cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

PedalaPls232
Adept I

How do i know my ssd is falling and i should change it

Hello. So my boot up started getting slower and slower and i wanna know if my SSD is failing so i should get a new one. Could i get any recommendations for a new ssd that is fast for some games and windows. My friends recommended me Samsung ssd but i don't know much about ssd, I only know that SSD=fast.

Alina
4 Replies
pcriddle
Journeyman III

Before you go and change your SSD, check how full it is, SSD's need space to move things around and if it is full its going to slow down because it cannot move things around, I generally try to keep my SSD just for the OS and for that I use a 110 GB SSD and keep everything else on the other SSD and Harddrives.

For the SSd OS drive I try to keep it between 50% and 30% free if possible before cleaning excess software out which is not required, check how full it is.

Find the SSD but shut down the pc as it wont boot up without it and insert it into like a ssd checker or driver (not sure) and check how much space it has.if it has very low space or barely at all its time for a change but if its not I think startup programs are affecting your computer

RealComputerEnthusiast
0 Likes

Run in a elevated Command Prompt - CHKDSK /r/x/r to check your Windows drive for any bad sectors or memory. You will need to reboot so that CHKDSK can run and check your Windows drive or use the SSD's own diagnostic software to check your SSD or another HDD manufacturer's diagnostic to check your SSD.

This Microsoft website gives very good information on how to reduce your SSD/HDD drive from all the junk and clutter in it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/tips-to-free-up-drive-space-on-your-pc-4d97fc4a-0175-8d4...

0 Likes
tenzo23
Elite

Usually you can download management software for your SSD that can show you health and life expectancy. For example, ADATA SSD Toolbox and Samsung Magician. Google your SSD model and find the product page on the manufacturer's website. Look for support or downloads and see if they have utility software.

But if you haven't done so already, run TRIM. Right click on your SSD>Properties>Tools>Optimize

It's normal for an SSD to get slower when it starts to reach full capacity. Also, you may have more startup apps than you did before and that could slow boot times.

Click Windows icon>Settings>Apps>Startup and turn off all the ones that aren't necessary.

/sig Fun guy.
0 Likes