cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Huge Leak Reveals AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Details: 16-Core Monster 2019's Killer Processor?

Russian Etailer leaks possibly new AMD Ryzen 9 CPUs:

Huge Leak Reveals AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Details: 16-Core Monster 2019's Killer Processor?

Antony Leather

We're just weeks away from finding out what AMD has in store for 2019 with its desktop CPUs and the latest rumor seems to confirm previous suspicions that AMD is indeed releasing a 16-core desktop 'Ryzen 9' CPU.

The leak, spotted on Russian retailer E-Katalog, reveals seven new 3000-series Ryzen CPUs, with the top-end model being the Ryzen 9 3800X with a maximum frequency of 4.7GHz.

This is tantalizing news given we've already heard several rumors of AMD doubling its core counts on the desktop, but this is the first retailer leak showing in-depth details for the new Ryzen 3, Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 ranges of CPUs.

There are plenty of interesting details too, such as frequencies hitting 5GHz on the Ryzen 7 3700X, which has 12 cores and 24 threads. The two Ryzen 3 models - traditionally four-core CPUs, have been bumped up to six cores each and are the Ryzen 3 3300X and Ryzen 3 3300, with maximum boost frequencies of 4.3GHz and 4GHz respectively.

Similarly, the Ryzen 5 series now seems to start at eight cores with the Ryzen 5 3600X also sporting a massive 4.8GHz boost frequency, which will likely mean it could offer competition to Intel's mighty Core i9-9900K.

The Ryzen 7 series now starts at 12 cores, with the Ryzen 7 3700X also sporting that massive 5GHz boost frequency which should mean it can out-do Intel's Core i9-9900K in most benchmarks, although there's no word on price yet for any of the CPUs. Even if these specifications vary a little between now an launch, this is huge news for AMD as it points to at least two of Zen 2's expectations being fulfilled - higher frequencies and increased core counts. With a decent bump in IPC too, it looks like AMD could have a very good 2019.

0 Likes
8 Replies

I saw it, but I hope it's not true, since we've seen with Threadripper that some programs refuse to run with 16 cores. Not putting any faith in any listed boost clock either...

0 Likes

The R3 3300 looks adequate for a single video card box

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I have to wonder what the 125W TDP on the supposed Ryzen 9 would do for backward compatibility with X470 and especially X370 boards.  Without extra plugs from the PSU, I wonder if those boards will be able to drive all those cores.

It will also be interesting to see if there are tangible IPC improvements this time.  Zen vs Zen+ at the same clocks didn't show much difference in performance.

0 Likes

What X370/X470 motherboard doesn't feature and EPS8 connector, or at least a P4?

0 Likes

I checked Gigabyte and MSI X470 Boards and they all have extra CPU Power plugs of 8 and 4 pins.

But the highest Ryzen TDP was 95 watts. So they will need to update the BIOS to include the 125 TDP Ryzen.

0 Likes

Oh, I'm sure it will run at stock, but the overclocking potential will likely be limited on an X370.  They were more generous with the power plugs on the X470s to accommodate precision boost overdrive.

0 Likes

If you were one of the people to buy a budget board, you're not the kind of person who will buy a 16C processor. Also, and it's in the same vein as the current argument an overclocker is making about Intel and their frequent socket changes, there's no reason why AMD wouldn't have designed Socket AM4 to supply the necessary power for 125W CPUs, but the board's budget design may not allow for that ability, much like the very ill conceived FX-9000 series, they could run on any Socket AM3+ board, but due to lower quality components for budget reasons not every board supported them.

0 Likes

I believe even the budget MSI motherboards I like can handle an uppity CPU. MSI has been better at updating their BIOS than others I have seen.

msi-a320m-bazooka.png

0 Likes