cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

b_ramos
Journeyman III

Hello All,

I have an MSI 990FXA-GB80 MoBo.  I just installed two Crucial 500gig SSD's into my case and SATA3 to my MoBo.  My previous SSD, a Mushkin, got corrupted and died and I lost my recent data.  SO, I decided I would do RAID 1 this time with the two Crucial SSD's.  I have 16 gig of RAM.  My processor is an AMD Phenom II X6 1075T.  I also have a fresh Win 10 CD.  My previous Windows was Win7 with a free upgrade to WIn10.   I setup the RAID 1 in the MSI BIOS.  Put in the Win 10 CD.  And installed Windows.  Everything went smoothly.  Win10 was loaded on DISC 0. BUT.  And isn't there always a But?

Did Windows actually install on BOTH of my SSD's?  If not, do I have to install Windows on each  SSD individually?  The reason I ask is simple.  I have an 320 gig HDD I wanted to use as a media storage device in this same machine.  So after I got everything installed, I went into Control Panel and selected Storage Spaces to create that storage device.  AND, it shows my other Crucial SSD DISC 1 AND the Seagate HDD as DISC2  as un-formatted and available for storage.  Both are showing connected via RAID.  DISC 1 is showing 465GIG capacity and it is a 500 GIG drive.  So that 35 GIG's is WIN10?

Thanks, Bruce

0 Likes
15 Replies

Probably not, have a read of https://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Ok.  So....  Unplug all of my drives and load Windows on each drive individually?  Then plug them back in and setup my HDD for storage?  Bruce

0 Likes

Can't help you with that, not done raid myself.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
jr88
Journeyman III

I don't think so...I would do a clean install anyways and bootable USB pen drive.

Should Upgrade to Ryzen...got Flagship Ryzen 2600x Working on over...It is Awesome.

https://i.imgur.com/eVAcyYT.jpg 

0 Likes

Thanks.  I don't think the RyZen would fit my MoBo.  BUT, I am thinking of building another system later next year around a RyZen CPU.  B. 

0 Likes

Well it's Worth the upgrade...I've had literally Everything in the past. And it's much better than Bulldozer. It's very Modern Performance wise, and the threaded stuff that seems to be the rave now. 

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018, 01:54:46 PM EST, b.ramos <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv6382163298 * #yiv6382163298 a #yiv6382163298 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv6382163298 #yiv6382163298 h1, #yiv6382163298 h2, #yiv6382163298 h3, #yiv6382163298 h4, #yiv6382163298 h5, #yiv6382163298 h6, #yiv6382163298 p, #yiv6382163298 hr {}#yiv6382163298 .yiv6382163298button td {}

|

Community

Re: Hello All,

in General Discussion

Thanks.  I don't think the RyZen would fit my MoBo.  BUT, I am thinking of building another system later next year around a RyZen CPU.  B. 

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

0 Likes
mack0y
Elite

What you need to do is:

1. Download the latest AMD RAID driver (SATA RAID only) from 990FX Drivers & Support | AMD and store it on a USB drive
  2. Download this MSI RAID User guide http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/AMD_RAID_Manual.zip
  3. Change the SATA mode in BIOS settings to RAID from AHCI or IDE
  4. Follow the instructions in the RAID User guide.  Since you want a bootable RAID, make sure you follow the instructions on page 8 and ignore page 9.
0 Likes

Aha, thanks Mackoy.  I did go to MSI's page and did not find new raid drivers there.  So I guess I was looking in the wrong spot.  I am downloading the drivers now from that other site.  I already down loaded the manual from MSI's site on how to do the RAID.  B. 

0 Likes

b.ramos wrote:

I have an MSI 990FXA-GB80 MoBo. I just installed two Crucial 500gig SSD's into my case and SATA3 to my MoBo. My previous SSD, a Mushkin, got corrupted and died and I lost my recent data. SO, I decided I would do RAID 1 this time with the two Crucial SSD's. I have 16 gig of RAM. My processor is an AMD Phenom II X6 1075T. I also have a fresh Win 10 CD. My previous Windows was Win7 with a free upgrade to WIn10. I setup the RAID 1 in the MSI BIOS. Put in the Win 10 CD. And installed Windows. Everything went smoothly. Win10 was loaded on DISC 0. BUT. And isn't there always a But?

Did Windows actually install on BOTH of my SSD's? If not, do I have to install Windtows on each SSD individually? The reason I ask is simple. I have an 320 gig HDD I wanted to use as a media storage device in this same machine. So after I got everything installed, I went into Control Panel and selected Storage Spaces to create that storage device. AND, it shows my other Crucial SSD DISC 1 AND the Seagate HDD as DISC2 as un-formatted and available for storage. Both are showing connected via RAID. DISC 1 is showing 465GIG capacity and it is a 500 GIG drive. So that 35 GIG's is WIN10?

Thanks, Bruce

Forget RAID and go buy a couple of cheap USB disks, use them to backup files and then if your primary disk chokes the backups are there

Two backups are safer as if one is magled the other is a standby

0 Likes

Okay, I got the RAID drivers on a USB, but they are still packed.  Do I need to un-pack them or will Windows do that when they get installed during the process.  I printed out the AMD RAID tutorial and read through it.  Thanks, Bruce 

0 Likes

Did you download the AMD RAID Driver (SATA RAID Only) one?  If yes, you should unzip the files to the USB drive.  I suggest you use the MSI RAID User guide that I linked to since it is specific to your motherboard.  Ignore the part on page 8 where it says "Please follow the instruction below to make a SATA RAID driver for yourself" since you will be using the driver you downloaded instead and just continue to step 4.

0 Likes
b_ramos
Journeyman III

Ok, I got the drivers un-zipped on the thumb drive.  I tried to go back and redo everything but I can't seem to get to the point of updating the drivers.  Windows just wants to enter repair mode.  In BIOS, I set the raid driver to UEFI from Legacy.  The Mobo would not go beyond POST.  SO I set it back to Legacy.  At that point I was able to get to CNTR F.  But I was not able to select any drive or make changes in that window.  So now I'm pulling my hair out just trying to get these darn RAID drivers updated so I can do RAID 1.  I even tried to reformat my SSD's to start out clean.  A no go.  What am I doing wrong?  Bruce 

0 Likes

You have to start from the beginning.  You cannot use your current Windows installation.  When you create the RAID, the two SSDs will become one logical drive to any OS you try to install.  Then you have to install Windows on that logical drive.  When you get to the Windows installation part on which drive to install it, the drive won't appear because you have to load the RAID driver first for it.

t3etpfZkbdTTY3TZjlzNq_cVmIDByZf_IJv0g_VB9sokS461mCmrbNg7H4RrIiAFtWo7lrNrMosnX3hFtbIbSSjiZFpY467L-aQUPbFdyNhQSqBRkpux2eZZ_FBqxyih3ztj2Jlv

When you change the SATA mode to RAID, it won't go beyond POST.  You should be able to enter the RAID setup mode with CTRL-F though.  So first, you have to create the RAID array and then you boot from the Windows 10 installation CD like normal and when you get to the installation part in that screenshot, you have to load the RAID driver from the USB drive you stored it on.  It will then list one logical drive with a capacity of 500GB only since you created a RAID 1 array and then you will be able to install Windows on it like a normal installation.

If you get stuck,  post some photos of the SATA mode options from the BIOS.

0 Likes

Whatever it was to get into the raid menu and entry. And yeah create you're Raid. I didn't use it much that Asrock had the nvme. Even really one is just fine...fill it up and just start putting junk on the sata SSD and HDD. Could use a modern HDD. wd blue is old and slowwwww.  On Sunday, December 30, 2018, 02:33:00 AM EST, mack0y <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv2924719127 * #yiv2924719127 a #yiv2924719127 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv2924719127 #yiv2924719127 h1, #yiv2924719127 h2, #yiv2924719127 h3, #yiv2924719127 h4, #yiv2924719127 h5, #yiv2924719127 h6, #yiv2924719127 p, #yiv2924719127 hr {}#yiv2924719127 .yiv2924719127button td {}

|

Community

Re: Hello All,

in General Discussion

You have to start from the beginning.  You cannot use your current Windows installation.  When you create the RAID, the two SSDs will become one logical drive to any OS you try to install.  Then you have to install Windows on that logical drive.  When you get to the Windows installation part on which drive to install it, the drive won't appear because you have to load the RAID driver first for it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/t3etpfZkbdTTY3TZjlzNq_cVmIDByZf_IJv0g_VB9sokS461mCmrbNg7H4RrIiAFtWo7lrNrMosnX3hFtbIbSSjiZFpY467L-aQUPbFdyNhQSqBRkpux2eZZ_FBqxyih3ztj2Jlv

When you change the SATA mode to RAID, it won't go beyond POST.  You should be able to enter the RAID setup mode with CTRL-F though.  So first, you have to create the RAID array and then you boot from the Windows 10 installation CD like normal and when you get to the installation part in that screenshot, you have to load the RAID driver from the USB drive you stored it on.  It will then list one logical drive with a capacity of 500GB only since you want to create a RAID 1 array and then you will be able to install Windows on it like a normal installation.

If you get stuck,  post some photos of the SATA mode options from the BIOS.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

0 Likes

Okay I think I got it fixed guys, thanks for the input and help.  B.

0 Likes