the file is Open.

In theory HBCC should essentially let the program use 24gb worth of what it would consider to be Vram on my system 8GB+16GB, but I think the error it throws has to have a bottleneck somewhere else, although it would appear that simple dedicated GPU memory makes a clear difference, but then again you have the 1080/1080 ti claims.

Without HBCC at 5k 5120x2880 the Program is black after loading a file with just 1 layers, and gives the violation error when attempting to save a second layer.

Same Results with HBCC at 5k

0 Likes

Thanks again for the tests Patriotamd

please could you tell me what is the max canvas resolution in which a verve file can be saved and loaded without problems? with 1 layer, and with 2 layers?

many thanks again.

0 Likes

1 Layer

---

4000x4000-Doesn't save

3500x3500-Saves but loads up Black

3200x3200-Saves and loads just fine

---

2 Layers

3200x3200-Saves but loads up Black

3000x3000-Saves and loads just fine

-

3 Layers

3000x3000-Saves but loads up Black

-

4 Layers

-------------

HBCC made no difference in this test run.

0 Likes

Thanks for the 8GB Vega GPU patriotamd.

Glad to see you in the Verve forum.

0 Likes

Testing the program on a HD 3650 on my Lenovo T500 shows the program to be more fluff than substance.

needs a lot of work on it before it can compete with other more established titles

0 Likes

Plus the program hasn't been updated since November 2013. It is five y/o. Since it hasn't been updated, it probably can't take advantage of the advancement in Hardware and Windows in the past five years.

0 Likes

As of today (11/8/2018) It was updated last on October 29thm 2018(10/29/18), which is the version you're given when you click on the download link

The Original post was made in 2013, but has been updated with every new update and the creator has made a comment for each, including for Oct 29th 18. As for due respect for the program, what it offers is it's unique approach to painting, this type of Fluid simulation I haven't seen in anything else. All the paint is the same, but has different physically based variables which I adore.

0 Likes

Yep. Misread the Download page. The software is updated as of Oct 28, 2018. So it should be compatible with the latest Windows version and hardwares.

Thanks for correcting my last comment.

0 Likes

"elstaci" For a moment I thought you got a different download link,

Verve painter has been updated several times since it was released, though it's still in beta version, the creator "Taron", has managed to craft an impressive and unique natural media feel in digital painting, breaking throught a whole new paradigm that I'd never seen before, and I can humbly say that I've work with all the biggest natural medias package out there, ArtRage, Painter, etc.

You can see on the galleries what can be done with Verve, the main concern though is the canvas resolution limit, that's why I was gathering info.

0 Likes

Does this software support multiple graphics cards?

If it supports it, I might be able to bring some different data.

0 Likes

not many games or programs support dual cards, they generally have to be designed for it

Vega 64 is AMD's current most powerful GPU and it can handle anything out there

My old HD 7870 is powerful enough for general gaming and application use

My feeling is that many programs/games support multiple graphics cards.

Multiple graphics cards have brought me a great boost

I like multiple graphics cards

0 Likes

Hi sakuramichitsuki

sorry for the delay,

unfortunately, Verve painter doesn't support SLI, dual link, or the like. But many thanks for the interest.

please feel free to join the forum, and try the painting program, it's very delightful, plus the developer "Taron" is a very active member and very open to feedback since he is constantly improving the code, so your specific data when working with Verve could cast some light and help "Taron" to further develop the software.

thanks again.

0 Likes