cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

KG4
Adept I

B450M Mortar (Non Max ) supports Ryzen 5000? PLZ Help!

Hello everyone,

Long story short, I have a MSI B450M Mortar ( Non Max ) motherboard and a R5 2600 and I want to upgrade to a R5 5600x BUT.. I cant find anywhere that says if there's a Bios for my motherboard that supports the Ryzen 5000 series. On the MSI website there's nothing saying that supports it, so my question is... Wich BIOS version do I need to install,? If theres any..

Thank you.

5 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

According to MSI site it should support the 5000 series CPUs.

Here is a link. 

MSI Global - The Leading Brand in High-end Gaming & Professional Creation

If that doesn't take you to the compatibility chart, look to the left side under Products Services and click compatibility. This should bring up a chart. Next click the CPU filter and Ryzen 5000 should be listed at the bottom.

It says, it is supported by the latest beta bios.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Thank you very much. I see the 5600x is supported by the "Latest beta BIOS", but when I click on it it shows an "empty" screen, nothing to download. Is that because its a beta bios? Is it safe to download a beta bios?

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I would say it is relatively safe. I have used many beta bios in both of my PCs as well as PCs I helped build with friends and they run fine. The beta bios is available for download in this link. 

MSI Global - The Leading Brand in High-end Gaming & Professional Creation

It is here at the top of the list. Listed as 7B89v1H5(Beta version). 

Before updating the bios you should check your current bios version and download that version to a thumb drive in case the beta bios does not work. 

I see your board has a bios flash button. I personally would make sure you have power to the PC and aren't experiencing any surges of any kind as that can cause the flashing process to fail and brick your board. After backing up the current bios I would consult the manual, which you can download by clicking the manual tab on the support section of the site for your board and selecting the language you would like. Some boards require you to rename bios files on the thumb drive to use the bios flash button. 

After looking at how to update bios via the flash button I would follow the directions given and if all goes well you should be able to install the new CPU and start your PC and it will run fine. You may get a prompt because you changed the CPU but I don't think you will since it will be on a fresh bios install. After install you may want to configure your bios further, enabling XMP and other features. I have an MSI board as well as a Gigabyte board and configuration is fairly straight forward on both. 

From this point if your new bios doesn't work for some reason I would contact MSI support. It's a hassle to deal with customer support at most places but they would know more than I do about how the process may have failed or if their beta bios is stable. 

I hope all goes well. Let me know if you need any more help.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Thank you very much for the in depth explanation, I will try that method and if anything goes worng I will let you know.

Thank you again 

pelop
Journeyman III

hi, pls, did it work for you? I also have msi b450m mortart and thinking about ryzen 5 5600x. thank you.

0 Likes