cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

onyisart
Journeyman III

I'm buying a laptop with this Processor be good!?

So I'm looking to buy a PC for travel. Something lite strong enough to handle art software (Clip Studio Paint, Paint Tool Sai, Photoshop.)  I came across a laptop with AMD Ryzen™ 3 2200U (2.5 GHz, up to 3.4GHz, 1 MB cache, 2 cores) AMD Radeon™ Vega 3 Graphics.  Will this be good enought o handle my software? I looked it up and it compares to the Intel icore 5 (even though it's not as powerful). I have a main PC for art, but i do need something for travel (and won't freeze)

0 Likes
3 Replies

One of the good/important benefits of having a Intel processor with Vega graphics in a laptop is...Intel supplies the graphics drivers/updates. Not the laptop manufacturer..who are notorious for lack of support. Ryzen/Vega mobility (laptop) graphics drivers are only available from the manufacturer...as of this time. 

0 Likes
jigzaw
Elite

So far my experience with a HP 15-DB0125AU: Ryzen 5 2500U, Vega 8, 128GB NVMe, 1TB HDD and 8 GB DDR4, have been good. It been good since I was able to update the driver to Adrenalin 18.9.1 and 18.9.3, this wasn't that easy but I did a lot of research how it can be done, Windows 10 update keeps putting it back to default HP release driver and only after when I tick didn't work when W10 what wrong with the default driver finally stop removing the 18.9.3 via window update.

Also I changed the HP/Hynix 8GB DDR4 single module to 2 sticks of 8GB Kingston 2400 DDR4 for dual channel mode which tremendously change everything. I use this for 3D CAD (modeling with IRONCAD and rendering with KeyShot), I also test loading up 160MB file size models with 3500+parts and it works projecting the 2D documentation.

Look for a brand or model that easily allow access to the ram modules so you can upgrade it like the Acer Aspire A315, Asus Vivobook or Lenovo Thinkpad E485 for portability or E585.

AMD announced that they will handle the gpu updates soon, something that all user are looking forward to.

I've posted my insights on my experience on this on this forum and what I've done.

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

In terms of Mobile Platforms., the AMD Ryzen APUs are generally speaking "On Par" with their Intel Core 'Ultra-Low' counterparts (i5 8250U) in CPU tasks and will absolutely curb stop the Intel Iris UHD Graphics with the Vega Graphics. 

With this said AMD Processors., and I'm not just talking Ryzen but even the A-Series... in terms of Desktop Applications / Workloads are frankly very similar in terms of the Capabilities and Performance; regardless if we're talking the Budget or Premium Products.

Where there does tend to be a difference is in Computation Times for Intensive Individual Tasks.

So, like don't expect to have Photoshop Filters process "Quickly" but at the same time; someone you'll notice is you can have A LOT more going on (even with something like the Ryzen 3 2200U) than you can on it's Intel counter-part; that with just a Single Photoshop Document, plus a couple of Chrome/Firefox/Edge Tabs open (let's be honest we all have reference open) or Multiple Applications that you're switching between... yeah that's when Intel tends to start struggling and HARD.

Where-as the Budget Ryzen isn't going to offer that much difference compared to even say the Workstation Threadripper in that regard. 

What you are going to want to ensure though, is that you get a Laptop with enough Memory (8GB is "Minimum" but I'd highly recommend 16GB; and an M.2 PCI-E SSD is also a somewhat must have) … you're also going to want to make sure (with the Ryzen 3 2200U) that the Memory is 2400 - 2666MHz and Dual Channel. 

Ensure that, and it'll be a surprisingly capable "On-the-Go" Workstation. 

0 Likes