cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Av6o
Journeyman III

GPU Crashes and Monitor Issues—How Adjusting GPU Frequency Fixed My System Stability

• Hello everyone,

I wanted to share the steps I took to resolve a persistent GPU issue, which might help others experiencing similar problems. Here’s a detailed breakdown of my approach:

Hardware Overview:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite AX
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • Graphics Card: ASRock AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
  • Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB DDR5-6000
  • Power Supply: NZXT C1200 Gold

Steps Taken to Troubleshoot:

1. Initial Diagnostics:

• I reseated the GPU to ensure it was securely connected.
    • Updated drivers for both the GPU and CPU to the latest versions.
    • Checked the RAM to confirm it was working correctly.
    • Wiped existing drivers and reinstalled older, more stable versions.
    • Updated the BIOS and cleared the CMOS to reset hardware settings.
  2. Further Investigation:

• Despite these steps, crashes persisted. I tested the system by connecting a monitor cable to the integrated graphics on the motherboard. In Device Manager, I noticed that the GPU was hidden, suggesting that the GPU was functional but had crashed. This led me to suspect that the issue might be related to GPU settings rather than hardware failure.
  3. GPU Frequency Adjustment:

• I suspected that the problem could be due to tuning issues in AMD’s Adrenalin software. I researched the base frequency for the reference version of my GPU, the RX 7900 XTX, and found that it should operate at a standard frequency of 2500 MHz. My Phantom Gaming version of the 7900 XTX was set to 2950 MHz.
    • I adjusted the GPU frequency to the standard 2500 MHz to match the reference specifications. This change was crucial in resolving the crashes.
  4. Outcome:

• After adjusting the GPU frequency to 2500 MHz, I was able to run Star Citizen without experiencing any crashes. This solution was confirmed through extensive research across various forums, which helped pinpoint that the issue was related to the GPU being set beyond its stable operating range due to third-party tuning settings.

Common Issues and Searches: If you’re encountering similar problems, you might find yourself searching for terms like:

• “Monitor crashes but computer stays on”
  • “Screen goes black but PC still running”
  • “Monitor loses signal during gaming”
  • “PC crashes under heavy load”
  • “GPU crashes after driver update”

By checking and adjusting your GPU frequency to align with the manufacturer’s standard specifications and researching these common issues, you can often resolve stability problems. If you need any more help or have further questions, feel free to reach out!

A Note on Fixes and Understanding

Some people have found solutions by updating drivers, changing PSUs, or even switching monitor cables. While these fixes can be effective, I wanted to find a solution that didn’t require purchasing new hardware. I understand that if you paid for a GPU with higher frequencies, it might be frustrating to consider underclocking it. However, if you’re looking for a cost-effective fix and want to avoid spending more money, adjusting the GPU frequency to match the reference MHz can be a practical solution.

If you prefer, you can return the GPU or request a replacement if underclocking isn’t satisfactory. Ultimately, as long as your GPU operates at or above the reference MHz and resolves the stability issues, I consider it a successful outcome. If you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pDZyJy
0 Likes
1 Reply
Av6o
Journeyman III

Hello! If you found this post informative or useful, please consider leaving a comment and a like. Additionally, if you come across someone with similar challenges, feel free to share this post with them.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pDZyJy
0 Likes