Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

StxxnMachine
Journeyman III

HELP! Upgraded CPU to 5600x on B450 motherboard and cannot boot up

Hello,

I have just upgraded my ryzen 5 2600 to a ryzen 5 5600x on my MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max motherboard. The problem is when I attempt starting the pc it boots straight to BOIS and if I try to exit BIOS it restarts straight back into it. Before I made the upgrade I made sure to install the most recent BIOS update through the flash function, however, this hasn't seemed to support the new CPU as when I went back to 2600 it worked as usual again.

I have noticed that in the MSI BIOS>settings>boot my specific drives are not showing up in the boot priorities. But this only happens when the new 5600x CPU is installed. When 2600 is in this is not an issue.

Please help!

Thanks

0 Likes
4 Replies

Sounds like the bios flash didn't work, you might want to ask on MSI support forum about that.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Did you see if the RAM that is compatible with the Ryzen 5 2600 is also compatible with the Ryzen 5 5600X: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX/support#support-mem-19

I don't see any QVL RAM list for the 5000 series processors for your motherboard. Only for the 3000 series Processors.

Remove all RAM Modules except for one and see if it boots up or not.

What Motherboard Trouble LED light is on when you try to boot up with the 5600x.

By the way you need BIOS version 7B86vHB.zip or newer for the Motherboard to recognize the new processor.

Sounds like BIOS sees something that is wrong when it checks your hardware during POST and restarts to try and fix it. Sometimes if you have a wrong setting BIOS would do this to reset BIOS back to where it will work.

Make sure you have BIOS in factory Defaults while troubleshooting to eliminate any wrong BIOS settings you may have made.

0 Likes

Similar issue here a couple of days I upgrade my pc to the new CPU ryzen 5 5600x. Purchased a new motherboard and some RAM too. But the Pc wouldn't boot. I investigated until I ran out of thoughts. Had it looked at by best purchase and they said the motherboard isn't working. I had the option to supplant the motherboard and RAM (for good measure) however it actually won't boot. Simply contemplating whether I can do anything more prior to supplanting the CPU too.

Ryzen 5 5600x
ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming motherboard
4400 MHz memory speed

0 Likes

Are you running that memory @4400mhz?
If you are trying that then drop the speed to 3000mhz then try upping it to 3200mhz..
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes