cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Fans are starting and stopping every few seconds in idle (Rx480)

In the last days the fans of my Gigabyte Rx480 have become quiet annoying. While in idle Wattman is showing me an average temperature of 48-50°C, but once a minute the fans start to spin for a second and then returns to 0 rpm.
When theey are running at around 900rpm the fans are silent, but the constant starting and stopping is clearly hearable and it annoys me.

Is this a bug in the current drivers, or is this really supposed to happen? And might it be possible to let the fans run at low rpm even in idle with Wattman?

Thanks for your help.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Fans are starting and stopping every few seconds in idle (Rx480)

Have you tried using Wattman to change the Fan settings?
You might want to uninstall the driver completely, run DDU and/or amdcleanuputility.exe and reinstall the driver just in case the driver is corrupted due to a crash.

Bye.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Thanks for the advice,

I reinstalled the driver, but the problem still exists. I can change the fan settings in Wattman, but I haven't an option that allows me just to set a minimum rpm. (I don't want to change me target temperature below 50 while gaming). If you know a good configuration, I'd be glad to see it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

How about a third party OC App that lets you set a custom fan profile?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Latest version of MSI Afterburner downloaded from here: Afterburner | MSI Global

I do not know if it will work with your card, you might want to give it a try.

pastedImage_0.png

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

OK I just tested latest version of MSI Afterburner on an R9 Nano running under Windows 8.1 64Bit with 17.4.4 WHQL Driver. It works fine.
Give me about 10 minutes and I will boot into another Machine running Windows 10 Fall Edition (17.09) 64Bit running Crimson Relive 17.11.4.
I cannot guarantee it will work on that version with out testing it, since ... some features of Afterburner seem to get disabled on later AMD Drivers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

What about trying the Gigabyte App?
VGA - XTREME ENGINE

It looks has Fan Profile support.

Radeon™ RX 480 WINDFORCE 8G (rev. 1.0) | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Here is the Gigabyte UI:for your RX480.
It will control the Fan profile on a GTX 780Ti but not on tthe R9 Nano with Crimson ReLive 17.4.4 WHQL on Windows 8.1.
I do not have a Gigabyte R9 Nano though ... on this machine it is an XFX R9 Nano. pastedImage_2.png

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Thanks for your suggestions.

The Gigabyte tool isn't working at all, it starts and just crashes, allthough I own a Gigabyte Rx480.

MSI Afterburner is kinda working, but sometimes the rpm in Wattman doesn't matches the percentages in Afterburner.

I think it would be nice if there was just a feature for min fan speed or a complete fan curve in Wattman

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Here is the control I have in Wattman for an R9 Nano.
Wattman was enabled for the R9 Nano after it was created for tthe RX 480 I think.
Here is tthe type of Fan Control I have in Crimson ReLive 17,4,4 WHQL.
I can change tthe Min and Max Settings by switching over to Manual
I am surprised you cannot do that with an RX 480.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos