cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

dwikh90
Journeyman III

Error : IBS profiling is disabled in your BIOS

I want to analyze my CPU with profiller, i choose IBS OP Samples and run it. But then show the error message "Error : IBS profiling is disabled in the BIOS settings". I go to my BIOS setting, but i dont find IBS in my BIOS.  Can anyone help to fix this.  I use AMD uProf for the Profiller.

0 Likes
13 Replies

See if Github website helps in solving your problem. GitHub - jlgreathouse/AMD_IBS_Toolkit: AMD Research Instruction Based Sampling Toolkit .

The toolkit may provide the necessary driver and software to make it work without configuring any BIOS settings.

Copied from Github Link:

AMD Research IBS Toolkit Compatibility

This toolkit has been tested to compile and install on the following systems:

• CentOS 5.8 (Linux® kernel 2.6.18-419)
    • Using gcc 4.1.2
  • CentOS 6.4 (Linux kernel 2.6.32-358.23.2)
    • Using gcc 4.4.7, clang 3.4.2, cppcheck 1.63
  • CentOS 7.3 (Linux kernel 3.10.0-514.10.2)
    • Using gcc 4.8.5, clang 3.4.2, cppcheck 1.75
  • OpenSUSE 11.2 (Linux kernel 2.6.31.14-0.8)
    • Using gcc 4.4.1
  • OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 (Linux kernel 4.4.49-16)
    • Using gcc 4.8.5, clang 3.8.0, cppcheck 1.70
  • Ubuntu 9.04 (Linux kernel 2.6.28-11)
    • Using gcc 4.3.3
  • Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Linux kernel 2.6.32-21)
    • Using gcc 4.4.3
  • Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS (Linux kernel 3.13.0-113)
    • Using gcc 4.6.3, clang 3.0, cppcheck 1.52
  • Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (Linux kernel 3.19.0)
    • Using gcc 4.8.2, clang 3.4, cppcheck 1.61, pylint 1.1.0
  • Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS (Linux kernel 4.2.0-34)
    • Using gcc 4.9.3, clang 3.5.0, cppcheck 1.61, pylint 1.1.0
  • Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (Linux kernel 4.4.0-66)
    • Using gcc 5.4.0, clang 3.8.0, cppcheck 1.72, pylint 1.5.2
  • Ubuntu 16.10 (Linux kernel 4.8.0-22)
    • Using gcc 6.2.0, clang 3.8.1, cppcheck 1.75
  • Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (Linux kernel 4.15.0-20)
    • Using gcc 7.3.0, clang 6.0.0, cppcheck 1.81, pylint 1.8.3

In addition, it has been tested on the following processors, though its logic should work for any processors in AMD Families 10h, 12h, 14h, 15h, 16h, or 17h that support IBS:

• AMD Phenom™ II X4 B95
    • Family 10h Model 04h (Revision C)
  • AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T
    • Family 10h Model 0Ah (Revision E)
  • AMD Opteron™ 4274 HE
    • Family 15h Model 01h (CPU formerly code-named "Bulldozer")
  • AMD A8-5500 APU
    • Family 15h Model 10h (CPU formerly code-named "Piledriver")
  • AMD A10-7850K APU
    • Family 15h Model 30h (CPU formerly code-named "Steamroller")
  • AMD FX-8800P
    • Family 15h Model 60h (CPU formerly code-named "Excavator")
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 1800X
    • Family 17h Model 01h (CPU formerly code-named "Zen")
  • AMD EPYC™ 7301AMD Ryzen 5 2400GE
    • Family 17h Model 01h (CPU formerly code-named "Zen")
    • Family 17h Model 11h (CPU formerly code-named "Zen")

Thanks for the answer elstaci, but i use Windows now.

0 Likes

Edit: 08/06/2018 - Found out the information I gave about IBS running in Linux only was incorrect. Deleted it to prevent confusion in the future. IBS is a CPU Hardware feature that can be accessed with the proper BIOS settings and software regardless of OS.

0 Likes

Hello dwikh90,

The following response to a different, but similar, thread may help answer your question: https://community.amd.com/thread/230335#2871019

In summary, Family 17h processors with "Zen" CPUs (Model 01h Ryzen, ThreadRipper, and Epyc systems, and Model 11h "Raven Ridge" APUs are examples of these) do not necessarily have IBS capabilities enabled in the hardware by default. There are a series of steps the BIOS must go through to enable IBS, and your system's BIOS may not have that turned on by default.

The Linux IBS toolkit that elstaci linked above goes through these steps when installing our custom research driver. However, as you've noted, that is for Linux only. We have not made a similar research driver available for Windows (primarily because this was not an official product release, and the authors of this toolkit were primarily Linux developers). If your BIOS allows you to enable IBS, it should work in Windows -- so I don't think that elstaci's statement that IBS is meant to run in Linux is correct.

If you do not see a setting in your BIOS to enable IBS, you may want to contact your system vendor (or motherboard vendor) to see if they've renamed the option or if it's hidden in some sub-menu. If they've not made the option available, you may want to request a BIOS update that has this setting available. We make IBS enable/disable available as part of our AGESA system that we release to BIOS vendors. That said, your vendor may not want to go through the process and cost of enabling and validating this feature for what is likely to be a relatively small group of customers. Developers requesting hardware performance monitoring features are a potentially small market, so I, unfortunately, can't guarantee that your system vendor will give you an update that allows you to use IBS on your system.

0 Likes

It might be useful and informational if you put a note at Github that your AMD Toolkit would work in a Windows Environment if BIOS is able to enable IBS. Or at least have a link to where it would instruct on how to use the IBS in a Windows environment.

Otherwise, for those who are not familiar with IBS they may believe IBS was designed only for Linux environment. Which was the impression I got since I couldn't see any references to Windows in your toolkit.

Anyway, at least you answered the OP post. Maybe you should move this to post to AMD Server Gurus

0 Likes

For what it's worth, the AMD Research IBS Toolkit will not work on Windows, even if your BIOS enables IBS. That toolkit is specifically a research platform for using IBS hardware on Linux. I'll try to emphasize that the GitHub link above is primarily meant to enable hardware and systems software researchers, and the entirety of that toolkit is specifically focused on Linux.

IBS, the hardware performance monitoring feature available in AMD processors, should work in Windows if your BIOS supports it. You would likely use software like uProf to access it, though I am personally unfamiliar with the exact mechanisms for accessing IBS on Windows, as I do nearly all of my development in Linux.

0 Likes

Can the OP run a clean Linux Environment on his computer from a DVD and then use your AMD Toolkit or would he need to install Linux on his hard drive with full drivers for the AMD Toolkit to work correctly?

I am not familiar with IBS which is why I am asking all these questions. I understand now that IBS is not a software but a hardware feature. I also understand now that your AMD Toolkit is software to access the IBS feature in CPUs that have it running under a Linux environment and not under Windows environment.

So basically the OP is out of luck. He did mention that he is using uProf but it is asking to enable IBS in BIOS which he couldn't find.  Can Windows Toolkit access the IBS Feature or does WIndows Toolkit show something totally different than what the OP is asking? 

As you can tell I am not familiar at all with IBS. So excuse me for giving incorrect information in my earlier post. It was not intentional and I was just going by the information I was able to gather on the subject. But it is good this occurred because now I know what IBS is and would know how to respond to it in the future.

Thanks for correcting my earlier post. You comment was quite useful to me and to the OP.

0 Likes

Hi elstaci

I apologize if my replies above seemed somewhat brusque. I appreciate your feedback and the posts you've made trying to help answer the OP's question. The only reason I'm trying to be very specific in my posts is that I suspect at some point in the future someone will find these posts while trying to fix one of their own problems, so I want to make sure to correct any small mistakes that may confuse this hypothetical future person.

To answer your question: yes, the OP could do a LiveCD/LiveDVD/LiveUSB Linux boot and test out the AMD IBS Toolkit that you linked above. I do this sometimes when I need to test backwards compatibility of the toolkit with older Linux kernel versions.

Unfortunately, I suspect that this would not meet the OP's needs. They are probably trying to analyze a particular application of interest within Windows, so having IBS enabled on a temporary Linux installation, while useful to see that IBS works, won't help them analyze their software.

You're right, if the OP's system or motherboard vendor does not make IBS Enable available as a BIOS option, there's unfortunately not a lot tat can be done. The AMD IBS Toolkit was built for my own personal needs inside AMD and was released publicly to help academics and other researchers. It's not an officially supported product, so we will not be porting it to run on Windows in the foreseeable future. AMD's official mechanism for accessing IBS is through tools like uProf, but on "Zen"-based processors, these official tools require the BIOS to enable IBS.

0 Likes

No problem. I understand now that you are just try to prevent inaccurate information from being spread. Thanks for you answers.

I edited my previous comment and deleted that information about linux.

0 Likes

Yeah, thanks jlgreathouse​ for the information.
So, while waiting the vendor update IBS, maybe i'll try work on linux for enable it and running IBS.

0 Likes

how i can ask the vendor about my problem with rename/no setting IBS on my Motherboard.?

0 Likes

I would hazard a guess that this will depend on your vendor. If you bought from a large manufacturer, you may want to contact their customer service representatives through email. If you have a purchasing agent or sales representative at the company (e.g. if you are an enterprise customer), you may want to speak with them.

If you built a white-box PC yourself, you may want to contact the customer service department of your motherboard manufacturer.

Unfortunately, the exact method of doing this will depend on a lot of variables (who built your system, what country you're in, what kind of service agreement you have), and will not be able to offer much guidance about this.

0 Likes
klauspost
Adept I

VIRTUALIZATION DISABLES IBS!

At least on my motherboard I cannot enable Virtualization without IBS becoming disabled.

This is of course frustrating for those of us who use virtualization, but at least it can be made to work.

This should probably be clearer in the error message in uProf, since I spent a lot of wasted time with my motherboard supplier.