Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

renaudp62
Adept I

FPS drops and stutter lag freeze on 6900XT FE

Hello,

Setup:

- CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x @ watercooled (AIO deepcool castle ex 360)
- MB: Aorus X570 Ultra (Updated bios)
-16 GB DDR4 RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo CL 16-16-16-36
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000 (1000w 80+ Gold)
- 3 x M2 SSDs
- 9 x fans
- Screen: Gigabyte G27QC 1440p (Freesync premium) and a Samsung 1440p vertically for my chats & other discord (the 2 screens are connected in display port)

I have a problem with my 6900XT Founders edition.

When I play online games like fortnite or call of duty warzone I have a lot of graphic lag, stuttering and even freezes from time to time.

This issue is very common no matter what resolution I play in or what quality I play the game in.

My CPU/GPU temperatures are good...

I specify that I play in 1440p!

I tested a lot of things:

- Bios update (I tested 6 different bios)

- Change of ram slot, change the ram strips.

- Enable/disable XMP profile

- Put 100mhz difference between gpu frequencies

- Disable/Enable freesync

- Change the displayport cables

- Change my power supply (before I had a 700w bequiet and I thought that was the problem but even with the seasonic 1000W the problem still persists)

- Format to return to a healthy base on windows 10 pro

- Format to install windows 11 pro

I tested my graphics card in a friend's pc and there are also stutters so I think the problem comes from the card...

I have impressive fps drops that can reach up to 50fps in a split second...

Typically in games I can be at 140 fps then suddenly at 90 then 120 then 140 then 80 then 100... in short

They will lend me an RTX 3080 to check once again if it is my 6900XT that has a problem

In short, you will have understood it is impossible to play in such conditions..

What solution is offered to me except an RMA request from amd? Do you know what is the attitude of amd towards this kind of problem which seems to be recurring

0 Likes
21 Replies
KingWeah
Adept I

I have an amd pc for over 3 years your only solution is to ask for your money back and buy an nvidia graphics card.

I've had problems since day 1 amd never solved it because they can't solve it.

0 Likes

Seriously?

Is there any way to remove these stutter?

The problem is that I bought the card in September 2021, I doubt that amd will reimburse me...

Even if they will have to find a solution, it is not normal to buy a card a more than 1000€ and being bothered like that!

0 Likes
Karagra
Adept I

What is the actual Mhz of your ram? the 16 GB DDR4 RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo CL 16-16-16-36 you listed. Is your CPU manually overclocked or any PBO settings or any Curve Optimizer Settings set?
My thoughts here are either your CPU or Ram are unstable atm.

Also your ram should be in slot A2 and B2 which means if your going from the Processor Empty slot - Ram stick - Empty slot - Ram stick

The reason I asked about the ram speed is because a lot of 3800x can't actually run ram at 3600mhz. I would attempt to downclock it to 3200mhz. Warzone is an extremely system heavy game and will cause a unstable pc to show issues relatively quickly. As for Fortnite Stutter.. My buddy with his 3080 pc has stutter randomly in the lobby and sometimes at the start of matches. I also randomly see stutter but goes away usually before the drop ship. I run Dx12 on the game with my FPS capped 5 below my monitors Hz (which you should be doing in every game so you don't cause screen tearing going over the Freesync Limit)

Your monitor is known for black smearing issues, but I doubt your are mistaking stutter for that. Set the overdrive to "Speed" but as RTINGs review it may cause "some motion artifacts, as there's a fair amount of overshoot in bright scenes." so yeah I would say it comes down to your Ram or CPU at this point.

Re-reading your post I saw you said you use your second monitor for chats.. Did you fail to mention you are streaming when this happens? Like through OBS for example?

Hello,

This is 3600mhz for the ram frequency. Surprisingly, activating the xmp in 3600mhz or deactivating it and therefore having the ram in 2133mhz does not change anything. No overclock on the components except the xmp on the ram since it does not change anything. I already cap my games with 5 fps less than my display's max hertz :( No tearing or ghosting to report, it's really heavy stuttering and consequent drops in fps... I don't use software to stream, the 2nd screen is there simply to display discord, Google chrome, etc... As I hurt it in my main post, in another pc, the stutters are also felt on warzone and fortnite with exactly the same symptoms.. Thank you for your help

Turn on xmp profile then below it change the 3600mhz to 3200mhz.. keep xmp on so it can pull all the correct timings 

0 Likes

I'll try but I don't believe it
0 Likes

I'm sorry you paid so much for a crappy graphics card.
I paid €300 for a vega 56 and was pretty furious.

A lot of people will show up saying to test a thousand and one things, it's not even worth having this work, everything will stay the same.

Fortnite and some games you will never be able to play without these stutters and as you play some of these stutters will become less visible. Let it be clear that if you had chosen nvidia you would not have these problems

you made a bad purchase and you will have to take it with consequences like me.

Call of duty can still solve and play you just have to change some settings in adv_options

It's not bad advice that NVIDIA is more supported. But if you look around in the internet users with 3000 series cards are looking for help with micro stutter also in Fortnite and Warzone..  which there are a few settings tricks to reduce it or completely remove the problem.

My buddy with a 3080 has micro stutter in the lobby of Fortnite before matches we would both have the stuttering stop pretty much at the exact same time.

For every amd user reporting a gaming issue 9/10 times you can Google search the equivalent NVIDIA card having the same issues.

Hello,

1. try with only one monitor, pull of the cable of not used monitors
  2. disable pci-express energy saving in advanced energy profile ... or use high performance mode
  3. don't use cpu-oc in Radeon Software, but if you had using it -> reset driver settings
  4. disable fastboot in energy option "choose what to do when pushing power button"
  5. don't use chrome while gaming, it forces the high precision timer
  6. deactivate in UEFI cpu-oc like XFR2 (PBO), CPB could stay activated

Good luck!

nothing solved the problem

0 Likes

AMD has acknowledged in their release notes that they are working on fixing 6900XT performance issues in Fortnite. In the meantime, I have noticed that disabling image sharpening has helped stabilize it most of the time when I play on DX11/Multi-Rendering. I hadn't seen anyone else mention it, but that's helped in my case. Also interesting how some are seeing less issues with deepsleep tweaks (morepowertools). I don't see a need to try that yet, but maybe someone should make sure the driver team is factoring that in as well.

@dkizzy are you having any performance issues with dx12? I have major issues with dx11, but dx12 is still not good either

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

Stuff to check/do if you want . .might help .. might not:

How is your airflow in your case? You have to keep your VRM's and memory cool too

Do you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com?

Are you running separate power cables to each power input on your 6900xt?

Are you using any kind of power extension cables inside your PC case?

Are you using a PCIe riser cable?

What speed is your RAM actually running at? (Task Manager>Performance>Memory)

Make sure your RAM is installed in slots A2/B2 (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket) if running only 2 sticks on a 4 memory slotted motherboard

IF you are running your RAM at 3200 or above .. make sure your FCLK (aka Infinity Fabric) is set to a 1:1 ratio .. ie ...RAM  running at 3200, FCLK should be set to 1600 .. etc

You could try disabling fTPM in your BIOS and see if that helps

Maybe enable/disable SAM in BIOS and see if that helps

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-smart-access-memory 

ThreeDee PC specs

The airflow in my case is good and the vrms are relatively cold.

I have the bios up to date as well as the latest amd chipset!

I actually have a riser as well as cable extensions and I had already tested with and without and the problem was still present in both cases.

Currently my ram runs at 2133mhz to test but the problem is still there... and the bars are in A2 B2.

Enabling or disabling the SAM did not change anything, I had already tried.

I can't delete ftpm because I have windows 11 pro installed. However before I was under windows 10 pro and I also had these stuttering problems

I am testing an RTX 3080 Zotac Trinity OC and there no longer seems to be any stuttering or other lag on call of duty warzone.

But on fortnite I still have the same problems...

A friend ordered an intel 12700k/z690 platform.

Once he has installed it, we will try the 6900XT on it to see what happens because I admit that I am a little lost ...
0 Likes

It is well known Warzone is horribly optimized, only thing I can recommend now.. Open the Amd Software go to Performance>Tuning>Custom>Check Gpu Tuning>Advanced Control and set the min freq like 100-200 below the Max.. so if max is 2250 set min frequency to like 2050 then see if the issue continues. I run almost all my games with min frequency 100-200 below max on my 6800xt..

As I already told you, there are games that you will never be able to play in good conditions because you have an AMD graphics card

But in call of duty you won't have any problems just change some settings - Documents-> Call of Duty Modern Warfare->players-> open adv_options
put VideoMemoryScale = 0.55 and RendererWorkerCount = 3

Now you don't have more stutter in call of duty

0 Likes

Hello,

I tried everything, I also set the gpu frequency to 100 or 200mhz difference, I changed the call of duty parameters, it didn't change anything.

Result I sold my amd cpu and motherboard as well as the 6900xt.

I bought a 12700k and a z690 motherboard as well as an RTX 3080 Ti...

AMD is over, it's a shame but that's the way it is..

Thank you all for your help !
0 Likes

You made the best decision.
I already have this PC for 3 years only me and some donkeys who bought AMD we know the problems that appear in some games.
They are very strong in the markting seems everything perfect then comes the
headaches and micro stuuters and lags in the end we know we made the Wrong choice

I was having the same issue in certain games with my 6800xt. Going nuts just like you - when I came across a post somewhere here and someone pointed me to download this program called morepowertools (MPT). Within that program I had to disable all of the gpu deepsleep options (tagged with DS_) within the vbios and lo and behold, my problems were gone. I’m now able to use freesync + vsync with 0 issues. Just be aware that after every driver update it wipes your changes done in the vbios and you’ll have to go back in to MPT and disable the DS features.

@manuelmartim14 i doubt the card is bad, I think this issue has more to do with driver issues with each individual system, everyone’s components are a little different for the most part so drivers gotta work good across the board, if not amd needs to have a list of tested components for cards that work together lol. I wish I had another 6900xt to try out and see though to be sure.

0 Likes

This video lists a number of fixes for AMD users and maybe some of them will work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14QSlEvvzoA

0 Likes