Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

meerschaut
Adept I

eGPU for Macbook Pro with a AMD radeon RX 5700 XT

Hi all,

I have a Macbook pro and would like to buy a eGPU. I bought the AMD radeon RX 5700 XT 50th but still need a eGPU case. I searched the web and the most websites give the thumbs up to use the Razer Core X with a Macbook Pro. Now after searching the specs of both products I saw a little problem, the Razer Core X gives 650W and the Razer Core X Chroma gives 700W but both cases gives max 500W GPU power support (the 150W or 200W that is left is used for charging the laptop (100W) and the rest is for the mainboard thats inside of the case. For the Chroma is the extra 50W for the RGB leds that is inside). In the specs of the RX 5700 XT is written that the cards recommended PSU needs to be 600W. Would using this case with 100W less PSU give any issues to the  graphic card? If yess, does someone know an other eGPU case that gives the recommended 600W GPU power support (or even a bit more), with a 100W charging function that is fully supported by mac?

Thank you for taking time reading my problem and helping to find a solution for it.

Have a nice day.

With friendly greetings

Nick

4 Replies

OWC OTHER WORLD COMPUTING  macsales_com, will have everything you need. Been dealing with them for over 25 years, before they even had on-line sales. Great resource for mac compatible hardware. 

0 Likes

Apple Support mentions which AMD eGPUs are compatible with which eGPU enclosure:Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Podrška 

This User in a previous Thread is asking a similar question: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1142994-macbook-pro-16-24-i9-5500m-8gb-egpu-rx-5700-xt/ 

meerschaut
Adept I

Hi all,

thank u very much for your information and helping me . So the 100W there is to short to power the graphics card is no problem?

with friendly greetings

Nick

0 Likes

Here are the Spec for the Razor X Chroma with a 750 watt PSU: https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-core-x 

If you are using MAC OS Graphics CHIPSET then the first menu is what GPU cards are supported.

Check to see if MAC OS Catalina version 10.15.1 CHIPSET Drivers which supports the RX5700 GPUs if its chipset will support it with the Razor X Chroma.

According to Apple Support it should since the Specs mentions it is certified for Windows 10 CHIPSET Drivers.

I would open a Razor Support Ticket to find out if your RX5700XT will work with MAC OS Catalina version 10.15.1 CHIPSET

But if you are using Windows 10 Graphics CHIPSET than the second menu is what GPU cards are supported.

But from what I see, the Razor X Chroma has sufficient power to run the RX5700XT. Depends on which CHIPSET Drivers you are using.