cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Grudgieson
Journeyman III

Having Trouble Installing AMD Stock Wraith Cooler

Hey, I’ve been having troubles installing my Stealth Wraith stock cooler on my Ryzen 5 3600. I put my thermal paste on the CPU and then line up the cooler with the holes on the motherboard backplate then put the cooler on, apply pressure and screw in the screws in a cross pattern but when I tighten the first screw it catches but then I try the one across from it and it can’t seem to catch. I’ve loosened the screw and then tried again but it seems I can only ever get one screw to catch. I’ve tried over 4 times now to put the cooler on and the same thing happens every time. I’ve held the backplate on firmly, I’ve tried forcing it down, and everything. I’ve watch videos of how to install it and everyone seems to do it way easier than I can. Am I doing something wrong or are they’re any tips and tricks to make this easier?? My motherboard is the Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Pro. All help is appreciated, thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

You are likely doing nothing wrong. They keep making that cooler worse and worse. I installed one a couple years ago with no issue but built one for a friend a couple months ago and struggled to get them to thread too. I did finally get a helper to hold the board so I could use both hands to get the screw in. 

In reality I replaced mine as it was frankly a horrible cooler anyway. I got a 212 evo for 35 bucks and it tricky compared to some to mount but nothing like that stock cooler has gotten and boy does it cool much better. 

Like I said I just had a friend hold the board with one hand and push against the back plate and use one of my hands to grip the cooler and the really bared down on the screw driver to get it to go. It should not be that hard. 

If you want to verify you don't have anything setup wrong you could take a pic of both sides of the board and post it here and we can be sure. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You are likely doing nothing wrong. They keep making that cooler worse and worse. I installed one a couple years ago with no issue but built one for a friend a couple months ago and struggled to get them to thread too. I did finally get a helper to hold the board so I could use both hands to get the screw in. 

In reality I replaced mine as it was frankly a horrible cooler anyway. I got a 212 evo for 35 bucks and it tricky compared to some to mount but nothing like that stock cooler has gotten and boy does it cool much better. 

Like I said I just had a friend hold the board with one hand and push against the back plate and use one of my hands to grip the cooler and the really bared down on the screw driver to get it to go. It should not be that hard. 

If you want to verify you don't have anything setup wrong you could take a pic of both sides of the board and post it here and we can be sure. 

Yeah, I had trouble with mine but I help a friend build his PC but his CPU was a Ryzen 5 2600 and the cooler with it seem to fit without any problem unlike mine that came with my Ryzen 5 3600. This makes me wonder if there is something with the different generations, perhaps different way of manufacturing? Beats me though.

0 Likes