cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

IamHamidd
Journeyman III

How do I stop Windows 10 from updating my graphics driver?

Every time Windows 10 runs updates (which I see no way to control), it updates my graphics driver. I like the old one because it is faster. So, I have to reinstall it. This is getting to be a pain. Is there any way to stop Windows 10 from updating it again? site

4 Replies

You can prevent Windows Update from installing graphics drivers through Group Policy.

This does not effect the security, quality, patch, or any other type update...they are presented as normal.

In short...you don't have to worry about WU installing (changing) AMD graphics drivers.

Type gpedit in the search bar...follow > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

kingfish_0-1660393525324.png

On the right side scroll to Do not include drivers with Windows Update policy and double click it. Select the ENABLED option.

kingfish_1-1660393525325.png

Click 'Apply' then OK.

Reboot your computer.

That works, but doesn't that stop windows from installing all of my driver updates, not just for the graphics drivers? Do I need to them update the rest of my drivers manually from time to time?

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

It doesn't work on Windows 11 either.  Even though additional updates are disabled and Microsoft just pushes them down your throat instead of allowing you to choose what updates to download and install.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
UriahKingsley
Journeyman III

You can use the "Show or Hide Updates" troubleshooter from Microsoft to hide specific driver updates. Keep in mind that disabling automatic updates for graphics drivers means you might miss out on important fixes and optimizations. It's essential to manually check for updates or use driver management tools to stay up to date while retaining control over which drivers you install.  

0 Likes