Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

LordOdin
Adept II

Gigabyte B550M DS3H Motherboard

Hi

I am in the process of upgrading my PC already having replaced the PSU plus a new Graphics Card. I wanted to upgrade the Asus A320M-K Mobo and this Black Friday bought the Motherboard in the title for quite a good price. My question is, i have the 5600G and was looking at replacing it with the 5600X, but that doesn't feel like much of an upgrade. I have the chance of a Ryzen 7 3700X at roughly the same price as i can get a 5600X at. My question is, should i get the 3700X instead and although the Motherboard says it supports 3000 series Processors but does that include the Ryzen 7s. Any help and advice as always will be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

If had a choice I would go for the 5000 series processors since they are newer and have improved performance compared to the 3000 series processors.

Plus with a new GPU card a newer modern processor will be preferable.

Now the R7 3700X will work out of the box with the Motherboard's original BIOS Version F1 but the R5 5600X you will need BIOS version F10 for the motherboard to recognize and boot up.

BIOS version F10 came out in 09/18/2020 so any motherboard manufactured after that date will have the correct or newer BIOS version so the 5600X should also work out of the box.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies

If had a choice I would go for the 5000 series processors since they are newer and have improved performance compared to the 3000 series processors.

Plus with a new GPU card a newer modern processor will be preferable.

Now the R7 3700X will work out of the box with the Motherboard's original BIOS Version F1 but the R5 5600X you will need BIOS version F10 for the motherboard to recognize and boot up.

BIOS version F10 came out in 09/18/2020 so any motherboard manufactured after that date will have the correct or newer BIOS version so the 5600X should also work out of the box.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

5600x is going to be a much better CPU for gaming and will just about keep up with the 3700x in multi-threaded workloads

you can just "google" 5600x vs 5600g or 3700x to see the gains your self that you'd be getting

I just bought a used Gigabyte B550m DS3H (will arrive next week) for $40'ish used (bought with a 5900x for $275 shipped.. they were $250 and $50 separate) .. I'll be throwing a 3900x on it with 2x8GB 3466 (might have to run at 3200 depending on the IMC on the 3900x), and an RX 590 8Gb GPU (that hasn't arrived yet either) .. I'll be using a 600wtt 80+ Gold PSU on it and see if it holds up under load

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Thanks guys, i thought maybe the 5600X might be the better choice. Got the Motherboard for £70.00 New and it arrived yesterday. I was going to buy used but my Luck in the used market is always bad. Saying that the Red Devil Card i just got seems pretty good. The used CPU Market in the UK is pretty high, i have seen people selling the 5600X used for more than the price of a new one with eBay especially being very expensive. I will put the 5600G and Board in another case and build a 2nd PC to either use or sell. The PC i am using now has 6 RGB Fans which run from a Hub type thing but i think it's only for the Asus Boards so might have to fork out for some new Fans and a Hub for the Gigabyte. Think the Fans will only work with the Hub that's already in but not 100% sure on that. They aren't that much to buy anyway. Thanks for the help and advice guys i appreciate it.