cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD Investigating USB Issues in 500-Series Motherboards

AMD has launched an investigation into reports of USB problems in its 500-series motherboards and is asking affected users to sound off on the problem. It’s also invited users to contact it directly by opening a support ticket. The company says it’s engaged in root cause analysis and that some users who post information in the appropriate Reddit thread may be contacted later to provide additional details.

The problem with potential X570 and B550 board stability was indirectly raised by PowerGPU earlier this month. We reported on the PowerGPU situation and the fact that reported RMA rates from other retailers do not match the failure numbers PowerGPU had seen. The company has since taken down its initial tweet and says it is working with AMD to resolve what might have caused its problems. But while there is no public proof that AMD CPUs are failing, AMD X570 and B550 motherboards both seem as though they may have some problematic tendencies. AMD’s Reddit post states:

AMD is aware of reports that a small number of users are experiencing intermittent USB connectivity problems with 500-series chipsets. We have analyzed the cause and at this time would like to ask the community for assistance with a small selection of additional hardware configurations In the next few days, some r / Amd users may be contacted directly by an AMD representative (u / AMDOfficial) through Reddit’s PM system with a request for more information.

Reports in the requisite thread are varied as to the cause and potential solutions. Multiple users are reporting that heavy USB bus activity seems to trigger problems, and VR headsets are commonly mentioned. Other users report that they have to plug USB devices in according to a specific order, or that literally only one port on their motherboard works for VR. I had similar issues getting an Oculus Rift to function with USB 3.0, but that was years ago, and I was working with an old X79 board with a third-party, first-generation USB 3.0 chip. Modern motherboards, particularly those built for high-end gaming, should be immune to this kind of risk. Other users have reported onboard audio crashes or the failure of third-party DACs when connected via USB.

Presently, the X570 and B550 are affected. This is an Asrock board, but the problem is not known to be specific to any manufacturer.

One potential solution, quoted by multiple users, is to only use PCIe 3.0 signaling speeds for your graphics card. Motherboards should offer the option to use PCIe 3.0 GPU signaling without shutting off PCIe 4.0 SSD support. Some users believe the problem was actually present in the X470 family while others report having previously owned stable X470 rigs before upgrading to either B550 or X570 and that the problems occurred only once they updated.

Sometimes, when you read through a tech thread, you can get a feel for what’s going on and what might fix it. The advice to drop back to PCIe 3.0 definitely works for some people, but not others. One user claims they only encountered the problem on 500-series boards, another person counters that it started with 400-series boards. Some claim issues date back to launch, others have said the problems only began a few months ago. The PCIe 4.0 fix works for a lot of people, but not for everyone. Whether these users are experiencing unrelated USB issues or have a different variant of this common problem is unknown.

One Reddit user, Darklaunch357, reports that deactivating global c-states in UEFI reduces the disconnect rate from every 10 minutes to roughly every 30. He additionally reports:

Update (2/21): After some monitoring and studies, I’ve found that having PCI Express 4.0 enabled leads to high DPC time on “asmtxhci.sys” (ASMedia xHCI Host Controller Driver) according to LatencyMon, and a distinct mistiming leading to high latencies consistently in the 54 ms mark (with eventual spikes to 240-310 ms) as reported by DS4Windows’ latency measurements on a wired DualShock 4. Such spikes coincide with other general malfunctions such as the keyboard freezing and the sound stuttering.

So far, the ONLY reliable workaround is forcibly disabling PCI Express 4.0 by setting PCIEX16_1 to “GEN 3” in the BIOS. The occasional “DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE” BSOD that may occur every now and then (with a root cause in ntoskrnl.exe) should also be fixed by that workaround.

This is the best summary of the problem as it is understood to date. I’ve recently built myself a system based on a B550 TUF motherboard from Asus, so I’m going to actually try and replicate some workloads on the rig to better test its behavior.

AMD Investigating USB Issues in 500-Series Motherboards - ExtremeTech

7 Replies

I have a X570 Asus TUF Gaming board and thankfully I haven't noticed any USB connectivity issues.

I have all my USB ports in use at this time including a 2 USB hubs.

But thanks for the update, it is good to know for the future.

unbornchikken
Journeyman III

I'm having the exact same issue with ASRock A320M-DVS R4.0. Just plug in a TPLink 5Ghz wifi adapter (tried two separate models far) into the front panel. Watch Netflix. Wait for a few minutes. Wifi goes offline, Windows cannot see the device anymore. Sometimes Windows network repair / driver reset solves the problem, sometimes not, gotta replug or gotta restart the whole system. After this issue sometimes Windows cannot recognize my mouse after the system gets restarted, gotta restart again. Pretty annoying.

0 Likes

AMD have posted a Ref. concerning this. fix is incoming.

It is strange, (i only have 4 usb ports occupied) and no issue.

My previous 9600k did have issue with 4 port plus printer, leaving printer unplugged fixed it (i still leave printer unplugged).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Check your updates for KB5000802 and delete it.

A New Windows 10 Update Is Causing Blue Screen Cra... - AMD Community

0 Likes
zjaaosi
Adept I

I Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite 1.0 / 5800x / rx5700xt / windows 11 / agesa 1.2.0.5 and 1.2.0.7

This symptom occurs only on USB mouse devices, and the same happens when you change to PCI 3.0 (relieve symptoms) and C-state disable in the BIOS.

The only way I've got left is, downgrade the BIOS.

0 Likes

I real fix Now!

Gigabyte X570 AROUND ELITE 1.0 (agesa 1.2.0.7) / 5800X / 32GB / 5700XT

In Windows 10 and 11, the USB device Real 7.1 Headset was the cause all of the malfunction.

AMD manufacturers require quick fixes to the USB device 7.1 headset.

A temporary solution is to designate the configuration as 5.1 channel surround on the sound device of the Windows Control Panel.

0 Likes

I real fix Now!

Gigabyte X570 AROUND ELITE 1.0 (agesa 1.2.0.7) / 5800X / 32GB / 5700XT

PCIeX16 : Gen3

In Windows 10 and 11, the USB device Real 7.1 Headset was the cause all of the malfunction.

AMD manufacturers require quick fixes to the USB device 7.1 headset.

A temporary solution is to designate the configuration as 5.1 channel surround on the sound device of the Windows Control Panel.

0 Likes